Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:17:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Parity watch -> Who's next?  (Read 68147 times)
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 11:29:01 AM

77. Estonia

They have euro. Am I missing something?

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 11:29:26 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2016, 12:26:01 AM by Elwar

76. Guatemala

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 11:31:11 AM

They have euro. Am I missing something?

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2214rank.html

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 11:33:51 AM

Ok, thanks!

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 12:02:14 PM

It is an interesting question. I saw other EU countries on the CIA list also, like France, germany, etc and wondered how they calculate that since the European Union has it's own M1 (euros) also ... I wonder if the member banks have an allotment of their own money stock that they get to manage separately from their 'euro' stock?

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 07:38:58 PM

It is an interesting question. I saw other EU countries on the CIA list also, like France, germany, etc and wondered how they calculate that since the European Union has it's own M1 (euros) also ... I wonder if the member banks have an allotment of their own money stock that they get to manage separately from their 'euro' stock?

i think every euro member still has an operating central bank and they are printing "their" €. but they are not independent, they are under EZB supervision. frankfurt tells them what to do. i can recall that there are ways to differentiate between an italian € note and a dutch € note for example.   
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 09:27:56 PM

i can recall that there are ways to differentiate between an italian € note and a dutch € note for example.   

last digit of the serial number, I think. I remember a time (couple years ago when the greek crisis started) when some people were actually preferrably spending "greek" 50 euro bills (with serial-numbers ending in "Y", I think) to spending other bills. There goes fungibility, I guess Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 10:46:03 PM

Quote from: marcusofaugustus

i think every euro member still has an operating central bank and they are printing "their" €. but they are not independent, they are under EZB supervision. frankfurt tells them what to do. i can recall that there are ways to differentiate between an italian € note and a dutch € note for example.  

The whole currency union concept is somewhat of a dubious implementation, driven by a bizarre form of pragmatism, in fairness. It's not just the cash portion of the money supply that is separate, the commercial banks in each Euro member state are also partitioned from each other, so there's actually a fair amount of friction between these conditionally integrated pools of Euro currency. It amounts to more de facto serfdom for the wage-slaves of the Euro area, as the ordinary everyday individual has little opportunity to take advantage of the common market using the Euro: several countries have laws banning more than a few thousand Euros of cash, opening bank accounts in countries with the more stable banking systems is not easy for non-citizens (hurray for the single market!), and cross border transfers from one Euro account to another with SEPA are still treated as foreign transfers from a legal/regulatory perspective.

It's almost as if trying to shoe-horn a single currency into an area with multiple established currencies is totally unnatural..... Grin

Vires in numeris
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 06:25:25 AM

Quote from: marcusofaugustus

The whole currency union concept is somewhat of a dubious implementation, driven by a bizarre form of pragmatism, in fairness. It's not just the cash portion of the money supply that is separate, the commercial banks in each Euro member state are also partitioned from each other, so there's actually a fair amount of friction between these conditionally integrated pools of Euro currency. It amounts to more de facto serfdom for the wage-slaves of the Euro area, as the ordinary everyday individual has little opportunity to take advantage of the common market using the Euro: several countries have laws banning more than a few thousand Euros of cash, opening bank accounts in countries with the more stable banking systems is not easy for non-citizens (hurray for the single market!), and cross border transfers from one Euro account to another with SEPA are still treated as foreign transfers from a legal/regulatory perspective.

It's almost as if trying to shoe-horn a single currency into an area with multiple established currencies is totally unnatural..... Grin

well said. i have to add though, that it ended a centuries long fuck up for every traveller crossing borders (in europe, the next border is just around the corner) when you wanted to travel from the netherlands to italy you had to convert your gulden into dmarks, swissfrancs/austrian schilling (depends how you crossed the alps) and italian lira. you got robbed by kiosk exchanges every time you needed to change, you never really knew how much to change, if you changed too much, you got robbed again converting it all back to your dutch gulden. we are talking about one little trip of less than 1000 miles. what a clusterfuck that was.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 09:47:12 AM

well said. i have to add though, that it ended a centuries long fuck up for every traveller crossing borders (in europe, the next border is just around the corner) when you wanted to travel from the netherlands to italy you had to convert your gulden into dmarks, swissfrancs/austrian schilling (depends how you crossed the alps) and italian lira. you got robbed by kiosk exchanges every time you needed to change, you never really knew how much to change, if you changed too much, you got robbed again converting it all back to your dutch gulden. we are talking about one little trip of less than 1000 miles. what a clusterfuck that was.

I wonder how far back in time you have to go to find people travelling the countries (kingdoms?) of Europe with raw gold or silver bullion in their pockets to solve that problem? It seems odd that such a ubiquitous institution as precious-metals-as-money could be stifled so effectively without electronic banking acting as a gatekeeper.

I mean, before WW1, it was possible to travel Europe without a passport of any kind quite far into the East or South unimpeded, and no Shengen agreement or United States of Europe was required! Could it be that simple freedom to choose is the most powerful universal system there is! It's cheaper and more effective than federalsim/statism at playing the same ostensible role.

Vires in numeris
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2016, 11:29:02 AM

75. ETHIOPIA  M1 ~$11.5 billion

600watt
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 11:41:09 AM

I wonder how far back in time you have to go to find people travelling the countries (kingdoms?) of Europe with raw gold or silver bullion in their pockets to solve that problem? It seems odd that such a ubiquitous institution as precious-metals-as-money could be stifled so effectively without electronic banking acting as a gatekeeper.

I mean, before WW1, it was possible to travel Europe without a passport of any kind quite far into the East or South unimpeded, and no Shengen agreement or United States of Europe was required! Could it be that simple freedom to choose is the most powerful universal system there is! It's cheaper and more effective than federalsim/statism at playing the same ostensible role.

correct. there was a rather liberal time before ww1.
before germany "deutsches reich" was formed 1871 you couldn´t even travel from hesse to bavaria without approval from government. even the right to travel for the traveling journeymen that was in place since medivial times was taken in the first half of the 19th century Tongue
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 11:13:52 PM

74. Slovenia

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 11:17:36 PM

73. Malta

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 06:25:26 PM

How's this effort going? Who's brave enough to hit the CIA website to find out if we're beating Malta yet? (not me... Cheesy)

I did a quick estimate, and it seems like hitting the all-time-high market cap of $14 billion will occur at around $900 market price with today's Bitcoin M1 supply; surely Malta is roadkill by now?!

Vires in numeris
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 12:43:48 AM

How's this effort going? Who's brave enough to hit the CIA website to find out if we're beating Malta yet? (not me... Cheesy)
Weird you say that, i hit that cia link and my VPN crashed ...

I did a quick estimate, and it seems like hitting the all-time-high market cap of $14 billion will occur at around $900 market price with today's Bitcoin M1 supply; surely Malta is roadkill by now?!

Nup we dropped back down to between Slovenia and Estonia ... I have a feeling we won't be there long however.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 12:58:19 PM

Nup we dropped back down to between Slovenia and Estonia ... I have a feeling we won't be there long however.

Oh dear, I'm too eager for "something to happen" lol. I share your sense we don't have that long though, similarly to how you say "halving's not over yet". Also, interesting that Malta is so high on the list for somewhere so small... I did hear somewhere recently that Malta has a long history in the espionage world, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Cheesy

Vires in numeris
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 12:28:58 AM

72. Burma

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 08:48:30 PM

71. Jordan

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary