Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:04:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pricing in Bitcoin dollars  (Read 1061 times)
Global BTC (OP)

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:27:05 PM

I'd like to discuss a way to advertise products priced in US dollars, payable in bitcoin. In my advertising thus far, I have advertised the price in BTC, but doing that with static banners is very tiresome, as I constantly need to update the advertising material as the BTC value changes.

I think there should be a widespread way to advertise prices in "bitcoin dollars", US dollars payable in bitcoin at the current exchange rate. It could be something like B$ or BTC$.

"Payable in Bitcoin" or "We accept Bitcoin" doesn't quite cut it - Bitcoin is the only way I can accept payment. It also takes up a lot of advertising space.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:31:30 PM

Just copy what BitcoinStore is doing. Problem solved.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
chmod755
Legendary

Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:34:18 PM

but doing that with static banners is very tiresome, as I constantly need to update the advertising material as the BTC value changes.

Why do you advertise the price in static banners? As someone who doesn't use USD this wouldn't make it easier for me.

I agree.

Global BTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:46:45 PM

Why do you advertise the price in static banners? As someone who doesn't use USD this wouldn't make it easier for me.
I agree.
Bitcoinstore is listing their prices in BTC and USD in their store, and that's fine. I do the same on Bitmit (link in my signature).

What I want to discuss in this topis is advertising banners, outside of Bitmit. Here's an example:

I don't know of any BTC advertising network that lets you use dynamic images, so I have to keep updating those banners manually if I want to show the prices in BTC (as you can see, the prices in the banner are completely off). Instead of doing that, I was thinking I could advertise the price in "bitcoin dollars". Do you get it?

chmod755
Legendary

Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:50:40 PM

I don't know of any BTC advertising network that lets you use dynamic images, so I have to keep updating those banners manually if I want to show the prices in BTC (as you can see, the prices in the banner are completely off). Instead of doing that, I was thinking I could advertise the price in "bitcoin dollars". Do you get it?

Okay. How about this: you automatically create those banners and make your own affiliate system ?

If that's not how you want to do it, just ask a BTC advertising network to implement API requests to update banners.

Global BTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:57:19 PM

Okay. How about this: you automatically create those banners and make your own affiliate system ?

If that's not how you want to do it, just ask a BTC advertising network to implement API requests to update banners.
I think coding up my own affiliate system is a little over my capacity. What might I have to pay to get someone else to do it?

Good idea about asking advertising networks for an API.

webr3

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 01:23:32 PM

you could probably get these questions answered on IM forums more satisfactorily now that they're drifting ot
Global BTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 01:27:53 PM

Well, the original question still stands.

georgeu2000

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:54:58 PM

Why does the price need to be in both dollars and bitcoin? Everyone knows how much a bitcoin is worth in their old currency.

I think it makes more sense to just offer prices in bitcoin.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 05:38:39 PM

btcticker.appspot.com

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 09:50:01 PM

Generate the dynamic image on your server and overwrite the banner ad every xx mins.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Global BTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 04:05:40 PM

Generate the dynamic image on your server and overwrite the banner ad every xx mins.

If the banner was hosted by me, I could do that (if I knew how). Unfortunately, it's not.

I'm going to go ahead and make some banners with bitcoin dollars and try out the idea.

Global BTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 04:50:33 PM

Here's a new version of the previous banner, with the prices in Bitcoin dollars:

Would you say, as a Bitcoin user, that you understand what the prices in the banner means?

veteranBtc

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 09:36:31 PM

I'd like to discuss a way to advertise products priced in US dollars, payable in bitcoin. In my advertising thus far, I have advertised the price in BTC, but doing that with static banners is very tiresome, as I constantly need to update the advertising material as the BTC value changes.

I think there should be a widespread way to advertise prices in "bitcoin dollars", US dollars payable in bitcoin at the current exchange rate. It could be something like B$ or BTC$.

"Payable in Bitcoin" or "We accept Bitcoin" doesn't quite cut it - Bitcoin is the only way I can accept payment. It also takes up a lot of advertising space.
This thing is nice! If you don't have money, you can pay with Bitcoins Cards (Anonymous)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: