Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:58:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MoneypakBuyer (member here) is a scammer  (Read 3597 times)
lucky1064 (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:03:42 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 06:43:50 AM by lucky1064

EDIT: link i forgot:  direct to moneypakbuyer profile

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=79648

---------------------
Most recent message from "Clarity"
$$$s p###: I goess, Clarity scammed you too.
$$$s p###: Guess*
$$$s p###: If you were to accept my friend request on my other account
$$$s p###: You wouldn't have let this happened to you

-----
This is after the discussion on yahoo messenger from someone calling themselves Jean Gupta...

Money Pak for BTC deal. Initially I wanted 250 first, she/he convinced me to do $500.  
Then that became a problem.

Eventually sent me a message from another yahoo account bragging about scamming me.

I have a btc address that they sent me a few cents as a test from.

I have pages of yahoo account logs.

Yahoo IDs:
clarity12@ymail.com
scrapphil

Mobile Number:
513-546-2713

Claimed name was:
Jean Terri Gupta
Kentucky
513-546-2713

Got texts from that number.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:48:28 AM

Up too many hours (tired) didn't do my due diligence....

search on the email address - prob the same one used here, and used on yahoo showed this in google:

Exchange Money Forum - E-currency, Investment, Forex, Get paid, Marketplace, Jobs > E-Currency Section > Exchange E-Currencies > Clarity is a scammer

View Full Version : Clarity is a scammer

http://exchangemoneyforum.com/archive/index.php/t-143100.html?s=d2887262311582f8da83435a6772d43d

this was clarity12@ymail.com - slightly different than mine
this was 19 dec 2012
shkiser

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:19:03 AM

Also spotted out weeks ago.. Why arent these members being banned, or atleast given a BIG OL Scammer tag, so noone sends them anymore money.. Wtf.

Free Litecoin Faucet ---> http://ltc4you.com/?r=6840
lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:36:37 AM

Yeah, believe me I've wondered that.

Have they been caught here on THIS board as well?

Anyone know WHICH admin is the best to notify... might help someone else if they get the spammer tag.  I've written 2 admins w/ links to the above posting and copies of some PM's .

Ashame it all started with good advice to post on the the currency exchange - since it has proved all but impossible to buy 30-36 BTC anywhere within a reasonable period of time.
lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:53:03 AM

I'd like to see how long / if he gets the scammer tag - I have full evidence for any admin that cares to ask.  I think I have sent enough.  But this guy should have the 5 X's under his name asap.

This is still march 15th - late.  Ill update if / when he gets scammer tags.
otherwise why mention even having them in the newbie section?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 06:25:14 AM

I'd like to see how long / if he gets the scammer tag - I have full evidence for any admin that cares to ask. 

Why are you waiting for someone to ask for it? Do you really need someone to hold your hand?

Didn't even link to the guy's account, just a name so people have to go searching for it. Nobody is going to do the work for you.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:31:42 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 06:48:16 AM by lucky1064

sorry in this post i didn't link - in the posts to admins I did provide links.

Had to inform:

Buyer of delay, moneypk of fraud, make sure other moneypks were safe / moved to another account (involved real store), informed the admins here - linking to original postings and pms, informed friend that wanted info - this is a few hours of work after getting scammed for $500 + fees, and being disappointed over maybe not getting the mining rig I hoped to buy with the btc.   

Despite that, and being tired of it all, I tried to do the board/others a service by posting it in the scamer section.  So there aren't more victims.

"Your response: since I didn't post a link, i need hand holding"  
=thats offensive and insensitive.

Sorry I didn't think to save you 5 seconds at that time.

Just asking why people seem to be accused of scamming but not get the tag.  Kind of pisses me off to find out there have been scam accusations against the same person before but no scamer tag.

Maybe I'm tired and cranky, yes.

So i'm sorry I cost you 5 seconds.

As for hand holding - no but a board with a newbie section that makes a big deal out of the scammer tag.   A board that forces newbies to that section for a decent length of time....

If the board is then not going to use the scammer tag - take it out of the sticky in that section, it is misleading.  Don't need hand holding, but don't tell me the board provides a helpful service that doesnt happen - thats not hand holding, but being lied to.

So I asked the question, this time there is ample proof - I'd like to see if the scammer tag is used, and how long it takes.  

Simple if the board won't use the scammer tag, I'm sure a user oriented post could be better done.  Right now i think that is now implemented b/c its assumed the XXXXX tags take care of it.  

Its too late, I'm in too bad of mood to tell you EXPLICITLY what i really think of your hand holding comment - maybe I'd regret it someday.  That seemed uncalled for, especially in the circumstances.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 06:46:12 AM

sorry in this post i didn't link - in the posts to admins I did provide links.

Had to inform:

Buyer of delay, moneypk of fraud, friend that wanted info, and did the board a service by posting it in the scamer section.  Plus move the rest of the moneypaks I had to another account for safety at a real store.

Sorry I didn't think to save you 5 seconds at that time.

Just asking why people seem to be accused of scamming but not get the tag.

Because being accused doesn't mean guilty? Nobody has any reason to trust you any more than that guy. You could be his sockpuppet trying to raise trust with scammer accusations for all we know. 

So I asked the question, this time there is ample proof - I'd like to see if the scammer tag is used, and how long it takes.  Mainly because its one of the posts required for all new members to read and kind of a big deal made about it.  If it is never applied, it should be removed from the newbie sticky area.

It's probably gonna take a really long time if this is how you go about it. If you really want people to know he's a scammer then post your evidence and do your best to make sure people know. Or just send pm's to random admins who probably aren't even involved in scammer tags I guess, that's fun too.

lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:52:14 AM

I posted much more info for the admins - and have offered to give them full logs of the messenger conversations etc, I have reciepts buying the mk, fraud reports, bitcoin wallet reports showing the teaser penny transfer made by the scammer to sucker me, and the message log to back it all up.  whatever is needed.

Some of that involved my private info - so it is NOT included in open posting. 

Hopefully that makes sense.

I don't know which admin is the best to constact - didn't want to spam them all  -but mentioned it to at least 2.  The default in the report pm system, and I believe in the section here.

------
what else should I have provided?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:01:57 AM

You post everything you have here Smiley
lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:13:54 AM

everything - like my personal email, phone numbers, text messages etc.

Sorry, that is too personal to put on  a public forum.

If there is someone in particular (other than who I have sent the info to) I'd be happy to have everything.

Please explain besides everything what would help:
all i have extra is my info
copies of text messages - with my info
copies of messenger logs - with my info
copies of messages to moneypk - also with my info
recieps showing when I purchased the moneypks, when my conversation was, and when they were drained.

Frankly I'm at a loss at what else I cold of posted.
Also postd logs from another board of same email being accused of scamming.
Another member has also accused this person of scamming.

This memberhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=79648

seems to be in the process of doing other deals with other members as we speak. 

Would you rather I wait days (and these guys get scammed as well)

Maybe I'm too pissed off to think straight.  But some of the comments here seem crazy.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:55:11 AM

No, not your details, but post YOUR messages to moneypakbuyer, remove references to your identity, etc.

The admins are not a court, they don't have legal powers, you need to convince other people that this person is a scammer first. Not saying I don't believe you, but people don't get scammer tagged from accusations alone.
shkiser

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:10:58 AM

Here is a thread I made 11 days ago, about this same user trying to scam me. Look at the responses I was given and tell me why he has no scammer tag...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149077.msg1582429#msg1582429
I even hyperlinked it for you BadBear

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 02:45:28 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 03:15:02 PM by BadBear

(In response to several angry pms, I decided afterwards to build on it a bit, remove the quotes for readability/privacy, and post it publicly)
I don't do scammer tags dude, that's admins, not mods. I can request one, but I still have to meet the same burden of evidence as everyone else does, including you. I can't do anything you can't easily do yourself. Theymos has full and complete discretion regarding scammer tags, this is his forum. He also has a lot of duties and little time on his hands. We've tried outsourcing it, there's even a thread about it, but nobody really wants to do it in the end, especially for free. How much do you value your time? How long did it take you to decide to send that guy 500 dollars? How long do you expect someone else to spend deciding whether this guy should receive a scammer tag or not? How much do you think that guys time is worth?

What kind of deterrent would you suggest? What do you think will stop predators like this? They surround any forum related to money, it isn't just this forum, it's just more rampant because of no chargebacks, no authority to turn to, and the lack of personal responsibility so many have when it comes to their money because they are so used to depending on others (credit card companies or the bank for example). So they run to the forum in order to post a thread, get angry and try to pin all their problem on the forums and the big evil people who just won't give that totally anonymous guy the scammer tag he so richly deserves so he can be appropriately punished  Roll Eyes.  

What I said was it's pretty much a waste of time to give him a tag. I don't think it's a complete waste of time to give him a scammer tag, and no that isn't "policy". If he did scam you he probably needs a scammer tag to save the next sucker, but he can easily make another account (IP's are easily faked or hidden) and those same dupes you linked me earlier that are in the process of perhaps getting scammed are just gonna get scammed anyway. They are sending money to a fresh account with 13 posts. It being a month old means nothing, the guy has probably scamming here for longer than a month if you just stop and think about the situation objectively. Any forum revolving around money is going to have scammers in the wings, and this one is no exception, probably even more so due to how easy bitcoin is to "play" with and the fact that the people who tend to get scammed via paypal/moneypak are young people wanting to buy drugs from wherever.

People who get scammed so easily are hurting this forum by bringing more and more scammers, and I hate seeing naive people like you (I really do hate it, that's why I ignore this subforum mostly, my time is better spent elsewhere)  lose their money to predators who scam, get tags, and just abandon the account and start again. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy has 50 accounts running through proxies, just scamming people left and right, just queueing up new accounts to replace the ones that get a tag. Banning won't help either.

I may be harsh, I may be a dick, but I won't apologize for it and I won't delete my posts. I love bitcoin and this forum (many hours of entertainment to be had here) and I hate seeing what it's turned into with how gullible people are and how easy it is to get scammed, and how rampant scamming is with a currency of this sort that has no failsafes.

It's actually been quite illuminating, I don't even know if people are ready for something like bitcoin. I've never been of the opinion that it will take over world trade and cause the end of the banks or whatever, it's just not very convenient for the kind of transactions I do daily. Maybe it will be in the future, maybe someone will build on it and use bitcoin and the blockchain as a backbone to do something really awesome. It's still useful, but it doesn't need to do everything to be useful and valuable.

Edit: Actually you know what, in the end I agree with you, we should just remove the scammer tag system. People depend on it too much and use it as justification to be dumb assholes and send money to anonymous people on the internet (who couldn't possibly be lying), then blame the forum for their dumb asshole mistakes so they don't have to admit they're a dumb asshole.  

Edit part deux:
Here is a thread I made 11 days ago, about this same user trying to scam me. Look at the responses I was given and tell me why he has no scammer tag...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149077.msg1582429#msg1582429
I even hyperlinked it for you BadBear

Here, I'll one up you and quote the most important post in that thread. This whole post can be directed at you as well.

Here's a concise guide to moneypak scammers: Anyone who sells btc for moneypak turns out as a scammer.

TLDR
People need to take more personal responsibility and stop depending on others to do things for them, and relying on scammer tags to keep you and your money safe is, in the end, just dumb. But if you send me a pm, I'll take time out of my weekend of liquor, card games, and women to try and get this guy the scammer tag he so richly deserves and ruin his reputation forever and ever, then everything will be ok and he will never ever come back.

I may be slightly jaded  Wink.

lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 09:09:06 PM

1. If you can't add scammer tags - then you should of stayed out of the conversation.  It didn't cost any of your free volunteer time to read a post that doesn't concern you

2. Yes, your attititude sucks.  Kick a guy when he is down.  Nice job being an a**hole.

3. You say they guy is new - 3 month old account, not 1 like you said.  Reading is fundamental, might look into it.

4.  I personally pmed 2-3 people it looked like he was currently doing business with trying to help prevent them from being scammed.

5.  I propose either getting rid of a system that is obviously broken - see the old reports above of the same poster scamming others, no tag.

6.  Get rid of the newbie sticky talking all about the scamer tag system.

7.  Maybe ask around for a moderator(s) interested in only checking out scammers.  Might not be that hard to prove or take much time if SOMEONE was in charge of it.  Right now appears no one is.

Perhaps an age of account vs post count system:
account less than 1 mo old : instant potential scamer mark
Account less than 3 mo old : accusation mark
Account greater than 3 mo : no mark - 24 hrs for accuser to present                           proof.

I could provide the proof in a private pm type system in a matter of minutes.  Poof, scammer tag - took a mod all of maybe 5 min to evaluate my complain.  Offer the scamer a period of time to defend themself or get the tag removed.  Time maybe 5 min to read thru counter arguments. 

Wow - 10 minutes to investigate a claim.

That is a lot less than you have invested in this article, when you can't add the spammer tag.  So  you invested the time just to intentionally be a jerk.  Thanks.  Nice people around here.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 10:09:05 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2013, 10:20:00 AM by BadBear

I could provide the proof in a private pm type system in a matter of minutes.  Poof, scammer tag - took a mod all of maybe 5 min to evaluate my complain.  Offer the scamer a period of time to defend themself or get the tag removed.  Time maybe 5 min to read thru counter arguments.  

Wow - 10 minutes to investigate a claim.

That is a lot less than you have invested in this article, when you can't add the spammer tag.  So  you invested the time just to intentionally be a jerk.  Thanks.  Nice people around here.

Wow, it would only take you 5 minutes to completely evaluate a situation, consider all causes and effects or possible reasons, then ruin someone's reputation, based on what one guy on the internet says? I don't really have much else to say then, not much to respond to. Best of luck, hopefully you learned a valuable life lesson.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33835.0

lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 08:16:43 PM

Less than 10 min to investigate this and prove its a scam - in private PM or chat etc YES, certainly.

Bad bear
1.  Yes you truly are an a**hole.

2.  If you dont'  can't investigate this or add the scammer tag, then your comments here are just to what prove what a jerk you are?

3.  Not one admin has told me what add''l proof they would like to see, i've offered many suggestions. 

4.  Isn't that your job as mod of this forum to at least connect people to to the "people above you" (meant in many ways) that get things done.

5.  You seem bad at your job in addition to being a jerk.
    Don't worry I did your/ scammer tag peoples job for you and have tried to warn people that had deals with the scammer in progress.

Thanks for being as much of a jerk thru the process as you could. 
Your personality really shows through.

I hope we never speak again.  (meeting in a back alley, you and the scammer might be fun though.)

This is my last message to you and likely on this post.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 09:31:38 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 09:19:34 AM by TheButterZone

I'm confirming MoneypakBuyer's scammer tag on the behalf of one of his larger victims on another trading forum, and myself.

MoneypakBuyer purchased 0.20123963 BTC from me via Liberty Reserve on March 12, 2013 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152567.0

His Liberty Reserve ID is U2512668. I was only able to google it after I received the $9.90 (after 1% receiver fee at LR), as I didn't ask for it in advance. I found the victim's thread accusing MoneypakBuyer's LR ID of a $1500 theft: http://www.money-pak.com/index.php?p=/discussion/49/zaukash-scammer/p1
and contacted the victim with all the details. After we waited nearly a month for LR admin to say/do anything about the stolen funds, the victim requested to be paid what little there was left of the $1500, the $10 ($9.90) that MoneypakBuyer paid to me. I just did so, $9.90 recovered to the victim.

MoneypakBuyer is welcome to return the BTC to the address under my QR code avatar anytime.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
shkiser

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:43:03 AM

absolutely ridiculous this guys been able to get over on so many ppl with the same username. He tried to scam me a cpl months back, and when I made a thread to expose, I was told hes been marked as a scammer in the scammer thread, and since then he's scammed several other ppl. Why can someone just ban him or give him a scammer tag. Honestly it couldnt take more than a few minutes of someones time, and would put an end to that username atleast.

lucky1064 (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:31:34 AM

Why the scammer tag finally now?  What has changed since my evidence was not enough? The mod reply that only buisiness done thru pm here is proof BS???

This guy now has PM proof?

Or the mod's are not telling the truth? 

Still wonder why no reply from the mods re: If the only proof you require is PM posts, why not make noobs aware of that - and update your scammer tag nonsense in the newbie section - alerting them to how hard a scam tag is to get.

??Wondering who this guy messed with now, or what has happened.

Hats off to the mods in either case, glad to see it applied.  Just wish it was done sooner, and handled better.
(so a little back handed, but still)

Thanks to the mods for adding the tag scammer.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: