Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:40:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is bitcoin overpriced?
Yes it should be 17 like you said Jay. - 8 (13.1%)
No I think 47ish is about right - 7 (11.5%)
No, it should be over 50 bucks. People will pay it, they just have to understand and believe us... really... - 14 (23%)
Way overpriced.. bitcoins are worthless I'm just in it for the pump and dump. - 3 (4.9%)
One coin is going to be worth 50k in 10 years. - 29 (47.5%)
Total Voters: 61

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin doomed to fail because of all the horders?  (Read 2477 times)
jayleno (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:12:51 PM

It seems like everyone is in this for the end game. That is the currency being very scarce and worth lots of money, IE. hoarders becoming rich. But if it appreciates so fast and everyone wants to just hold on to it. It isn't very liquid a commodity is it? Those people exchanging gift cards for bit coins etc, turn around and do what? Do they cash in their bitcoins usually for a marginal profit? Seems like hoarding might be artifically inflating the price of the currency. Just looking at the charts it seems 17 dollars is a more practical figure. Thoughts?
Stapleddiet

Activity: 89
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:21:18 PM

I spend some, I save some just like I have done with fiat, so no, saving will not doom bitcoin. Saving is necessary if I wish to purchase things of great value at a later date, like a house or car.
When I get paid fiat I dont feel the need to instantly spend it all so why should bitcoin be any different?
jayleno (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:29:24 PM

I know that I will die of starvation, homeless on the streets, before I sell a single Bitcoin. So... yes.

To be honest looking at the numbers if this ball keeps rolling I'd agree with this philosophy. I'd hate for it to be worth 1000 bucks one day and I look back at using 1 to buy a 50 dollar Walmart giftcard or a pizza.
Woodstock

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:37:47 PM

I know that I will die of starvation, homeless on the streets, before I sell a single Bitcoin. So... yes.

To be honest looking at the numbers if this ball keeps rolling I'd agree with this philosophy. I'd hate for it to be worth 1000 bucks one day and I look back at using 1 to buy a 50 dollar Walmart giftcard or a pizza.

I agree
stevedekorte

Activity: 30

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:42:36 PM

Saving simply increases the value of the circulating coins. If anything, this acts as a positive price signal to the market that there is confidence in bitcoin being a superior secure distributed ledger than other ledgers such as fiat and precious metals.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 11:43:34 PM

Hoarders? You've heard of BitcoinJam right? If you feel that way then go lend your coins to startups and people there you filthy miser Tongue

I think it all depends on how the dev team handles it and the community remains pretty anarchistic Bitcoin will probably do well, but I'm feeling fairly cautious right now, I'm still betting on Bitcoin because it's a wise move and really damn cheap right now Cheesy, but when I can afford it I'll probably diversify into gold and silver.
jayleno (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:49:17 PM

I appreciate the Jr and Senior members of the board chiming and addressing my concerns. I'm not sure if there's a study on mob greed but I can't ever recall it being a good thing. Of course I do feel very pleased that no major websites have accepted BTC yet, that seems like another milestone domino just iching to fall. Also the MSBNC types are advising people not to get involved, which is another good sign because they always lead their viewer astray. We will see how it goes.. everything's a risk, but its always interesting to get the opinion of those with more experience.
jayleno (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:02:33 AM

I appreciate the Jr and Senior members of the board chiming and addressing my concerns. I'm not sure if there's a study on mob greed but I can't ever recall it being a good thing. Of course I do feel very pleased that no major websites have accepted BTC yet, that seems like another milestone domino just iching to fall. Also the MSBNC types are advising people not to get involved, which is another good sign because they always lead their viewer astray. We will see how it goes.. everything's a risk, but its always interesting to get the opinion of those with more experience.

Wordpress and Reddit are fairly big websites.

Nah.. I mean Wordpress was free from what I thought.. and well Reddit is free too. I mean they aren't very ecommerce driven sites. When I say big I'm thinking. Amazon (unlikely have own currency), Ebay (impossible), NewEgg, EastBay (shoes!), Walmart.com, Apple.com, etc... The sites that rack in huge money online and are all about moving product. 
jayleno (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:20:19 AM

Wordpress and Reddit are fairly big websites.

Nah.. I mean Wordpress was free from what I thought.. and well Reddit is free too. I mean they aren't very ecommerce driven sites. When I say big I'm thinking. Amazon (unlikely have own currency), Ebay (impossible), NewEgg, EastBay (shoes!), Walmart.com, Apple.com, etc... The sites that rack in huge money online and are all about moving product. 

Well, you should have specified "commerce" websites. Wink

But you do see my point that there are still many milestones out there to boost the currency to greater highs, right?
bitracing

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:54:46 AM

Hoarding inflates the price of bitcoins...just like it does every other commodity on the planet. That doesn't mean hoarding is bad. Its just a part of human nature to hoard things that are valuable, like birds and shiny things lol.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:08:26 AM

Pthh.  The price is going to be a trillion per BTC by 2020.  No way in hell I'm letting my .004 BTC go.

Tongue

jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:55:54 AM

Bitcoin is doomed to SUCCEED because of the hoarders!

Bitcoin's secret weapon is that so many are held by true believers, people in it for the long term, who will not dump on the dips, but will use them as an opportunity to accumulate more.

What we need is relatively stable, steadily increasing prices, and the hoarders are the ones who will make that happen.

One of Bitcoin's biggest strengths is that they cannot be shorted - you have to have Bitcoins to sell them - so we will not see the extreme volatility you see in other places.

There will always be liquidity.  When BTC reaches $1,000 USD, I'll probably sell a few hundred to lock in my profits.  When it gets to $10,000, I'll probably sell a few hundred more to guarantee a comfortable retirement.  When it gets to $1,000,000, I'm going to sell a few to get a really nice house on a hill!

Everyone has their price!

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:44:45 AM

Not doomed to fail, but it is a big problem that makes it look like a ponzi. I know it's not!
But in order for Bitcoin to make it as a currency, it must work. Right now, it doesn't work. By "work" I mean, it must flow, move, be used for things other than speculation.
dscotese

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 02:54:24 AM

Hold Your Horses There Guys!
Bitcoin is a currency.  Why compare it to fiat, which is basically crap?  Oh yeah, because the prices of your water and your gas and your milk are in fiat.  So sorry about that!  Who wants to start a Bitcoin grocery chain?  We could provide a steadily increasing exchange rate so people with cash can still buy.  Eventually, employees and other bitcoiners will be the only ones able to afford our groceries, so people will have to hop on or become subsistence farmers, just like the bankers have already done to the world with their fiat!

Only I don't think any of US are going to feel justified using governments to force people to use bitcoins the way legal tender laws do all over the planet.  And war?  Who wants to go to war over bitcoin?  That's nuts!

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:55:34 AM

Not doomed to fail, but it is a big problem that makes it look like a ponzi. I know it's not!
But in order for Bitcoin to make it as a currency, it must work. Right now, it doesn't work. By "work" I mean, it must flow, move, be used for things other than speculation.

Sad.

Bitcoin does flow, and is being used for other things than speculation.  For myself, I buy stuff with it all of the time; from cell service airtime to handmade knick-knacks of Etsy to high end candies to hats for my characters on Team Fortress 2.  As of this moment, Bitcoinwatch reports that while there have been just over 20K BTC that have changed hands in the past 24 hours there have been nearly 5 and half million BTC sent across the network during that same period.  Even discounting double the volume on MtGox from the main network, in order to account for the maximum number of coins that could have been fed into and withdrawn from MtGox during that same time period to service the speculators still leaves us with over 5.4 M BTC in motion.  That's just about 270 times the nominal bitcoin volume of the single largest pool of speculators in the bitcoin economy.  During the last fast rise and crash in 2011, speculation formed the greater part of the Bitcoin economy; but this is no longer so.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:18:38 AM

It seems like everyone is in this for the end game. That is the currency being very scarce and worth lots of money, IE. hoarders becoming rich. But if it appreciates so fast and everyone wants to just hold on to it. It isn't very liquid a commodity is it? Those people exchanging gift cards for bit coins etc, turn around and do what? Do they cash in their bitcoins usually for a marginal profit? Seems like hoarding might be artifically inflating the price of the currency. Just looking at the charts it seems 17 dollars is a more practical figure. Thoughts?

Computers fall massively in price every year yet for some crazy unknown reason people still buy computers, why oh why does anyone EVER buy a computer when they know it will be cheaper next year?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:25:42 AM

Let's not forget the long-term value of Bitcoin is 100% determined by is utility.  That utility can only grow if it is SPENT!

SPEND your Bitcoins!  SPEND your bitcoins for &#$@ sake! But buy at least as much as you spent back back with your fiat.

Doing that insures you maintain your holding AND builds utility so those holding don't turn into nothing later on.
string

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:56:15 AM

The recent extreme price rise is worrisome and it is very obvious that trade volume has decreased so as the post above has pointed out it btc needs to be spent. On the other hand, I don't think "hoarders" will sink the ship so to speak so I really would not worry about it too much. Does anybody not save up currency? Of any kind? You have to spend it here and there but the goal is to save it up... spend a little to get some more...
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:59:59 AM

Yes. It's been failing since 2009, so obviously, OP is correct. Everyone's hoarding it, nobody is using it. End of thread. Let's move on.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:59:24 AM

The recent extreme price rise is worrisome and it is very obvious that trade volume has decreased so as the post above has pointed out it btc needs to be spent.

That's obvious, is it?

Where do you people come from?  Langley?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: