Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:42:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Things getting interesting once we past $100  (Read 17552 times)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 07:38:15 PM

If you have a lot of coin and want the US dollar instead, just post an ad saying you'll accept a wire transfer.  Use an escrow.  Somebody out there already wants your coin right now but doesn't want to dick around with MtGox and their interest is bigger than the limits of those like BitInstant.  And, you'll probably be able to move it all with no slippage, and they'll be happy to buy with no slippage.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:58:30 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2013, 11:06:05 PM by Explodicle

Until we have official designation under the tax code, I do not believe he should need to declare it at this time.  

That's a very dangerous strategy opinion! If you need to buy a lot of USD, make sure you talk to an accountant.

I've never sold bitcoins for dollars and hope I never will. I had no idea I was interested in money until I had the opportunity to use it freely without running afoul of arbitrary, confusing, detailed, and sometimes retroactive rules. It was a chilling effect; the potential gains from managing money properly were outweighed by the risk of imprisonment if I messed up. Every time an accountant or lawyer said "it depends" I cringed.

No way do I want to go back to that minefield.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:04:19 PM

buy goods and service with bitcoin directly.

Agreed.

That's the cost of transferring your wealth into "uncle sam" system.

Use Bitcoin directly. Now is a good time for a real BTC debit card.

+1
Why everyone wants to "cash out" when you worked so hard to get better cash is beyond me.  you can buy almost anything with BTC these days.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:23:20 PM

Until we have official designation under the tax code, I do not believe he should need to declare it at this time.   

That's a very dangerous strategy! If you need to buy a lot of USD, make sure you talk to an accountant.

I've never sold bitcoins for dollars and hope I never will. I had no idea I was interested in money until I had the opportunity to use it freely without running afoul of arbitrary, confusing, detailed, and sometimes retroactive rules. It was a chilling effect; the potential gains from managing money properly were outweighed by the risk of imprisonment if I messed up. Every time an accountant or lawyer said "it depends" I cringed.

No way do I want to go back to that minefield.

This was just an opinion not a strategy.  I agree however, you should talk to a qualified financial professional about these questions.  You don't want to be caught in a tough position.

D

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:58:50 PM

See the FinCEN statement? If you use bitcoin to directly buy things, you don't need to pay anything Cheesy
This might work out like a turbo for the Bitcoin economy.
CleverMiner

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:12:17 PM

Your title is wasting my time,

Why 100$ and not 47$, should simply be "avoiding Tax on USD withdrawal" or something UNinteresting.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:22:32 PM

See the FinCEN statement? If you use bitcoin to directly buy things, you don't need to pay anything Cheesy
This might work out like a turbo for the Bitcoin economy.

Like "under the table", but in this case, "around uncle Sam".
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:32:51 PM

Of course, not paying your share into a system that you benefit from makes you a freeloader (or at the very least a leech).

a system that you BENEFIT from? hahahahaha

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:36:55 PM

Yeah. Benefit.

As in Fire department, police, military, roads, education, food safety and other consumer protection, social safety net, etc.
Sage

Activity: 632

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:25:10 AM

Solution:  Avoid the dollar like the plague to humanity it has become.

If you're selling bitconi move to gold, silver, platinum, litecoin, namecoin (whichever you feel is the best deal).  Do it direct without ever touching the dollar.

If you're so pessimistic about the dollar, you should try using Argentinean Pesos for a while, you'll be back to loving the dollar in no time Smiley

I'm not only pessimistic, but ethically and morally opposed to all forms of enslavement.  Fiat enslavement being the most insidious.

That system can only exist if we support it.  I keep my wealth out of all forms of fiat, doing my part to starve that system to death.

xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:16:06 AM

Turning this thread back on topic.

Things getting interesting once we past $100, because at that point the bitcoin has to rise a dollar a day, else it gets boring, and a dollar a day is also a nice alliteration, which is a mighty bullish signal.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:31:06 PM

You won't receive social security?

/devilsadvocate

Most of us won't...that Ponzi scheme is unsustainable on its current course.

/reality

+1

I like the /devilsadvocate followed by /reality

sad but true !
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:35:27 PM

Yeah. Benefit.

As in Fire department, police, military, roads, education, food safety and other consumer protection, social safety net, etc.

I would argue that with the exception of fire department and roads, none of these listed here are beneficial for me in their form and the former two can be provided by other parties than the government.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
MarlboroMan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

How do I avoid uncle sam to stick its hand in my cookie jar and takes the tax share?
What if I don't report it?

Face to face trades.

Of course, not paying your share into a system that you benefit from makes you a freeloader (or at the very least a leech).
I'll gladly pay the transaction fees/withdrawal fees of trading my bitcoins into USD and then transfering USD to my bank account.
I'm paying  my share to the system I benefitted from, BTC that is. I didn't benefit from USD.
So you don't use roads?  You don't take advantage of the electrical grid?  You aren't protected by the US army?  You won't receive social security?

/devilsadvocate

This. What your trying to do is one of the main reasons government is against Bitcoin. Pay your shit like the rest of us and be thankful your in a country like the United States.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:00:59 PM

How do I avoid uncle sam to stick its hand in my cookie jar and takes the tax share?

Face to face trades.

I'll gladly pay the transaction fees/withdrawal fees of trading my bitcoins into USD and then transfering USD to my bank account.
I'm paying  my share to the system I benefitted from, BTC that is. I didn't benefit from USD.
So you don't use roads?  You don't take advantage of the electrical grid?  You aren't protected by the US army?  You won't receive social security?

/devilsadvocate

This. What your trying to do is one of the main reasons government is against Bitcoin. Pay your shit like the rest of us and be thankful your in a country like the United States.

I pay my taxes every year, bitcoin however is outside the government control. Worst case scenario I will withdraw in a tax haven account.
So if everyone uses Bitcoin, then how will all the services that are paid for with taxes be completed?

And don't get me wrong - I think the government could easily be 1/10th the size it is now, but I do believe that SOME form of government is essential for maintaining services like fire dept, police dept, roadways, utilities, national defense, etc.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:11:30 PM

Face to face trades.

/devilsadvocate

I pay my taxes every year, bitcoin however is outside the government control. Worst case scenario I will withdraw in a tax haven account.
So if everyone uses Bitcoin, then how will all the services that are paid for with taxes be completed?

And don't get me wrong - I think the government could easily be 1/10th the size it is now, but I do believe that SOME form of government is essential for maintaining services like fire dept, police dept, roadways, utilities, national defense, etc.

adapt, adapt, adapt....

did Mp3 killed the music industry? No, just tower records...
did movie streaming kill the movies industry? No, just blockbuster...
will bitcoin kill the governments? No, just some financial institutions...

everyone evolves and adapts...
Fair point.  Wink  It will indeed be interesting to see where Bitcoin takes us insofar as government attempting to enforce taxation on it.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:14:35 PM

Face to face trades.

Then why are you exchanging coins into USD?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:44:14 PM

Send it all to Coinabul, they will get your BTC profits squared away.
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:46:48 PM

I would just do the following:

keep my funds (USD/BTC) always in exchange. sell coins when high, buy when low. Always keep my coins and funds with myself and exchange.

Take out Fiat as and when needed (and only that much) without depending on market of BTC.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:33:17 PM

Natural resource taxes, particularly land. You can hide your bitcoins but you can't hide a plot of land. Land taxes also feature negligible deadweight losses and limited maximum revenue, so the government will do less damage and "starve the beast" would actually start working.

Even farther in the future, there are private alternatives for those public goods:
* roads would be paid by tolls
* fire/police would be paid by insurance
* utilities are already privatized in some places
* national defense could be paid by crowdfunding
Those are just off the top of my head - I'd be willing to bet that the market will think of better solutions than us armchair economists can.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: