Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:45:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: THIS IS NOT WHAT BITCOIN WAS MADE FOR!  (Read 4574 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 02:45:27 PM

What specifically do you propose you can and are going to do about it?  (Besides posting in a forum)

Man I'm a journalist,  the only thing I do is tell the people what I hear.

That's call FUD and we get plenty of it around here lol.

LOL!  I won't disagree...  all I did was report what I was told... 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:48:50 PM

Maybe...   I personally view it as an abuse of what bitcoin was built for.   So for that i'm guilty....  

However I was also successful as you now know that there is a company out there,  most likely funded by Video Game makers that will be using Bitcoins for DRM.  So does everyone else reading it.

I, along with probably most people here, would say it's impossible to "abuse" bitcoins in any way, shape, or form.  

If your goal is to grab eye-balls through sensational journalism then yea, you met your goal. Just be prepared for the forum rage Smiley

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:50:04 PM

It won't work. They are talking about using a fork, not Bitcoin itself. Nobody will support their forked blockchain and it will be attacked.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 02:52:15 PM

It won't work. They are talking about using a fork, not Bitcoin itself. Nobody will support their forked blockchain and it will be attacked.

they could use bitcoin itself,  dividable down to several decimal points.   

What would be funny in that case is that if the price increases to the point where it's profitable to buy the video game just to take out the micro bitcoins.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:53:37 PM

It can work if for example blocks cannot be generated by random miners but only by the company itself. Or you can only merge-mine this exclusively together with Bitcoin blocks...

Anyways, there are other, better systems already in place if you want to ensure that games can only be activated for a certain amount of times - and as every DRM scheme they are either broken or heavily centralized.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:54:31 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 03:25:39 PM by cbeast

they could use bitcoin itself,  dividable down to several decimal points.    

What would be funny in that case is that if the price increases to the point where it's profitable to buy the video game just to take out the micro bitcoins.

If they use Bitcoin, the tokens for the DRM will cost much more than the game and the business model won't scale.

edit: OTOH, this may be brilliant and the game buyers could end up getting their money back by having bitcoins worth more than the game. They will play games for free.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MarlboroMan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:20:31 PM

people will hoard when they want to hoard, nothing can stop that.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:45:54 PM

The very title of this thread is fundamentally wrong since I didn't read anything in satoshi's paper stating that bitcoin couldn't be used for this or that...

Nothing in your car manual states that you shouldn't plow pedestrians over driving down the street.   Since it's not in the manual it shouldn't be a worry right?

A very good point. Car makers assume the users have some common sense. Smiley
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:48:57 PM

I don't see anything wrong with that.   I think DRM are the only legitimate way to protect whatever you consider as your right to prevent people to copy digital files they bought from you.

I very much prefer this kind of technical method to law enforcement, anyway.

And if you don't like DRM, don't use non-free software.  It's as simple as that.
This. I fully support the idea of using bitcoin protocol for drm. Then people might actually get the full potential of bitcoin (protocol).
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:53:07 PM

We like investments in Bitcoin, in fact we embrace it as it’s our sole income here at AdaptiveGlass. However some VC money is going to areas of Bitcoin investments that we are not that happy about.

We heard it on Good Authority (from the CEO of the DRM bitcoin startup) that at least 5 game makers, including LucasArts and EA are or at least were prior to the SimCity launch intending to fund his Video Game DRM company based on Bitcoin Technology.

http://www.adaptiveglass.com/?p=626

Any publicity is good publicity.
Smiley
You're simply stating an anarchist posture. I have no problem with bitcoin being used for DRM. So be it if people gets to know bitcoin

Well, it's not really an anarchist posture, DRM in some forms can restrict property rights, If i want to copy a game to keep a back-up incase my original disk gets scratched why shouldn't I be able to do that I paid for it. Or if i want to install it on more than one computer in my house, if I buy baked beans from the shop they can't tell me how many bowls to put it in or how many serving of it I can have.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:11:07 PM

We heard it on Good Authority (from the CEO of the DRM bitcoin startup) that at least 5 game makers, including LucasArts and EA are or at least were prior to the SimCity launch intending to fund his Video Game DRM company based on Bitcoin Technology.

The article is pure sensationalist tripe

+1

Also, bitcoin is simply a superior medium of exchange to fiat and precious metals, it's not a copyright policy trip.
We should expect and even rejoice at bitcoin supplanting fiat in ANY form of commerce, even the shitty (copyright) or illegal (SR) ones.
Troll Toll

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:23:00 PM

bitcoin can and should be used for whatever people want. what authority are you to say what one person or company can or can't use bitcoins for? it functions as a currency without a central authority, and you sir are no authority over what anyone chooses to do with it.

You gotta pay
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 05:25:48 PM

Bitcoin is a free system, people will use it for what they want.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:33:17 PM

First of all opposing DRM is not anarchy, quite the opposite, since DRM is an attack on the property rights of end users since in order for the DRM to kind of work the publisher has to take over control of the end user's computing devices. This is why so many technologically aware people are so opposed to DRM.

Now the use of Bitcoin for DRM will fail just like every other DRM scheme since like any other type of DRM, DRM is ultimately about hiding information among somebody else's private property and hoping that the owner of said private property will not find the information. In this case the private keys to the Bitcoins will have to be hidden somewhere in the end users computer. Find the private keys and the DRM is busted. This DRM does add a very interesting twist, since of in order for this to work the value of the BTC has to be comparable to the retail cost of the game. Set the value of the BTC too low and one can then pirate that game by simply paying the BTC amount. But what happens if the value of Bitcoin rises? Then we will have people buying the game in order to crack the DRM and extract the far more valuable Bitcoins. After the valuable Bitcoins have been extracted then the game can be pirated and played for what ever that is worth.

This does add a new dimension to the concept of "mining" for Bitcoins.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 06:00:48 PM

The concept is simple, each game will be assigned X numbers of micro bitcoins (or something similar) each time the game is installed, it will send X automatically to the game maker. When the balance is zero, the game will start asking for money or will be crippled.

As a gamer I will see companies like Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts and yes even Valve, any that use these kind of systems will be kicked out of the industry, this kind of thing is precisely why I oppose any kind of DRM. These people don't care about intellectual property rights or making good games, they just want to make sure that the customers pay even if that means screwing over people who willingly play by their rules.

I have a particular vandetta against Sony Online Entertainment as well for what they did to Pre-Cu Star Wars Galaxies
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:29:58 PM

[...] even Valve [...] These people don't care about intellectual property rights or making good games, they just want to make sure that the customers pay even if that means screwing over people who willingly play by their rules.

Well, I'd like to think that some of them care more than others.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:50:16 PM

First of all opposing DRM is not anarchy, quite the opposite, since DRM is an attack on the property rights of end users since in order for the DRM to kind of work the publisher has to take over control of the end user's computing devices.

This is what happens whenever you execute a non-free software.   So stop complaining.

DRM are absolutely fine.

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 06:57:30 PM

DRM is silly, and fundamentally a short-term kludge that tries to patch over fundamental changes in the market.

The proposed DRM mechanism in the article is especially silly, because there's already an attack that breaks it (assuming you control the internet connection of the software being tricked).

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Set the value of the BTC too low and one can then pirate that game by simply paying the BTC amount.
If they are going to all this trouble they might as well just make the game pay-to-play and let people copy it as much as they want. Set the price low enough and most people won't bother cracking it and they'll make up the lower markup with increased volume.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:35:10 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 07:53:24 PM by ArticMine

First of all opposing DRM is not anarchy, quite the opposite, since DRM is an attack on the property rights of end users since in order for the DRM to kind of work the publisher has to take over control of the end user's computing devices.

This is what happens whenever you execute a non-free software.   So stop complaining.

DRM are absolutely fine.

No DRM is an entirely different issue from Free vs Proprietary software. DRM is way worse than any of the loss of freedom due to proprietary software. In the 1990's I was a loyal customer of Microsoft because Microsoft was one of the few companies that did not infect their products with DRM. In those days DRM consisted among other things of deliberately creating bad sectors on 5.25in floppy diskettes. When Microsoft turned to the dark side with DRM at the turn of the millennium I went with GNU/Linux and Free Software.

Furthermore is possible to infect Free Software with DRM, if the Free Software does not use GPLv3 or AGPLv3. Ever heard of the TIVO or the Kindle?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: