Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:00:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone make a living from only trading altcoins?  (Read 2492 times)
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 08:57:22 AM

Ive put my hand to trading alts a few times and made some profit, But for those of you who trade altcoins as their main source of income how much do you manage to make each week/month and how much collateral do you need for trading to try and earn this much per week.

If i was to live just off trading id need to be making at the very least about $400 a week just to get by, How many bitcoins do you think i would need to risk each day to achieve this?

Thanks

spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 09:35:17 AM

Ive put my hand to trading alts a few times and made some profit, But for those of you who trade altcoins as their main source of income how much do you manage to make each week/month and how much collateral do you need for trading to try and earn this much per week.

If i was to live just off trading id need to be making at the very least about $400 a week just to get by, How many bitcoins do you think i would need to risk each day to achieve this?

Thanks

That's not easy to achieve and you need a lot of luck, because you can't do TA on altcoins and basically ups and downs are based on news, speculations, rumours etc...

dancing altcoin shiva

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 09:43:51 AM

Your post tells me: you can't
mining1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 09:44:28 AM

Yes there are, r0ach and spotnik. They are BTC and ETH whales, trying to buy as much eth as they can while its cheap.
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 09:57:38 AM

i cant, but maybe others can?

Yes there are, r0ach and spotnik. They are BTC and ETH whales, trying to buy as much eth as they can while its cheap.

I assumed there must be more than just 2 people out of the whole of bitcointalk who manages to make a living by trading though. r0ach and spotnik may have just been in the fortunate position of buying bitcoin in the early days and being whales these days so can afford to trade larger amounts. It would be interesting to know how much they make per week from trading and how much they have to actually trade to earn that amount.

dancing altcoin shiva

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 10:02:25 AM

I assumed there must be more than just 2 people out of the whole of bitcointalk who manages to make a living by trading though. r0ach and spotnik may have just been in the fortunate position of buying bitcoin in the early days and being whales these days so can afford to trade larger amounts. It would be interesting to know how much they make per week from trading and how much they have to actually trade to earn that amount.

Yeah, others can but it's not like that was many people. These markets are illiquid as fuck. Not really a lot to gain in alts anymore. Scammers and monkeys spoiled it.
Rick M

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 10:53:40 AM

Yeah, others can but it's not like that was many people. These markets are illiquid as fuck. Not really a lot to gain in alts anymore. Scammers and monkeys spoiled it.

you forgot.....a lot of smart people here too...so when t
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 01:49:34 PM

i would love to do it, and in fact i was thinking about doing it a while ago but in the end i decided against it. because of two things: Risk and Stress

trading altcoin is not only risky business even if you are good at it but it is a stressful job and if you invest more you will have more stress which i don't like to have in my life.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 02:12:34 PM

i would love to do it, and in fact i was thinking about doing it a while ago but in the end i decided against it. because of two things: Risk and Stress

trading altcoin is not only risky business even if you are good at it but it is a stressful job and if you invest more you will have more stress which i don't like to have in my life.

At the moment im trading using about 0.7 of a bitcoin but trying to buy and sell at the right moment is tricky and even if i get it right I'm only making about 0.02 on a trade.  Which isn't very much considering the amount that I'm rising in the trade.  I'm sure others can make way more with alot less.

dancing altcoin shiva

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 02:31:07 PM

At the moment im trading using about 0.7 of a bitcoin but trying to buy and sell at the right moment is tricky and even if i get it right I'm only making about 0.02 on a trade.  Which isn't very much considering the amount that I'm rising in the trade.  I'm sure others can make way more with alot less.

Much more important: can you survive a bearmarket? I'd think not.
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 04:51:36 PM

Much more important: can you survive a bearmarket? I'd think not.

No, should i lose all say .7 bitcoins due to a bear market then thats game over. It sometimes seems like id be as well just going and playing dice rather than trying to play the market. I thought maybe someone who trades successfully would have commented by now but maybe a successful altcoin trader is actually a lot rarer than i though.

robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 1207

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 05:02:42 PM

I am trading on two exchange daily but for some reason I cannot and will not post my earning let's just it's enough to get me excited and motivate to always look on the chart and see what people are posting on a coin's thread but trading is indeed very risky it's  like gambling,you must know when to stop and where to stop..

Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:18:30 PM

For you to make that kind of profits trading altcoins you would need to be a Whale. You would need to risk a lot of coins and to do it in a proper way you would need to have access to on time and inside information for all altcoins
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:22:01 PM

For you to make that kind of profits trading altcoins you would need to be a Whale. You would need to risk a lot of coins and to do it in a proper way you would need to have access to on time and inside information for all altcoins

exactly, if you want to make a living by trading altcoins you have to do it as your primary job not a second job or a hobby even (like me Smiley ) and to be successful you need a lot of experience with the market, a lot of time to spend, a lot of computer power to run bots, and many more. it is not easy.

Buying the dip...
TravelsAsia

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:36:45 PM

Thanks

It's like when every 20 something thought they could be a poker pro.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:02:22 PM

Afaik, the way you make money is buying into projects that have sufficient seriousness and hype backing them, when they are on a lull and their tokens are dirt cheap. Or buying them early into a pump that will grow and spread (as Ethereum did starting back in February). This purchasing opportunity can either be at the launch when not many people know about it (if it is a mined distribution) and/or after the initial pump such as after an ICO. Study the charts at coinmarketcap.com and see how all the altcoins have had these low price lulls.

Then you hold many of these and wait to sell them on the ensuing pump.

But you've got to be careful you don't pick duds that are mismanaged and disintegrate before being pumped.

And you need patience, meaning it can't really supply a steady income. Sometimes you'll be waiting a year or more for a payoff.

Also as another poster said, if we go into a severe bear market, then you the wait could be longer and your altcoins might die in that interim time.

The upside is you can probably average hundreds of percent gains per year on average. I'd prefer it to speculating on pink sheet stocks such as mining companies, because I can better gauge the potential of altcoins.

I haven't had time to analyze this one technologically, but its price and chart looks like it has the most potential to rise:

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/rise/

ShadowCash and Vcash also look cheap, but I have doubts about what they can produce. Don't have a lot of confidence in their marketing and technological focus. ShadowCash perhaps a bit better than Vcash, although Monero's cryptographer found a flaw in their anonymity which raises some doubt since that is the main feature focus.

Actually after quickly browsing the top 100 altcoin's by marketcap, I don't really see much to get very excited about. Ethereum was the next big thing, but then they hard forked it and basically demonstrated that their programmable block chain concept is flawed.

As for Steem and Synereo, they are not on a lull and I have my doubts about their concepts:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1480810.msg15538471#msg15538471

As for CounterParty, I recently explained it is flawed. Ditto all the decentralized file storage tokens, such as Storj, Sia, and MaidSafe are all irreparably flawed.
Amadues

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:05:20 PM

Thanks

400$ a week = 60 $ days = 10$ x 6 hours of work or trading.

I think it's possible if you know what you buy, and when it's the right term to sell.

About how many btc you need, I think no less than 15-20 btc, and 2 btc as investment in trading tools etc etc

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
'BTC MULTI-WALLET SOON'
▬▬▬▬ Download WHITEPAPER ▬▬▬▬

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

███▀▀
▐▐▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▐▌
███▄▄
▀▀███
▐▌▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▌▌
▄▄███
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1008

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:13:34 PM

I will not say making enough for living as i actually bag holding some of the promosing alts and all i have is all btc stuked in alts. But the recent pump in Krypton (kr) price has made me enough today to cover this whole month of my expenses. I love holding krypton still holding half of what i have before.  Wink

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:18:48 PM

I think someone can living with trading but its hard.. maybe someone are already achieve it.. honestly i am making a profit but not a huge amount..
Beucause i choosen well known altcoin than choosing to new shitcoins it may lose my earnings. just always relay in coinmarketcap and choose top 5 or 10 to invsest.. they are legit coins for me..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:19:33 PM

I will not say making enough for living as i actually bag holding some of the promosing alts and all i have is all btc stuked in alts. But the recent pump in Krypton (kr) price has made me enough today to cover this whole month of my expenses. I love holding krypton still holding half of what i have before.  Wink

That is an example of one that could have been bought on the lull before the recent pump:

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/krypton/

I hadn't research that coin and it is in the top 200, so it is a lot of work to research all those 200 tokens.

It appears to be some clone of Ethereum, claiming more safety. So one could expect it to get this pump from its tiny marketcap. Whether it is serious enough of a project to sustain the move up to a $million mcap, I don't know. I didn't research it enough.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: