Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:02:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The IoT failed too?  (Read 889 times)
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 04:14:21 PM

Looks like IoT is another technology, which is failing...

"People who have been following the tech news may recall the name Lizard Squad. This hacker collective has been a major pain in the neck for computer users all over the world. But it looks like they are changing tactics. Instead of relying on computer botnets, they are now enslaving other internet-connected devices to wreak more havoc.

LIZARD SQUAD IS STILL ON THE SCENE

While most people agree the Internet of Things is a magnificent concept, it also poses a significant security risk. The majority of Internet-connected devices is not equipped with proper security precautions. In theory, any device connected to the internet can be hacked and taken over by malicious individuals.

That seems to what Lizard Squad is showcasing already. The collective has been making a name for itself by using compromised computers to execute DDoS attacks around the world. But it looks like the Internet of Things is their new favorite target as of late. With millions of connected devices to choose from, creating a botnet has never been easier.

Over the past few months, Lizard Squad hacked CCTV cameras and webcams all over the world to execute its DDoS attacks. Targets ranged from banks to governments, and gaming sites to ISPs. Albeit internet-connected devices are not always as powerful as a computer, they are much easier to control remotely. Plus, a lot of less-powerful devices combined can still pack quite the punch.

Top put this into perspective, some of the recent Lizard Squad attacks managed to drive 400 Gbps of data to specific websites and servers. That is quite a lot of computer requests to bring down any network, or at least cripple it severely. Interestingly enough, it remains unknown whether or not Lizard Squad is trying to force targets to pay up to get rid of the attacks altogether.

These attacks paint a worrisome picture for the future of Internet of Things security, though. The vast majority of devices will need to be made a lot more secure before they are actively used on the Internet. Computers are not safe from harm, either, though, as hacker collectives will try to exploit any weakness in any device."

Source: http://themerkle.com/iot-devices-are-being-hacked-by-lizard-squad-to-execute-ddos-attacks/

From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 08:53:47 PM

Looks like IoT is another technology, which is failing...

Source: http://themerkle.com/iot-devices-are-being-hacked-by-lizard-squad-to-execute-ddos-attacks/

spartak_t it would be cool if u could explain how ur statement is related to the article

~CfA~

raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 10:10:48 PM

well... i remember a time where wifi were a big flaw on it security and right now is "ok".
these new concepts, like iot and byod need some time to be improved.

i still belive in in iot.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 10:30:30 PM

they can hack cars before they've even become self driving. they'd better come up with some iron clad security for all of this stuff or it's gonna get insanely messy insanely quickly.
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 11:52:02 PM

/goes back to flip phone

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2016, 02:13:00 PM

spartak_t it would be cool if u could explain how ur statement is related to the article
~CfA~

Well, it's looking pretty much like the DAO's, but IoT has a lot more investments involved.

they can hack cars before they've even become self driving. they'd better come up with some iron clad security for all of this stuff or it's gonna get insanely messy insanely quickly.

Sure: https://twitter.com/FAILCommunity/status/750000363126812673

iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:36:14 PM

I appreciate spartak_t raising awareness of this issue of IoT being a hacking vulnerability, which I wasn't focused on.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 07:10:38 PM

IoT is still a technology that is being tested, so it's normal that we see some issues at its beginnings. It is much like the internet on it beginning a lot of issues were identified. It is normal to see these things happen while the technology is still new. Some years from now the tech will be prepared to overcome a lot of issues.
raphma

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 09:07:06 PM

IoT is still a technology that is being tested, so it's normal that we see some issues at its beginnings. It is much like the internet on it beginning a lot of issues were identified. It is normal to see these things happen while the technology is still new. Some years from now the tech will be prepared to overcome a lot of issues.

yeah, that was my point too.
every new technology have some flaws, and it doest mean it failed. give it time to see whats gonna happen with these flaws.
doriangray

Activity: 567
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 02:21:23 AM

yeah, that was my point too.
every new technology have some flaws, and it doest mean it failed. give it time to see whats gonna happen with these flaws.

I agree with both of you, IOT is not that perfect at this point in time. I expect those hacking problems can be easily resolved in the future.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1454

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 07:47:38 AM

Maybe IoT is not yet ready for us if we cannot secure this properly. I would hate to be locked in my car and it will drive at 100 miles per hour with the hacker at the other side of the world acting like he was playing Grand Theft Auto. No sir.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 07:50:55 AM

I appreciate spartak_t raising awareness of this issue of IoT being a hacking vulnerability, which I wasn't focused on.

ya man

ATM's are running windows XP , the "IoT" is a hackers wet dream.
hence the DAO fail.   
theres SO much upgrading to be done, it just easier to offer "no liability" to consumers.

give it 5 years haha

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 11:36:14 AM

maybe they run xp because they've got it locked down? you hear of atms being accessed from the outside in but never the other way around.
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 01:27:45 PM

IoT is a corporate construct.
Learn to differentiate between corporate constructs and trends.
One is marketing, the other is reality.

iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 03:40:37 PM

IoT face a lot of hurdles to be overcome. The two primary ones are indeed Security, but also Infrastructure, which we over at www.iotatoken.com are working on by allowing sharing of resources and infrastructure.

Dekker3D

Activity: 434

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 03:44:05 PM

I guess we should try to focus on spreading usage with the existing altcoins first before creating new ones with futuristic features and terms.

iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 03:46:53 PM

I guess we should try to focus on spreading usage with the existing altcoins first before creating new ones with futuristic features and terms.

Uhm, IOTA is not an 'altcoin' and has been in development since summer 2015, we have already teamed up with several world leading companies that are working on IoT. The reason you haven't seen much about it on altcoin forum is simply because we don't work on altcoins, we work on technology. IOTA is the first distributed ledger with zero fees, and it doesn't even have blocks, it has a brand new structure. Read the whitepaper if you want to understand this kind of stuff instead of just kneejerk reactions to something you don't understand.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: