Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:31:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardfork = Mitosis  (Read 5666 times)
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 07:13:35 PM

Updated the OP with Ethereum fiasco hardfork.

Do you really want the same to happen with bitcoin? I hope not. So hardforks are unthinkable!

You got no idea. That's ok, you fit in here.. Bitcointalk.
You have declared yourself "RealBitcoin" Bullshite.
"NXT is the best altcoin", now replaced by "free market capitalist". More bullshite.

As has been said, Mitosis is nothing like a Bitcoin hard fork.
Eth is nothing like Btcoin.
The reason for an ETH hard fork is nothing like a block size increase in Bitcoin.

Your uninformed opinion is irrelevant to a miner led Bitcoin hard fork.

Yea and what do you do when there will be 42,000,000 BTC in circulation because bitcoin splits in 2, so your money is worth half?

Assuming that everyone switches to one of the chains and ditches the other one, your money wouldn't be halved by definition because the other chain becomes defunct because no-one is using it at all.

I agree that hard forks should be avoided when possible, but they do have their uses for fixing things with the technology of the blockchain if there is an issue. All that is required is everyone changing chains.
RealBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 07:17:04 PM

Assuming that everyone switches to one of the chains and ditches the other one, your money wouldn't be halved by definition because the other chain becomes defunct because no-one is using it at all.

Wrong assumption.

There are always dissidents, even if the top mining farms agree on hardfork and say 3% of the network doesn't.

The small miners will mine the old chain, because the difficulty will be low there once the big guys get out, and then slowly the miners will come back there because the diffuculty drop incentive as more and more support goes there.

Eventually it will settle at 50-50%, the supply of bitcoin doubles, and your money will be worth half as it was previously. Enjoy that...

rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 07:31:46 PM

Wrong assumption.

There are always dissidents, even if the top mining farms agree on hardfork and say 3% of the network doesn't.

The small miners will mine the old chain, because the difficulty will be low there once the big guys get out, and then slowly the miners will come back there because the diffuculty drop incentive as more and more support goes there.

Eventually it will settle at 50-50%, the supply of bitcoin doubles, and your money will be worth half as it was previously. Enjoy that...

Mining difficulty will not be low. I think that is your fundamental flaw here.
With 3% hash power it will take forever to mine a block.
You can trade all you want on that chain. You will never receive your "bitcoin".

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 07:38:45 PM

You can trade all you want on that chain. You will never receive your "bitcoin".

What? That is nonsense. If the big guys leave the old chain and join the new chain, then the old bitcoin's difficulty will drop to CPU mining levels.

Everyone could just grab their CPU or GPU card and start mining bitcoin again without ASICS.

The old chain would literally be like bitcoin in 2010.

There is of course 2 week period for diffuculty adjustment, so the forkers have 2 week to stabilize their chain. Which I doubt is enough time to do it.

Just watch ETH classic and see yourself, in ETH the difficulty retarget interval is literally 15 seconds.

rizzlarolla

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:26:42 PM

What? That is nonsense. If the big guys leave the old chain and join the new chain, then the old bitcoin's difficulty will drop to CPU mining levels.

Everyone could just grab their CPU or GPU card and start mining bitcoin again without ASICS.

The old chain would literally be like bitcoin in 2010.

There is of course 2 week period for diffuculty adjustment, so the forkers have 2 week to stabilize their chain. Which I doubt is enough time to do it.

Just watch ETH classic and see yourself, in ETH the difficulty retarget interval is literally 15 seconds.

Eth block time and retarget is completely different?

There is no 2 week difficulty adjustment in Bitcoin. It is ever 2016 blocks mined.
3% hash would take 5 hours to mine 1 block. (at 1mb, fees would be astronomical, mempool full, you would not get in, ever, on average)

Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:40:48 PM

Your 50-50% and the supply of bitcoin doubling is simply nonsence. After first halving, there were few who hard forked and continued mining blocks with 50 BTC reward. Where are they today? How popular is their chain ? And most importantly, did it even doubled the Bitcoin supply ?

If it was as simple as you describe it, Bitcoin would be already worth almost nothing as every hard fork from small group of people would create long lasting chain somehow mysteriously settling at equeal popularity and everytime reducting the Bitcoin market cap by half. How clever attack! Except it doesnt work this way...

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:43:43 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2016, 08:55:21 PM by RealBitcoin

Eth block time and retarget is completely different?

There is no 2 week difficulty adjustment in Bitcoin. It is ever 2016 blocks mined.
3% hash would take 5 hours to mine 1 block. (at 1mb, fees would be astronomical, mempool full, you would not get in, ever, on average)

2016 blocks == 2 weeks with current mining power.

Of course if the hardfork happens just 1 day before the difficulty adjustment, then its a worse.

Plus it only takes 1 big miner to support the fork until the difficulty changes, and then it becomes self sustaining.

Yes in bitcoin it's easier to maintain the majority status quo, but a dissenting fork could still happen.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:47:47 PM

Your 50-50% and the supply of bitcoin doubling is simply nonsence. After first halving, there were few who hard forked and continued mining blocks with 50 BTC reward. Where are they today? How popular is their chain ? And most importantly, did it even doubled the Bitcoin supply ?

First of all, back then there were only a few hundred people, now there are millions of people.

Harder to persuade millions of people than a few hundred (especially if we play this politics game now)

Imagine convincing your neighbors vs convincing your country of something.

The difficulty is larger with more people, because the entropy grows and you need to use more and more force to counter that.

Why do you think the trolls are banned from this forum? If they had their way, bitcoin would have already broken into hundreds of hardfork altcoins...

Everyone with their silly ideas, how stupid is this political game and infighting...

Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 09:11:15 PM

Why do you think the trolls are banned from this forum? If they had their way, bitcoin would have already broken into hundreds of hardfork altcoins...

You giving too much importance to this forum. Banning spammers might just help this forum to be readable better, but it can not have much impact on preventing broking Bitcoin into hundreds of altcoins via hardforks... The reason is it is not so easy to have two chains sustainable longterm, you need good support from people for both chains so these can exist longterm, otherwise one chain simply gets forgotten after some time no matter if someone continues mining it.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 09:21:34 PM

You giving too much importance to this forum. Banning spammers might just help this forum to be readable better, but it can not have much impact on preventing broking Bitcoin into hundreds of altcoins via hardforks... The reason is it is not so easy to have two chains sustainable longterm, you need good support from people for both chains so these can exist longterm, otherwise one chain simply gets forgotten after some time no matter if someone continues mining it.

Ok lets just agree to disagree for now, and watch what happens to ETH and ETC, it is a live example of this situation.

And we shall see then who is right and who is wrong.

rizzlarolla

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 10:16:56 PM

Ok lets just agree to disagree for now...

No. Let's just agree you are clueless.

Evidence? Read this thread.
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 03:25:19 PM

Ethereum classic is at 13% mining capacity now.

So now my 50-50% equilibrium theory doesnt sound so stupid after all? Stupid optimistic sheeps!

How stupid can people be for to think that 1 chain can totally absorb the other without dissent? There can never be 100% consensus, it is impossible.

That is why a hardfork should never happen in bitcoin.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 03:41:10 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2016, 03:54:46 PM by franky1

by devs not releasing code to allow open choice for the entire population to choose features, and twist it into a dictatorship of stay with BS(core) and we will push you over to sidechains because bitcoin is too expensive to use.. or move away from BS)core) and be afraid of (imaginary) doomsdays.. will i agree never get 100% consensus..

however. releasing the code which luke JR (part of BS and core) should be doing soon will atleast stop debates about dictating "factions" and be purely about code/features. allowing for more true open and free choice of consensus..

so "realbitcoin".. are you going to throw lukeJR under the REKT bus when he solves the controversy? or accept it and resign to the fact that the "factions controversy is finally over

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 04:01:41 PM

by devs not releasing code to allow open choice for the entire population to choose features, and twist it into a dictatorship of stay with BS(core) and we will push you over to sidechains because bitcoin is too expensive to use.. or move away from BS)core) and be afraid of (imaginary) doomsdays.. will i agree never get 100% consensus..

however. releasing the code which luke JR (part of BS and core) should be doing soon will atleast stop debates about dictating "factions" and be purely about code/features. allowing for more true open and free choice of consensus..

so "realbitcoin".. are you going to throw lukeJR under the REKT bus when he solves the controversy? or accept it and resign to the fact that the "factions controversy is finally over

Release the code. But then again the issue is more of a logical/political issue not a programming one.

Bitcoin should not descend into idiocracy, so some standards have to be kept. I dont know why you bash constantly the bitcoin core team because they have made bitcoin what it is today 10 billion $.

If bitcoin were to descend into idiocracy, then let the 60 IQ monkeys program the bitcoin/bitcoin repository and see how well that will work out.

In fact, go get a team of janitors and start building your BTC 2.0, I will be curious of your results.

coinsocieties

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

io.ezystayz.com

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 04:06:28 PM

So you call yourself a "Free Market Capitalist" but you are afraid of a free market?  Wow, I'm impressed.

FYI, hard forks have occurred in the past.

FYI, the only way both forks would continue on is if a subset of miners kept mining each fork.

FYI, if that happened (it wouldn't), you would still control the same amount of "money" with the same private keys, it would just be divided across two chains.
That is what I was thinking would happen.  If the chains would split, you would generally have the one half of the original amount on each of the two halves which would equal what you originally started out with.

████████                                         ▄▄▄▄                                                                       
     ██                                                 ███████      ██          ▄▄▄▄                                         
     ██              ████████   ██     ██   ██       ▀▀     ██       ███████       ██     ██   ████████
     ██████              ▄██▀   ██     ██     ▀██▄      ██████   ██      ██       ██     ██           ▄██▀
     ██                  ▄██▀       ██     ██         ▀██▄      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██       ▄██▀   
     ██              ▄██▀           ██     ██  ▄▄       ██      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██   ▄██▀       
     ████████  ████████    ▀█████   ███████      ██▄█   ███████▄█    ▀█████   ████████
                                         █▄    ▄██       ▀▀▀▀           ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀   █▄    ▄██                  
                                           ▀███▀                                                          ▀███▀