Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:05:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Parity watch -> Who's next?  (Read 68144 times)
checkers6676

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:29:58 PM

Lulz, I think someone at Fox saw this thread: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/03/29/digital-currency-bitcoin-surpasses-20-national-currencies-in-value

The whole article is pretty much one huge dump about everything bitcoin and only the first paragraph being relevant to the national currency thing, but funny none the less.

A journalist will pull a lead out of a monkey's bum if it gets them a paycheck at the end of the week.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mestar

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:36:54 PM

1 BTC should get closer to 1000$, for parity with Mark Zuckenberg

If bitcoin gets to $1000, soon, all the miners together will burn trough $2 to $3 million in electricity every day, so you would need $2 or more millions in fresh money every day, just to keep the price of Bitcoin at the same level.  Who will put that kind of money on the exchanges every day, Zuckenberg himself?

BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:57:58 PM

Lulz, I think someone at Fox saw this thread: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/03/29/digital-currency-bitcoin-surpasses-20-national-currencies-in-value

The whole article is pretty much one huge dump about everything bitcoin and only the first paragraph being relevant to the national currency thing, but funny none the less.

Excellent news!

If Faux News is dumping on bitcoin, then I know we're on the right side of history.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:20:15 AM

1 BTC should get closer to 1000$, for parity with Mark Zuckenberg

If bitcoin gets to $1000, soon, all the miners together will burn trough $2 to $3 million in electricity every day, so you would need $2 or more millions in fresh money every day, just to keep the price of Bitcoin at the same level.  Who will put that kind of money on the exchanges every day, Zuckenberg himself?

how did you arrive at that figure?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:34:45 AM

Excellent news!

If Faux News is dumping on bitcoin, then I know we're on the right side of history.

No dude, a dump about Bitcoins, not on them.

mestar

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:42:20 AM

I explained it here.  Just substitute $90 with $1000.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=161496.msg1707405#msg1707405

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:04:43 AM

I explained it here.  Just substitute $90 with $1000.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=161496.msg1707405#msg1707405

Read your linked post. I think you're disregarding one-time cost of the asic miner unit. With asic the one-time cost is the large factor, energy cost less so. At least for now.

So I'm guessing energy used for mining should be considerably less than $2 to $3 million when rate is at $1000/BTC.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mestar

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:30:19 AM

Read your linked post. I think you're disregarding one-time cost of the asic miner unit. With asic the one-time cost is the large factor, energy cost less so. At least for now.

So I'm guessing energy used for mining should be considerably less than $2 to $3 million when rate is at $1000/BTC.

Difficulty grows with total hash rate, it doesn't care about power efficiency per hash.

Once you have the hardware, it makes economic sense to keep mining as long as your costs per one Bitcoin mined are less then one Bitcoin.

And if your cost is, for example 0.3 coins per coin, it makes sense to expand (in a sense of buying new hardware).  And buying new hardware will increase difficulty up to the point, perhaps at 0.5, perhaps higher, where you stop expanding.

Those two incentives create a situation where you will always have some miners that are close to zero profit, and not very many of those that are spending 0.1 BTC to mine 1 BTC.

We can never know the true efficiency distribution of all miners, but if you take a straight line from zero to one, on a chart where you display efficiency of all miners, sorted by efficiency, you would get total surface of 0.5,  and if you start from an assumption that the most efficient miner is at 0.5, you would get total of 0.75 under the curve.  Thus my assumption for total miner efficiency of 0.5 to 0.75.   In practice, it could be higher,  but if it is lower, it would be a temporary situation.

Le Happy Merchant

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:42:44 AM

We can never know the true efficiency distribution of all miners, but if you take a straight line from zero to one, on a chart where you display efficiency of all miners, sorted by efficiency, you would get total surface of 0.5,  and if you start from an assumption that the most efficient miner is at 0.5, you would get total of 0.75 under the curve.  Thus my assumption for total miner efficiency of 0.5 to 0.75.   In practice, it could be higher,  but if it is lower, it would be a temporary situation.

I think you forget, many people are willing to mine at a loss due to the prospect of long term Bitcoin ownership.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:57:03 AM

Difficulty grows with total hash rate, it doesn't care about power efficiency per hash.

Once you have the hardware, it makes economic sense to keep mining as long as your costs per one Bitcoin mined are less then one Bitcoin.

And if your cost is, for example 0.3 coins per coin, it makes sense to expand (in a sense of buying new hardware).  And buying new hardware will increase difficulty up to the point, perhaps at 0.5, perhaps higher, where you stop expanding.

Those two incentives create a situation where you will always have some miners that are close to zero profit, and not very many of those that are spending 0.1 BTC to mine 1 BTC.

Unfortunately electricity is not the only cost of mining. There are many costs associated with it. Some of these are minor (pun not intended), for example:
  • Storage
  • Tax
  • Maintenance

However, you are ignoring what is easily the second-greatest cost to mining: hardware depreciation. ASICs are useful for mining and only mining. With the current arms race, which is likely to continue, an ASIC unit becomes obsolete as soon as it can no longer mine efficiently enough to beat its own electrical (& storage and maintenance) costs. Over an ASIC's lifetime, its value shrinks until it reaches zero as soon as it starts losing money.

If miners behaved as you stated, the lifetime of an ASIC will be very short. Even assuming a conservative estimate of ASIC speed growth, the cost per coin should double every few months. How much an ASIC unit makes could be modelled with the equation:

Code:
Profit = 0.5 × (C−e) × d − $
 (C = initial gross earnings per day
  e = daily operation costs
  d = number of days until ASIC worthless
  $ = initial cost of the ASIC)

Miners, as a whole, will always get more ASICs as long as the profit is positive. Assume that we reach an equilibrium state, with buying a new ASIC equally likely to be profitable or unprofitable. Assuming the a conservative rate of growth (let's use 200 days because it's a nice round number), we can simplify this model thus:

Code:
0 = 0.5 × C × d − $
0 = 0.5 × C × 200 (log C − log e) − $
0 = 100C × (log C − log e) − $
$ = 100C × (log C − log e)
 (log represents to the base of 2)

Your number, "efficiency", is given as e/C. As C and $ should in theory be related proportionally, we can introduce a new constant Q = $/C. Our equation is then thus:

Code:
Q = 100 × [log (C/e)]
2^Q = (C/e)^100
(1/2^Q)^(1/100) = e/C
(1/2)^(Q/100) = e/C
 (log represents to the base of 2)

This equation points out that the efficiency constant will decrease with an increase in one-time cost of the ASIC. An Avalon ASIC costs ~120 BTC at market price and earns approximately 4 BTC every day, so the experimental value for Q is 30 days (note that the formula has units of 2x days on both sides; the right side has the value hidden after the substitution of d). Therefore:

Code:
e/C = (1/2)^(Q/100)
    = (1/2)^(30/100)
    = (1/2)^(3/10)
    ≈ 0.8

Therefore, miners will actually use significantly less electricity than they generate in BTC—and that's with a zero margin.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:08:52 AM

I think you forget, many people are willing to mine at a loss due to the prospect of long term Bitcoin ownership.
Which is still a dumb idea.

Spend $100 in electricity and get 0.5 BTC, or spend $100 on Bitcoins and get 1.0 BTC.  The choice should be obvious.  Mining at a loss is never a good (financial) idea.
mestar

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:31:40 AM

Sure, but their effect on the price is exactly the same as if they bought those bitcoins on the exchange, plus some security.

In other words, they do not change the feedback loop where the rising prices of bitcoins cause the price of bitcons to fall.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:38:43 AM

However, you are ignoring what is easily the second-greatest cost to mining: hardware depreciation. ASICs are useful for mining and only mining.

A great and overlooked truth, that.  It's why I quit mining in August, and went to straight buying.

I sold off my mining equipment by putting together a few awesome gaming machines at very competitive prices, for some people I know who are into that.

Can't do that with ASICs... so I'll let the people who want to go pure pro deal with mining.  I'll pick up some little ASIC miner one of these days, when you can actually buy one and get it in a few days - just to support the network - and solo mine for the hell of it.  I could get lucky.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:49:35 AM

However, you are ignoring what is easily the second-greatest cost to mining: hardware depreciation. ASICs are useful for mining and only mining.

A great and overlooked truth, that.  It's why I quit mining in August, and went to straight buying.

I sold off my mining equipment by putting together a few awesome gaming machines at very competitive prices, for some people I know who are into that.

Can't do that with ASICs... so I'll let the people who want to go pure pro deal with mining.  I'll pick up some little ASIC miner one of these days, when you can actually buy one and get it in a few days - just to support the network - and solo mine for the hell of it.  I could get lucky.

This.  When ASICS are $1/TH (or whatever they get to when they are on the same process size as top of then line CPUs) I'll be cashing out a few BTC for mining hardware.  Until then, I'll run some GPUs in the winter to keep warm and hold any satoshis I can eek out.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
mestar

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:00:16 AM

Unfortunately electricity is not the only cost of mining. There are many costs associated with it. Some of these are minor (pun not intended), for example:
  • Storage
  • Tax
  • Maintenance

I was just keeping it simple.

I think you misunderstood the main point of my argument, and that is that there is a feedback between bitcoin price and the running cost of all the miners, and that this running cost will tend to a non trivial part of the amount of USD you get when you multiply the price of bitcoin with the awards.  I estimated this to be 0.5 to 0.75 of the awards.  And this amount of money has to be balanced with the new speculative investments for the price to be stable.

Modeling a lifetime of a single ASIC is a more complicated way to do it, simply because your less and less efficient miner starts its life with less competition, and then ends it with more.  But I am looking only one point in time, and the distribution of costs (electricity and all) of all miners.

And that distribution is the only thing you need for the argument to work.  The initial cost of miners, if bought with USD does not effect the price of BTC simply because it does not go trough the exchanges.  (If you bought it with BTC, I'm sure a large part of that will get out of BTC at some point)

This is how you construct the picture.  Take the cost of running each miner in BTC per BTC mined,  sort them, lower to higher.   The area under that curve is the number we are interested in.

We might get something like this:
Code:
1       x
      xxx
    xxxxx
 xxxxxxxx
0xxxxxxxx

And the idea is that the real distribution tends to something with the properties:

-no miner is free of running costs -> the curve does not start at (0,0), but at (0,x) where x > 0
-the last miner will be marginally profitabile, -> the curve ends at (n,1)

If the price jumps, the curve could temporary look like this:

Code:

0xxxxxxxx

But this means that mining is hugely profitable, and market forces will push it in this direction:

Code:

0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

and then the difficulty will adjust:

Code:
1                       xxxxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(I took my estimates as lines  (0,0.5 to n, 1) -> 0.75, and (0,0 to n,1) -> 0.5.)

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:19:08 AM

Guys, please let us stay on topic.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Le Happy Merchant

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:41:43 AM

Which is still a dumb idea.

Spend $100 in electricity and get 0.5 BTC, or spend $100 on Bitcoins and get 1.0 BTC.  The choice should be obvious.  Mining at a loss is never a good (financial) idea.

I should have been more clear. I meant a loss after the cost of the rig was subtracted.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:04:38 PM

haha: http://rt.com/news/bitcoin-challenge-dollar-currency-121/

this "idea" of comparing bitcoin "market cap" to money floating around in various currencies is making the round.

Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:49:42 PM

What about the idea of comparing transaction volume to other payment processors?

Paypal has a transaction volume of about 16 billion US$ per year.

Bitcoin's current transaction volume is about 300,000 BTC per day. If we assume a market price of 90$ that would add up to about 10 billion US$ per year.

So if Bitcoin usage and price stays at least at the current level then it is already 62% of Paypal.

The parity price for Paypal (assuming transactions stay at least the same) would be:
147$

Of course a significant amount of usage for Bitcoin is exchanging for Fiat currency while Paypal is almost all for goods and services.

cjgames.com
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:19:38 PM

What about the idea of comparing transaction volume to other payment processors?

Paypal has a transaction volume of about 16 billion US$ per year.

Bitcoin's current transaction volume is about 300,000 BTC per day. If we assume a market price of 90$ that would add up to about 10 billion US$ per year.

So if Bitcoin usage and price stays at least at the current level then it is already 62% of Paypal.

The parity price for Paypal (assuming transactions stay at least the same) would be:
147$

Of course a significant amount of usage for Bitcoin is exchanging for Fiat currency while Paypal is almost all for goods and services.

A lot of those BTC are change too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: