Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:07:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal not reversible for Bitcoins  (Read 2795 times)
Zedster (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:45:14 PM

Just wondering since Paypal considers Bitcoin a virtual good and will not refund your money in the case you don't receive your goods why its so frowned upon to sell with Paypal?

I know this to be fact as I am being screwed by Paypal as we speak.  I assumed with all that is said about Paypal being able to charge back that attempting to buy coins with PayPal should be safe for the buyer and bad for the seller.  That is not the case.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:48:00 PM

You've already answered your own questions.
why its so frowned to sell with Paypal?
PayPal should be safe for the buyer and bad for the seller.
It IS bad for the seller.  That's why you never see people selling BTC for Paypal, and those who attempt to do so get screwed.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:50:04 PM

If you sell bitcoins for paypal then this is what is likely to happen.

Send bitcoins and receiver sends paypal cash.

Receiver now does a chargeback on the money sent and reclaims his/her money.

Sender now has no bitcoin, no money, and no recourse, as PayPal will never help anyone with a bitcoin related claim. Remember bitcoin competes directly with bitcoin.

DO NOT USE PayPal!!!!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:51:49 PM

You can not do a charge back on virtual goods.   This is my point!  Leaving the buyer screwed not the seller
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:53:02 PM

You can not do a charge back on virtual goods.   This is my point!
Check the forums, sadly it happens every day.   Sad

bitsource

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:54:28 PM

Paypal do what they want - if there is any transaction contested by the buyer - Paypal will always side by the buyer and the seller looses - this is my painful experience as the seller.

32DgAoQRMAkqbaYhShLWQnFt4LWJhWe3Ba
Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:54:36 PM

Unfortunately, we are denying your claim because your purchase was for a
virtual, digital, or intangible item, which is not covered under PayPal
Purchase Protection.  We only cover claims involving physical items that
can be shipped and tracked.

This is from Paypal
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:55:40 PM

You can not do a charge back on virtual goods.   This is my point!  Leaving the buyer screwed not the seller

Yes you can especially if it was funded via CC. PP makes their own rules as they go and each case can be solved with different rules as they see fit.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 03:59:05 PM

Purchase Protection.  We only cover claims involving physical items that

This is from Paypal
Interesting. Now tell them the item is bitcoin and see what happens. PayPal also has a policy against any digital currency being traded. Your account can be locked and it can take a long time to get your money out upon locking.

You can try, but when you have been ripped off don't expect much sympathy from the peers in this forum. 

Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:01:20 PM

Purchase Protection.  We only cover claims involving physical items that

This is from Paypal
Interesting. Now tell them the item is bitcoin and see what happens. PayPal also has a policy against any digital currency being traded. Your account can be locked and it can take a long time to get your money out upon locking.

You can try, but when you have been ripped off don't expect much sympathy from the peers in this forum.  

I have told them it was for BTC since its on the invoice.  Not looking for sympathy just trying to figure out how people can do charge backs and get away with it as I would like my money back.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:04:56 PM

I have told them it was for BTC since its on the invoice.

Wow, maybe they have given up? lol

I would still be very careful. Bitcoin chargeback is the most common scam I see here.

Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:06:23 PM

I have told them it was for BTC since its on the invoice.

Wow, maybe they have given up? lol

I would still be very careful. Bitcoin chargeback is the most common scam I see here.

Not anymore now its better to be the seller and not sell anything.  All the seller had to do was say "Yes I have given him the items" no wallet ID no nothing.  Basically I am hoping to help any other idiot such as myself that believes what is said in these forums to be the concrete truth, because I can tell you it's not.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:14:00 PM

Plot twist:  Paypal is evil and simply steals the money from BOTH users, telling the seller that the buyer charged back, and telling the buyer that they cannot refund the purchase since it was for digital goods.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:16:48 PM

You should change your title to "PayPal not reversible for honest people".

A scammer would simply dispute the tx as "unauthorized" claim they never made it and have no idea how it showed up on his/her account.  The scammer would have the funds back by now.  Being honest you just screwed yourself.

This shows why you shouldn't use PayPal (as either buyer or seller) unless you trust the counterparty.  A scammer is going to know every trick and trap and the honest joe is just going to get robbed.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:18:25 PM

Not anymore now its better to be the seller and not sell anything.  All the seller had to do was say "Yes I have given him the items" no wallet ID no nothing.  Basically I am hoping to help any other idiot such as myself that believes what is said in these forums to be the concrete truth, because I can tell you it's not.

Doesn't work if the buyer claims he never made the purchase, or it is a genuinely hacked/stolen PayPal account, or it was funded by a stolen credit card, etc.  Plenty of ways for a dishonest buyer to pull a scam.   You didn't know what you were doing and like talking to the cops without a lawyer just backed yourself into a corner. 
Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:27:36 PM

Doesn't work if the buyer claims he never made the purchase, or it is a genuinely hacked/stolen PayPal account, or it was funded by a stolen credit card, etc.  Plenty of ways for a dishonest buyer to pull a scam.   You didn't know what you were doing and like talking to the cops without a lawyer just backed yourself into a corner. 

Yep this explains a bit.  I was not going to lie to do the right thing.  Maybe I should have.  I still have one option. Paypal has said that if it is determined that the company is a fraud I should get my money back.  Guess I should have lied.
cassini

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:32:15 PM

It often depends on the buyer's reaction. During the PaypalCase procedure the buyer is asked for proof of delivery. If the buyer does as requested, e.g. sending a scan of the invoice, he will loose the case most likely.
If the buyer simply states "Seller protection does not apply. Intangible goods!", then he has a good chance of winning the PaypalCase.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:39:10 PM

I know this to be fact as I am being screwed by Paypal as we speak

You are not being screwed by PayPal, you bought something that wasn't delivered.  You made the assumption that you were protected by PayPal but they are avoiding that using technicality (by saying you bought a digital good).

How did you pay for your purchase, from a PayPal balance, or with credit card?   If you paid with credit card, you can charge back through your credit card issuer. 

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:55:46 AM

Filing an intangible item as "not received" or SNAD -> you lose dispute.

Filing as unauthorized payment -> you win pretty much most of the time.

THAT is the difference.
Jenger

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 01:03:35 PM

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: