Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:11:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Butterfly Labs (BFL) get a Scammer tag?
Yes - 1005 (80.4%)
No - 245 (19.6%)
Total Voters: 1250

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Should Butterfly Labs (BFL) get a Scammer tag?  (Read 28025 times)
Multifarious

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:56:16 PM

I voted yes after receiving a refund of about 6BTC when I wrote them a mail asking back the 70BTC i paid back in September based on their lies at that time (I was stupid enough to provide a btc address in this mail).

So, I missed the opportunity to sell my 70BTC with good profit during the bubble and I dont have an order anymore. They refuse to reinstate the order now as well.

Soooo...let me get this straight...you paid BTC70 in September (valued at, what, $700-840 or so..assuming $10-12 a coin)...and you hate BFL because they didn't give you $17,000+ back during the bubble?

Are you retarded?

Did you actually pay in BTC, or just pay through BitPay? Cause if you actually paid with BTC, then yeah, you got fucked.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:48:51 PM

Did you actually pay in BTC, or just pay through BitPay? Cause if you actually paid with BTC, then yeah, you got fucked.

They're one in the same.

How buying a product from Butterfly Labs works:

Method #1: Paypal
Log on to Paypal >> Pay for the preorder through debit or credit >> BFL gets your cash

Method #2: Wire Transfer
Get bank info from BFL >> Contact your bank and send money to the account >> Wait a week or two >> BFL gets your cash

Method #3: Bitcoins
BFL sends you to BitPay >> BitPay calculates the cost in BTC >> Send BTC to BitPay >> BitPay instantly converts those coins to cash >> BFL gets your cash

The common theme here is that Butterfly labs doesn't deal in Bitcoins...

Multifarious

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:19:15 AM

They're one in the same.

How buying a product from Butterfly Labs works:

Method #1: Paypal
Log on to Paypal >> Pay for the preorder through debit or credit >> BFL gets your cash

Method #2: Wire Transfer
Get bank info from BFL >> Contact your bank and send money to the account >> Wait a week or two >> BFL gets your cash

Method #3: Bitcoins
BFL sends you to BitPay >> BitPay calculates the cost in BTC >> Send BTC to BitPay >> BitPay instantly converts those coins to cash >> BFL gets your cash

The common theme here is that Butterfly labs doesn't deal in Bitcoins...

Yeah, that's what the website said, but I didn't know if they had changed it in the time since he bought the ASIC. I thought maybe at one time you could send straight BTC to BFL w/o BitPay as the middle-man.

I assume your response means that they have not.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:06:34 PM

BFL might deliver but the unbelievable amount of lies deserve a scammer tag.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 05:37:32 PM

Maybe I have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone actually state any contractual obligations that were ignored by BFL.  I think this may greatly help your case.

If there are none, it is possible that they are abusing the loose obligations placed upon them.  Even if they are not specifically violating their agreement, at some point the line has to be drawn.  I think that is what this poll is asking.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:06:28 AM

... at some point the line has to be drawn. 

The line will draw itself. Once difficulty is so high that BFL devices won't make any money people will stop pre-ordering. And start requesting refunds in masses.

Until then: Greed will fuel BFLs order queue.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:17:46 AM

... at some point the line has to be drawn. 

The line will draw itself. Once difficulty is so high that BFL devices won't make any money people will stop pre-ordering. And start requesting refunds in masses.

Until then: Greed will fuel BFLs order queue.

I think a season of winter in bitcoin is coming...

Not sure how long it will be but that cant be good for BFL customers.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

keepinithamsta

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:31:45 PM

Regardless of scam accusations, they need to ship soon or they will collapse under their own weight now that ASICMINER is taking open orders even though it's at 10x the amount.  Even though I don't have the money, I would rather spend 10x the amount instead of waiting an unspecified amount of time.
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:22:42 PM

Regardless of scam accusations, they need to ship soon or they will collapse under their own weight now that ASICMINER is taking open orders even though it's at 10x the amount.  Even though I don't have the money, I would rather spend 10x the amount instead of waiting an unspecified amount of time.

Agreed!

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
iANDROID

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:39:11 PM

4. When will the BitForce SC be available, and how fast are they?
Our ASIC based products ranging from 3.5 GH/s to 1,000 GH/s are currently scheduled for availability in October, 2012.
mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:56:25 AM

Maybe I have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone actually state any contractual obligations that were ignored by BFL.  I think this may greatly help your case.

If there are none, it is possible that they are abusing the loose obligations placed upon them.  Even if they are not specifically violating their agreement, at some point the line has to be drawn.  I think that is what this poll is asking.

Claiming they would deliver a product by the end of October in early October was fraud, plain and simple. There is no way they could have actually delivered anything at that point and they knew it. They would never be able to convince a court that they were that clueless about the time it takes to design an ASIC and get it up and running, test it, manufacture it, and ship it.

The funny thing is that they probably actually were pretty fast in designing their product when compared to others who have done so. It was just all the lies that made it look like they were so late.

There needs to be a class action lawsuit, or investigation by the attorney general to see what they were really intending when they announce a late October shipping date. My guess is that it was done to spur on more pre-orders and scare away their competitors. That is illegal. I bet a subpoena of their e-mails and internal memos would should that is exactly what they were doing.

Thus, I believe they deserve the scammer tag.
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:22:58 AM

Maybe you should have a read at this here:

This is all in September of the year 2012. I was led to believe according to this evidence that the units were to begin shipping soon. So as a consumer I based my decision on this. At the time I did not know any of the history behind the BFL company. Check the links and most important CHECK THE DATES.

JOSH what were you shipping soon in Nov? that turned in to Dec?

Is this clear enough for you to understand now?

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/16-announcement-bfl-asic-release-specifications.html

Here is an image I have copied in case the page disappears

Josh Zerlan, a BFL representative, expects to have chips in hand by the end of November and begin initial shipments shortly after. The number of units to be shipped in the first batch has not yet been determined. Josh also released new photos of the heat sinks for our viewing pleasure.

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/bfl-confirms-65nm-process-for-sc-lineup/

Go check the dates

This is not the only instance i found and this is pretty damning evidence that I believe no one could refuse.

Then you have this http://bitcoinmagazine.com/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/ which is dated for Oct 19, 2012. Here is an image of the page title along with the date highlighted.

And now look at the comments made. Wow better hurry and get those pre-orders in NOW!!!

Notice the dates moving along?

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 03:01:23 AM

None of those specifically quote him as saying anything, so it's hard to know what his phrasing is.
I haven't seen all of the information available on this.  I'm going on what I've read here, and a couple other threads.
Thanks for the response Frizz23!  I am interested in this as I would love to have some of their machines, but they do seem to be acting strangely.
MooC says that he was going to ship in Nov, but the article states he wouldn't even get the chips until late Nov.  I'm not sure how big of an operation they have, but I could see it taking a few months to turn those into however many thousands of machines.  As to why they didn't start sending them as they were built, I haven't seen a good answer to that.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Zephir

Activity: 533
Merit: 539

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:21:34 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 08:26:54 PM by Zephir

I have the best woman for Josh found at Gordon Ramsays kitchen nightmare this week.
She has the same crazy behavior like Josh, if somebody critisize her. Grin

Examples:
If you don´t like the meals she is cooking, your taste is wrong.
Don´t say anything, if you have to wait 1.5h for your pizza in a nearly empty restaurant, or you have to pay and go.

Really crazy stuff, watch yourself:

Part 1/2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LY7TJ16pg

Part2/2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XQDtoHpAWhg

Signatures lead to paid signature programs which leads to spam!

Clearly we must eliminate the signatures... or ban the paid sig programs
MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:04:50 PM

There is no reason BFL should get a scammer tag - It isn't their fault that people fell for a product that was clearly advertised and never be made public that it was going to be late and with more money and more power consumption.
ftfy

I have not added my yes vote..... yet
EBM

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:22:18 AM

How exactly bitching on BFL, Tom and others, who failed to deliver on time or didn't delivered at all, but didn't ran away with money, helps?

Shows the community keeps its own house in order, has a collective brain, isn't fooled en masse by scammers, etc.

Sweeping bad news under the carpet and expecting it to stay there? One word for that in the online Age: impossible.

PS. Question is not 'should BFL get a scammer tag', it's 'why the hell did BFL not get a scammer tag six months ago?'

Money up front and a year overdue: the scam has happened already.

Still, let's have more BFL adverts!

BTC: 1DZnyYaZ2VcQWNyYayNBqfTVQw2JQAmdA5
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:58:47 AM

Complaining about BFL can result in forced cancellations of your pre-orders.

Be careful folks.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:46:13 AM

Be careful folks.

I guess it is a good thing I have no preorders with BFL.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:25:06 AM

Be careful folks.

Mums the word.
MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:41:33 AM

Be careful folks.

Mums the word.

Sock puppet is the word...... or wear protection....
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: