Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:49:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will my f*cking Silver be worth something?  (Read 4752 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:00:55 AM

Kinda
Find it at the store? Its still cool. I was at my coin/gold store the other day and they had a 2.7 ounce solid gold nugget. The things I would do to that...

The first gold fleshlight?
You better patent that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:01:45 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 12:15:41 AM by johnniewalker

What? I can't say that "silver is used in industry"?
And "marketing terms"? I'm not trying to sell anything here lol.
Failed trolling attempt.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 12:04:05 AM

When will my f*cking Silver be worth something?

It is worth something...almost .5 BTC/oz (for now).

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:07:17 AM

When will my f*cking Silver be worth something?

It is worth something...almost .5 BTC/oz (for now).
Don't remind me.
Insane though, isn't it?
I remember probably like two weeks ago paying just over a bitcoin for a Maple Leaf...if I had waited I would have had 2 : (
calian

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:17:16 AM

I thought the main industrial use for silver was film photography which I'm pretty sure is a dying field.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:59:07 AM

What? I can't say that "silver is used in industry"?
And "marketing terms"? I'm not trying to sell anything here lol.
Failed trolling attempt.

Pants are used in industry.
Wood is used in industry.
Lamps are used in industry.
Air is used in industry.

Sure you can say it.  But it is meaningless marketing speak that can be said about nearly anything.  If you want to talk about the changes in demand from a particular industry I might pay you some mind.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
debianlinux

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:09:52 AM

I thought the main industrial use for silver was film photography which I'm pretty sure is a dying field.
The main industrial use is for electrical conductors. Billions of Ipads, Flat screen TVs and Cell-phones contain significant amount of silver. Solar PV panles are a massive silver sink and a rapidly emerging market. The large majority of this silver is considered irrecoverable (not the case with film). Additionally, the price for that silver is realtively inelastic. That is, if silver triples in price then a single Ipad may only nudge up $5-$10 but multiplied over the whole of the production it is significant yet people will happily pay it.

the argument for industrial silver pushing the price up is valid.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:33:17 AM

The main industrial use is for electrical conductors. Billions of Ipads, Flat screen TVs and Cell-phones contain significant amount of silver. Solar PV panles are a massive silver sink and a rapidly emerging market. The large majority of this silver is considered irrecoverable (not the case with film). Additionally, the price for that silver is realtively inelastic. That is, if silver triples in price then a single Ipad may only nudge up $5-$10 but multiplied over the whole of the production it is significant yet people will happily pay it.

This is how you share actual information.  Thank you.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:47:56 AM

It used to be, but there are new applications now (as mentioned in previous posts).
hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:07:27 AM

Pretty woman in gem store was so charming... so I bought that peice she offered  Grin

LOL, that looks awfully like a chunk of pyrite.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:19:02 AM

Pretty woman in gem store was so charming... so I bought that peice she offered  Grin

LOL, that looks awfully like a chunk of pyrite.

I think he might have been looking at the non-metallic gem when he was making his purchase  Wink
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:09:10 AM

Sorry, your highness. The conversation I started wasn't titled "The Industrial Uses of Silver". I merely said what I said to make a point that silver is used in industry, as gold is, but to a greater extent. The conversation from the beginning was about the value of silver. That's exactly why I started it in the "Speculation" area. Go pick a fight with someone else.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:27:45 PM

Sorry, your highness. The conversation I started wasn't titled "The Industrial Uses of Silver". I merely said what I said to make a point that silver is used in industry, as gold is, but to a greater extent. The conversation from the beginning was about the value of silver. That's exactly why I started it in the "Speculation" area. Go pick a fight with someone else.

Sorry you're butthurt.  I guess I won't thank people for sharing information anymore because it might make you sad since you only have marketing speak to fall back on.  Roll Eyes

imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:47:18 AM

I don't recall a day this year (not saying there hasn't been one that I didn't notice) where silver was over $30/oz. There is supposedly a worldwide shortage of silver...who woulda thunk it looking at market prices. I love my cool designed rounds and bars, but when will silver really rise? At least consistently past the $30 threshold? It is pretty disturbing to think that we're just about at the point where 1BTC=2 oz Silver!
I think you might find this usefulSmiley

usagi
VIP

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:50:33 AM

The conversation I started wasn't titled "The Industrial Uses of Silver". I merely said what I said to make a point that silver is used in industry, as gold is, but to a greater extent. The conversation from the beginning was about the value of silver. That's exactly why I started it in the "Speculation" area. Go pick a fight with someone else.

You are right to hold silver. You are drinking upstream from the herd. Remember, it's cheap now because no one understands what is really happening with the silver market. The fact that BTC has tripled in the last couple of months is a gift. No one knows where the price is going next week or next month but if you have vision, you can predict what is going to happen next. You just don't know when it is going to happen.

You strike me as someone who has the sight. So. Buy a little today, buy a little tomorrow.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:38:09 AM

I don't recall a day this year (not saying there hasn't been one that I didn't notice) where silver was over $30/oz. There is supposedly a worldwide shortage of silver...who woulda thunk it looking at market prices. I love my cool designed rounds and bars, but when will silver really rise? At least consistently past the $30 threshold? It is pretty disturbing to think that we're just about at the point where 1BTC=2 oz Silver!

You made a mistake fragmenting your wealth into illiquid, useless tokens. They will never be worth anything. Expecting silver rounds to make you rich is no different from daydreaming about how your extensive collection of "collectible" plastic dolls or vintage bricks will make you rich.

Precious metals and silver especially have massive handling costs associated with them, which makes the entire thing a novelty/consumer affair, not an investment. As a general rule of thumb, if you're "investing" in silver and your unit is not the metric ton, or if you're "investing" in gold and your unit is not the kilogram you're never going to show a net profit.

Forget about the entire thing, mark it down as yet another one of those cases where you (the naive, clueless, stupid-but-unaware) consumer got fooled by unethical salesmanship into parting with your cash for no benefit whatsoever. Try and learn from it, maybe.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:20:53 PM

You made a mistake fragmenting your wealth into illiquid, useless tokens. They will never be worth anything. Expecting silver rounds to make you rich is no different from daydreaming about how your extensive collection of "collectible" plastic dolls or vintage bricks will make you rich.

Precious metals and silver especially have massive handling costs associated with them, which makes the entire thing a novelty/consumer affair, not an investment. As a general rule of thumb, if you're "investing" in silver and your unit is not the metric ton, or if you're "investing" in gold and your unit is not the kilogram you're never going to show a net profit.

Forget about the entire thing, mark it down as yet another one of those cases where you (the naive, clueless, stupid-but-unaware) consumer got fooled by unethical salesmanship into parting with your cash for no benefit whatsoever. Try and learn from it, maybe.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:57:10 PM

Easier to bend into cool shapes, duh!

It's hard to light a cigar from a silver round.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 03:36:33 PM

This was very well written.  You spoke/typed this out eloquently.  I can tell that you thought this out, and communicated your thoughts in a way that made your point clear to anyone who bothers to read it.  It is a shame that the point you are making, is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard.

I do not feel the need to justify my opinion with facts, charts, or historical data.  I assume that you have seen them and chose to dismiss them.  I have been investing in precious metals for almost 15 years and paid off my mortgage with the profit you claim that I will never show.  YOU are the one who is "naive, clueless, stupid-but-unaware".  Please do not give out financial advice.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 04:46:24 PM

I've got some physical silver and a chunk invested in goldmoney with silver. I expect huge shifts in the silver price when the bankers lose control of the manipulation. They are like king canute trying to stop the tide. they will fail. It will be epic.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: