Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:00:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When are you shutting down your GPU rigs?  (Read 4167 times)
deathcode (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:26:09 AM

I am very surprised to see a lot of postings on here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=21112.920 of people mining at rates of 30-300 Mhash (just randomly chosen numbers)
I'm pulling about 3 Ghash and I'm debating when should I stop and sell my 7970's to recoup some of my investment.
I think that at the current difficulty, almost 5m, it gets pretty pointless to mine at anything less than 2 Ghash/s unless you have free power.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:41:03 AM

About 1/3 of what I make needs to be converted to USD to pay for the electric bill. Also, my rigs are heating some of my rooms. The Maine Winter is usually pretty brutal, but I won't need the heat come late April. So I'll keep using them even if 90% of what they mine will be used to pay the electric bill. I'll sell once I start losing money. However, I plan on switching over to LTC once the BTC hashrate picks up. So unless I am breaking even with LTC, I'll be getting rid of mine.

I'm in it for the long run.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
joshv06

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 08:49:34 AM

Well although I'm making less bitcoins, I'm making around the same amount in USD from the time I used to make ~1btc a day and it used to be 10$. I have pre-ordered 2 ASIC SC Singles, the ~$5 month delay has actually allowed me to gain ~$1300-$1500 in mining. I'm shutting down my GPU rig when profits reach ~$4 a day. And to touch on what Mufa23 said, my rig is watercooled and has been heating my room throughout winter! I just hope the singles get here before the summer weather rolls in.

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 08:56:34 AM

I tend to look at this a little different than most, People see this as a "business" and have to account for cost, I am looking at it as a investment in the freedom of mankind, I will allways be mining to what I can afford in electricity, Any BTC I can make will be seen as a bonus.

So in answer, I am in it for the long haul, GPU's, FPGA's even ASICS If/when they arrive.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 09:07:57 AM

Well although I'm making less bitcoins, I'm making around the same amount in USD from the time I used to make ~1btc a day and it used to be 10$. I have pre-ordered 2 ASIC SC Singles, the ~$5 month delay has actually allowed me to gain ~$1300-$1500 in mining. I'm shutting down my GPU rig when profits reach ~$4 a day. And to touch on what Mufa23 said, my rig is watercooled and has been heating my room throughout winter! I just hope the singles get here before the summer weather rolls in.

It was 89F here in SoCal today - 94F in the rooms with my miners even with AC going (commercial) so I've already taken down my older cards and sold locally before it becomes impossible to sell them. What's the point making $30 in BTC in 2 months of mining on a 6870 if the card will sell for $30 less. I just buy BTC with my proceeds.

When the GPU farms hit eBay the prices will drop for resale - at least until Xmas.

I had over 50GH, now down to 18GH.
turboNOMAD

Activity: 120
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 09:29:22 AM

At current price, it's profitable to mine all the way up to 50-60 million diff. That's what I'm going to do.
Rodyland

Activity: 499

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 09:42:08 AM

I shut my miner software down late last year (only a single cardnoteven high end) when myreturns fell off a cliff. Now i am buying some coins out of every pay cheque instead.   

I intend to go ASIC   once they actually  hit  the market in volumes because i am  a believer.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 10:07:51 AM

I do not understand why anyone would shut down their rigs when mining Litecoin to dump for Bitcoin yields more. We are not going to see a Litecoin ASIC for a while yet.

Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:07:09 AM

I shut them down after reward halving and opened them again after BTC $30

The market is pricing bitcoin as though ASICs don't exist at $40-50 GPUs are still profitable.

The heat is useful in winter and as long as it covers the energy bills keep 'em running until you have an ASIC in your hand.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:17:27 AM

I shut them down after reward halving and opened them again after BTC $30

I'm not sure how sound a strategy this is.

If I hadn't let my rig sit broken through last spring/summer in the $4-6 times, I'd be sitting pretty right now.

Speculation of course...

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:59:14 AM

Speculation of course...

Yes, in hindsight I should have let them run at a loss.  Roll Eyes

VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:04:56 PM

I just run the mining on my PC I get ~ 170 Mhash/s which is not a lot but it's better then nothing. I usually let it run during the day and I work on the PC while mining in the evenings. With current BTC price it's still profitable, even when 30% of proceeds go to payment for electricity. I have preordered one BFL ASIC Single so once the ASICS are actually here I will stop mining on the GPU for sure.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 01:11:49 PM

Sold 3 out of 4 of my 7970s already. It's an awesome time for 7970 resale.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
scifimike12

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:23:22 PM

Shut down all of my rigs earlier this week.  Got a few interested buyers in some of the parts (SSDs, video cards).  The hard part now is the silence throughout my home.  I really do miss that whirling noise, especially in my bedroom.  I had a rig in there and it actually helped me fall asleep a little easier.    Cry

Oh well, I knew this day would come eventually.  I was originally planning on stopping back in October but soon realized that the added heat output from the miners was warming parts of my house that don't get it otherwise from the heater.
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 03:51:46 PM

Still not thinking about that. Since my electricity is free, gear payed of, I think it will be few more months

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:48:27 PM

I have relatively cheap power ($0.10/kWh), so I still have a while to go before the rigs get turned off. 
hardpick

Activity: 265

Football President

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 04:19:32 AM

I pay 0.26C per kw/h --- so sold my all my GPU's  about 12 months ago when bitcoin's price were low
Today at high bitcoin prices I still would sell them as they are noisy - and hot - and only a small profit can be made
I am waiting on asic rigs --
hope2907

Activity: 432

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:05:35 AM

I am very surprised to see a lot of postings on here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=21112.920 of people mining at rates of 30-300 Mhash (just randomly chosen numbers)
I'm pulling about 3 Ghash and I'm debating when should I stop and sell my 7970's to recoup some of my investment.
I think that at the current difficulty, almost 5m, it gets pretty pointless to mine at anything less than 2 Ghash/s unless you have free power.

why don't you come to alt coin?

everything like factory, when it first time introduced it needs bare hand to make something, later, automatic, robot, but new factory open everyday, like old they still need bare hand Cheesy

sr 4 my poor eng
hardpick

Activity: 265

Football President

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 05:26:29 AM

"why don't you come to alt coin?"

what is alt coin?
do u have a link ?

everything like factory, when it first time introduced it needs bare hand to make something, later, automatic, robot, but new factory open everyday, like old they still need bare hand Cheesy

sr 4 my poor eng
hope2907

Activity: 432

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:44:23 AM

"why don't you come to alt coin?"

what is alt coin?
do u have a link ?

sr 4 my poor eng

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0

=))
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: