Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:23:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-07-08] coinfox.info| Ethereum to use hard fork to undo theft from The DAO  (Read 683 times)
eye4bd (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 08:27:06 PM

Ethereum to use hard fork to undo theft from The DAO

By decentralised voting holders of 97% of ethers have shown unanimous support to a hard fork as an optimum way to return the funds stolen on 17 July by an anonymous malefactor. ....

http://www.coinfox.info/news/5883-ethereum-to-use-hard-fork-to-undo-theft-from-the-dao

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 07:53:28 PM

And thus ends the experiment of ETH, where now your money can be stolen by popular decree.

These people actually think by ruining the fungibility of ETH, they will save the ecosystem. What a hilarious tragedy in the making...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 11:47:52 PM

And thus ends the experiment of ETH, where now your money can be stolen by popular decree.

These people actually think by ruining the fungibility of ETH, they will save the ecosystem. What a hilarious tragedy in the making...

You think top down...
In case this hardfork is a bottom up action , its like the antibodies of the body removing a deadly virus.
It has to kill a small infected part of the self part to survive.
If you want to put it in perspective the hacker can be seen as the government here trying to attack a system.
the system mutates the attack gets undone and the attacker gets killed , if a government would try the same type of attack and they will lose too in exactly the same way.
and that's a very CLEAR message , and that's very good for ether.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
Kaneki

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 12:22:20 AM

that it would undermine users’ confidence in the whole Ethereum network. 
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 12:30:20 AM

that it would undermine users’  confidence in the whole Ethereum network. 
The alternative is death , in case of death there is no pint of confidence.
so its logic that the users will go for hardfork.
its the only way users still have something to put confidence in.
doing noting would successfully  let a small group kill a whole network.
Now this  has failed

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 04:33:20 PM

that it would undermine users’  confidence in the whole Ethereum network. 
The alternative is death , in case of death there is no pint of confidence.
so its logic that the users will go for hardfork.
its the only way users still have something to put confidence in.
doing noting would successfully  let a small group kill a whole network.
Now this  has failed

The alternative was letting the DAO die, and they should've taken the hit.

Now, ETH is linked with the idea that if you don't like how things are going, you can push the 'rewind' button and reverse transactions. That's a pretty bitter pill to swallow, and a lot of people won't bother after finding that out.

Rationalizing it in terms of bodies/antibodies/cancer whatever isn't going to help you.

shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 04:52:25 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2016, 05:16:45 PM by shyliar

These types of news articles being posted all over various forums seem to be indicating a type of panic I haven't seen in crypto before. The vote that these articles are based on can be found here:

http://www.carbonvote.com/

Currently at the time of this post it shows that 2,169,108 ETH have voted yes for a hard fork and 299,427 have voted no. This out of a total number of ETH that exist at 81,852,611. The fact is only a small percentage of ETH have voted. The fact is the word unanimous means "without opposition; with the agreement of all people involved". Maybe rudimentary math skills and language skills are considered obsolete by some folks.  

The article also ignores  the fact that miners decide to adopt a hard fork (not voters).

A quality coin should not require deception to encourage adoption. This type of behaviour is damaging to cryptocurrency adoption in general.
Mokuton

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:09:20 PM

Hardfork so people can finally move on from all the drama  Cheesy. ETH is popular enough to survive!
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 02:05:19 PM

Hardfork so people can finally move on from all the drama  Cheesy. ETH is popular enough to survive!

About a week ago ETH/USD broke under 10... I wouldn't be so optimistic if I were you.

dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 02:09:18 PM

You need to start back at the basics of what it means to be decentralized. You can see coblee's thoughts here https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/2apsj7/litecoin_developers_will_never_fork_litecoin_to/
It is up to the market to decide what happens due to theft.
If you agree with the hard fork, you are an abomination to the crypto world, and will be purged out along with ethereum.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 02:33:16 PM

Ethereum to use hard fork to undo theft from The DAO

By decentralised voting holders of 97% of ethers have shown unanimous support to a hard fork as an optimum way to return the funds stolen on 17 July by an anonymous malefactor. ....

http://www.coinfox.info/news/5883-ethereum-to-use-hard-fork-to-undo-theft-from-the-dao

After the soft fork option kind of fell by the wayside, this was literally inevitable. Sure, the community at large has made this decision, but I'm sure most of the people that voted actually have a dog in this fight. Anyhow, I will be glued to an exchange chart watching this like a hawk. I may paper trade this to see how I would have done, but unless this shows very strong, very clear indicators I will not be speculating. But this saga has been one of the most epic tales on this forum for some time. Never a dull moment I guess Grin

But someone tell me, what black magic is responsible for propping up the price like this lately? If Vitalik got eaten by a grue, I don't think the price would move a whole lot, LOL.
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 04:03:39 PM

By the way, very few of actual voters did indeed vote compared to total issuance.

Anyway, you have a wedge on the Daily with a recent low a hair above 10. I wouldn't look at that as positive. You have a massive head-and-shoulders that implies a breakdown to levels not seen since February.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: