Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:54:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt, the future Bitcoin client GUI [user input needed]  (Read 57074 times)
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 11:04:58 AM

My UI is scheduled for inclusion into the mainline client eventually. I'm just not sure when. This is why this thread is called "future bitcoin client GUI". Only if you want a sneak peak, you need to build it yourself for now.

But for that reason it's indeed a waste of time to implement usability features in the mainline client. So if I discouraged you in doing that, that's exactly the point Smiley So that you can direct your development efforts to some place they make sense...

Ah okay - I didn't realise that the long term goal was to include bitcoin-qt into the mainline client - with that information it certainly makes sense to concentrate UI improvements on bitcoin-qt while still ensuring core features are placed into the mainline core.  If I have any ideas for new UI stuff, I'll fork your git and work from there!

Perhaps it would be worth putting stable bitcoin-qt release binaries on the bitcoin.org website?

Will

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 11:22:01 AM

Perhaps it would be worth putting stable bitcoin-qt release binaries on the bitcoin.org website?

Yes that's worth it. Be my guest Smiley We should get a few people to build the exe (of a certain git release) and get identical results.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:08:52 PM

My apologies if this has been asked before:

Is it related to the GUI wether all addresses created by the client for the wallet in use (even unused addresses) are made visible or not?

In other words:
I wish I was able to see ALL addresses available to my wallet (not just the ones that have been used or manually created), preferably in a seperate tab or window with an easy export function to plain text.

It would also be cool if it moved any such addresses with a transaction history into the regular tab on its own, because sometimes it happens the client uses an invisible address to have change sent back to it and without knowing that address your accumulative balance monitored with a service like btcbalance.net won't show the correct total of your btc. just to provide an example.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 03:32:45 PM

I saw your list of things to do on the new thread you created asking for help.

Since this is about yet another thing to do I brought it here as I am not ready to help with this one yet.

You mentioned paper wallet type stuff so I thought I'd add that whenever you think of importing data from someone you take into account the possibility that they already knew one of your addresses and thus were able to encrypt data intended for you so that if a mugger mugged them on the way to you the mugger would not be able to spend it or even know whether it was any kind of spendable data even without being in possession of the private key of the address of yours that the data was intended for.

Once being able to do that, another nice feature would be to be able to tell the mugger "okay, you claim to be this customer of ours, I see that you have this customer's coin certificate but how do I know you are that customer not some mugger who mugged them on the way to the shop?"

I am heading currently more toward the other end of this problem, that is, the ability to create a certificate to bring to the shop...

-MarkM- (So back to Open Transactions to try to figure how to plug in the "right" crypt routines supposedly not in there yet...)

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 06:01:15 PM

I've set up a computer to do nightly builds of this, and upload them here: http://nightly.fredwardgames.com/bitcoin-qt/. The latest git is compiled every day at 3:00 AM EST.

Currently, there's only a build for Linux, but I'm working on setting up cross compilation for windows as well.

Hopefully someone will find this helpful.

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 01:04:02 AM

Hopefully someone will find this helpful.
Awesome! I've added your link to the opening post.

Markm, goodlord666: thanks for your suggestions

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 02:10:33 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2011, 02:37:47 PM by John Smith

It now accepts bitcoin URLs of the format "bitcoin:14Z1mazY4HfysZyMaKudFr63EwHqQT2njz?amount=1.23&label=optional" (see also https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33490.0). I'll implement additional URL formats later on, those with exponents etc... Please let me know if you encounter these in actual use!

You can drag these links from your browser to the UI (any place will do, the entire window accepts drops) and it will automatically switch to the "Send coins" tab and add this recipient.

twmz

Activity: 737

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 06:51:43 PM

And for that matter, I would be fine with import/export only being available from the command line and not in the GUI at least initially.

There is a pull request on github that implements commandline/RPC functionality for importing and exporting keys:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/220

I'd need to merge this anyway if I want to expose it in the GUI.

FYI, the current code appears to have lost the ability to call RPCs (at least from the command line).  I get:

Code:
macpro:MacOS erv$ ./bitcoin-qt help
error: basic_string::_S_create

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 08:26:02 PM

What's keeping us from trusting this application to store our primary wallet?  There are some warnings on the project that this is Alpha and to use testnet.  I don't see what the problem is, if the underlying framework is actually mainline (Jeff Garzik) bitcoin source and this is mostly a wrapper.  How is the wallet in any danger?  I want to get my BTC off my Windows box and onto my Linux box using this as the main GUI.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 08:54:47 AM

FYI, the current code appears to have lost the ability to call RPCs (at least from the command line).  I get:

Code:
macpro:MacOS erv$ ./bitcoin-qt help
error: basic_string::_S_create
This is right. I'd really like to move to multiple executables.

• bitcoind: bitcoin daemon
  • bitcoin(-qt): bitcoin GUI executable
  • bitcoincl: bitcoin RPC command line

Lugging everything into one executable, as it is done in the mainline client, makes no sense. Especially the daemon: why the UI double-function as daemon? It is a waste of memory to link the UI libs if you only want to run a background process.

Also for the command line. Why load all the code for UI and network if you just want  so send a single command over JSONRPC?

(on a contrary note, I heard from other sources that -server might be broken. That's more serious and I'll look at it.)
What's keeping us from trusting this application to store our primary wallet?  There are some warnings on the project that this is Alpha and to use testnet.
That warning is really old, it has been there from the first version I uploaded to github. Many people, including me, have used the program on the production network without losing their wallet, so I am somewhat more confident now Smiley

So yes I will remove the warning... this is nothing more scary than the mainline client.

phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 06:56:25 PM

Cool beans
zellfaze

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 07:45:50 PM

Having trouble building the client for Windows.

Below is part of the compiler output:
Code:
..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src/headers.h:37:28: error: openssl/buffer.h: No such file or directory
..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src/headers.h:38:27: error: openssl/ecdsa.h: No such file or directory
..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src/headers.h:39:25: error: openssl/evp.h: No such file or directory
..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src/headers.h:40:26: error: openssl/rand.h: No such file or directory
..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src/headers.h:41:25: error: openssl/sha.h: No such file or directory
..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src/headers.h:42:28: error: openssl/ripemd.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src/headers.h:59,
                 from ..\laanwj-bitcoin-qt-0a76546\src\qt\bitcoin.cpp:10:
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:66:28: error: boost/mpl/if.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:67:32: error: boost/mpl/assert.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:68:33: error: boost/mpl/logical.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:69:33: error: boost/mpl/eval_if.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:71:31: error: boost/range/end.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:72:33: error: boost/range/begin.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:73:32: error: boost/range/rend.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:74:34: error: boost/range/rbegin.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:75:36: error: boost/range/iterator.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:76:44: error: boost/range/reverse_iterator.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:77:42: error: boost/type_traits/is_array.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:78:42: error: boost/type_traits/is_const.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:79:45: error: boost/type_traits/is_abstract.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:80:53: error: boost/type_traits/is_base_and_derived.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:81:46: error: boost/iterator/iterator_traits.hpp: No such file or directory
c:\qtsdk\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../../include/boost/foreach.hpp:82:39: error: boost/utility/addressof.hpp: No such file or directory

The full log can be found here: http://pastebin.com/uAfe97mK

Any ideas?  I presume it is probably a fairly simple problem stemming from the fact that I have no clue what I am doing here.

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 08:57:17 PM

did you do this?

Windows build instructions:
Download the QT Windows SDK and install it. You don't need the Symbian stuff, just the desktop Qt.
Download and extract the dependencies archive [1], or compile openssl, boost and dbcxx yourself.
Copy the contents of the folder "deps" to "X:\QtSDK\mingw", replace X:\ with the location where you installed the Qt SDK. Make sure that the contents of "deps\include" end up in the current "include" directory.
Open the .pro file in QT creator and build as normal (ctrl-B)

zellfaze

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 10:59:27 PM

Yes.  I made sure to extract the deps folder from the archive into my minigw folder.  Making sure that the files were copied properly.  Below are the outputs of tree if you would like to confirm this for yourself.

Here is the output of tree run on my minigw directory.
http://pastebin.com/p7B1QeVf

Here is the output of tree run on the deps directory from the archive:
http://pastebin.com/dDjhHJHX

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:19:44 AM

I thought about something that might be pretty helpful and should be easy to implement: a "waiting for" list.

Basically a list of transaction you're expecting to arrive. You pick the address you gave to the other person and the amount he should transfer to it (perhaps also add a textbox for notes). Transactions which match entries in that list are highlighted. This way you can easily keep track of outstanding transfers. Right now I do that in a seperate textfile, but it would be nice to have that ability in the client itself.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 06:28:58 AM

i like your wallet app....

but i would need the following addons:

- make your app support different coins (solid, ix i0 and btc)
 - better organization (make it possible to define own tabs and move in and outs there)
 - plugin interface (for trading and chart plugins) in some simple script language

thank you Smiley
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:11:34 AM

- better organization (make it possible to define own tabs and move in and outs there)
 - plugin interface (for trading and chart plugins) in some simple script language

thank you Smiley
I'm hereby redirecting all feature requests to Gavin Andresen for evaluation. Thanks Smiley

bitcoin-qt is currently in bugfix-only mode waiting for merge. Fix patches and small improvements are welcome, better icons/sets are welcome, and translations are very welcome. Apart from that, we're frozen.

You're welcome to fork of course.

flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:36:10 AM

thank you Smiley
I'm hereby redirecting all feature requests to Gavin Andresen for evaluation. Thanks Smiley

bitcoin-qt is currently in bugfix-only mode waiting for merge. Fix patches and small improvements are welcome, better icons/sets are welcome, and translations are very welcome. Apart from that, we're frozen.

You're welcome to fork of course.

if your interested in some help for a german translation: PM me
N.Z.

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 09:41:58 AM

Do you have Russian translation? If not, you are welcome to contact me Smiley
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:23:16 PM

if your interested in some help for a german translation: PM me
Do you have Russian translation? If not, you are welcome to contact me Smiley

There are currently the following translations in src/qt/locale:
  • bitcoin_de.ts
  • bitcoin_nl.ts
  • bitcoin_ru.ts

The Russian one is mostly up to date (except for wallet encryption, which I committed today). The German and Dutch ones are pretty much outdated and really need to be looked at.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: