Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:40:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CARPE DIEM on the Cyprus news!  (Read 13893 times)
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 08:20:40 AM

Dear Saver:

The Euro is an experimental currency.  Use at your own risk.  Don't invest more into the Euro than you can afford to lose.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:00:57 AM

Regardless of whether you want to kick that nerd's face or not, OP has a great point. This is a great moment for Bitcoin.

If I were MtGox, Bitcoin-central, or any other SEPA-zone exchange, I'd be considering making some advertising on Cypriot television. Perhaps these exchanges could group together to pay for a collective ad. Something briefly explaining why Bitcoin is not affected by such confiscation ("decentralized network not controlled by any single authority, be it bankers or governments").

I'm not into marketing so I'm probably not the best person to come up with such ad. But I'm sure there are talented people around here that could create a great one.

This is the moment to start hitting some "mainstream" folks, at least in Cyprus!
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:04:38 AM

Regardless of whether you want to kick that nerd's face or not, OP has a great point. This is a great moment for Bitcoin.

If I were MtGox, Bitcoin-central, or any other SEPA-zone exchange, I'd be considering making some advertising on Cypriot television. Perhaps these exchanges could group together to pay for a collective ad. Something briefly explaining why Bitcoin is not affected by such confiscation ("decentralized network not controlled by any single authority, be it bankers or governments").

I'm not into marketing so I'm probably not the best person to come up with such ad. But I'm sure there are talented people around here that could create a great one.

This is the moment to start hitting some "mainstream" folks, at least in Cyprus!

A bit late for that I'd guess. If they have partially locked accounts for transfers and withdrawals, why would it be different for SEPA transfers?

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:21:22 AM

A bit late for that I'd guess. If they have partially locked accounts for transfers and withdrawals, why would it be different for SEPA transfers?

It can't remain locked forever. And there are multiple ways to move money around. Localbitcoins could see some increasing traffic from Cyprus, if only Cypriots were more aware of Bitcoin... (and a good part of the money being sold via localbitcoins would likely have been bought via exchanges, so they could still profit from some advertising)
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 10:02:43 AM

Imagine you are standing alone right in front of the goal of the other team and some idiot from the other team throws the ball right into your hands.

I have been in strategic corporate communications for two decades and if last week you would have asked me as a PR-guy what the best thing would be to happen to Bitcoin to show people what advantages Bitcoin has, I would probably have answered "the first country to start confiscating people's savings." I have to admit I could not have imagined that this could happen so fast.

This is just one rare great opportunity to trigger interest in Bitcoin. Just spread the meme 'Bitcoin user not affected'. People are talking about this everywhere and realise, that what happens in Cyprus can happen in their own country everywhere and anytime and that when it happens, it will be done without any notice and without any chance to withdraw their funds beforehand.

It is a point where you don't have to go through all the difficulties trying to explain crypto-currency alltogether, it is just enough to mention that the only people who escaped this plunder are the ones who keep their wealth in unseizable and unconfiscatable currency, namely Bitcoin. That alone will do to make people go "Wait, what!?" and go out to try to find out more.

So spread the word in any discussion with friends and workmates and plaster the comment-sections of news-sites reporting about this or on your favorite precious metals-forum or wherever.

I am reposting this image from the other thread on Cyprus, credits go out to whoever made it.

So carpe diem and spread the word!

Joe

download to iphone galaxy etc and show it to people lol

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 10:03:11 AM

Cypriot television?! Last I knew, there were two channels. There's the Turkish channel, and the Greek channel. That place is dirt-poor. We wouldn't hear about it if NATO didn't use it for military/diplomatic operations. Christ, they probably don't even have cable! The blockchain would have to be delivered by ferry!
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 10:08:24 AM

Cypriot television?! Last I knew, there were two channels. There's the Turkish channel, and the Greek channel. That place is dirt-poor. We wouldn't hear about it if NATO didn't use it for military/diplomatic operations. Christ, they probably don't even have cable! The blockchain would have to be delivered by ferry!

ham radio ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154060.0

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 10:36:06 AM

There's no national TV you mean? There must be at least a national radio, then?

(Doing the advertising on a Greek TV channel that happens to be broadcasted in Cyprus too wouldn't be bad at all either... it would kill two birds with a single stone... granted, a more expensive stone, but likely worthwhile...)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:16:07 AM

Roger ver already has radio and Youtube videos made.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:31:02 AM

it s too late for them to save their money the amount of the tax has been fixed before they can withdraw...
And they are not so poor they ll probably keep a bitter taste in mouth so i bet a bitcoin association could catch-up!
Anybody from cyprius here???

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
cedus

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 01:45:36 PM

So carpe diem and spread the word!

IMO better version:

https://i.imgur.com/xSDDHVD.png

Also:

Interestingly enough, several Bitcoin-related apps started spiking on the Spanish iPhone market over the weekend. Bitcoin Gold shot up in the Spanish iPhone Finance category from 498 to 72, and another app called Bitcoin Ticker zoomed from 526 to 52 in just one day. A leading service called Bitcoin App jumped from 194 to 151 between Friday and Sunday as Spaniards brooded over the Cyprus crisis.

Grin
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 02:10:40 PM

If you guys want to scare away potential Bitcoin users, keep sending them memes.   Would you want to trust your money in a system that promotes goofy tag lines and even goofier-looking meme characters?  Start presenting BTC in a professional manner, people will take notice.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 02:26:50 PM

If you guys want to scare away potential Bitcoin users, keep sending them memes.   Would you want to trust your money in a system that promotes goofy tag lines and even goofier-looking meme characters?  Start presenting BTC in a professional manner, people will take notice.
Oh lighten up. Let the nerds have their day. It won't be long before they replace their youthful indiscretions with the responsibilities of life. Bitcoin doesn't care either because it stands on it's own merit as the bad boy rock-star and doesn't need anyone to dress it up in big boy clothes.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 05:11:11 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2013, 09:26:14 PM by BlackBison

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:24:22 PM

Wrong.

You haven't considered that every type of "thing" is for different type of audience. Memes, for example are targetted at young people who understand the internet.

It's quite obvious that they won't be effective in getting older and/or more serious people into Bitcoin. For them, we have different arguments.

yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:59:41 PM

goldlyre

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 12:30:07 AM

It's a nasty face.
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 01:46:30 AM

Wrong.

You haven't considered that every type of "thing" is for different type of audience. Memes, for example are targetted at young people who understand the internet.

It's quite obvious that they won't be effective in getting older and/or more serious people into Bitcoin. For them, we have different arguments.

Ok, I'm thinking the "audience" just lost about 6-10% of bank savings.  Now they might not have access to funds until Thursday.  The last thing they need is some grinning fucko telling them "Ha ha, if you would have seen this stupid meme a week ago, you might be able to make that pesky mortgage payment.  Good luck on ya!". 

It spans all ages. 

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:19:34 AM

you might be able to make that pesky mortgage payment.  Good luck on ya!". 

It spans all ages. 

hahahaha there are not many people in under 25 lucky enough to have mortgages in my country.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:13:42 AM

I think the meme is perfect.  Its a fucking annoying nerd who got in before you taunting you with the knowledge that if you only had your money in bitcoins you would be better off.  You just want to kick him in the teeth.  But you can only be mad at your self because you know hes right. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: