Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:16:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do miners need to pay license fees to BS in future?  (Read 1408 times)
hv_ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2016, 07:59:07 PM

Because they run parts of their patented code bits?

https://blockstream.com/2016/07/19/blockstream-defensive-patent-strategy/

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 08:14:32 PM

No. Did you even read anything other than the headline?

Our patent strategy is designed to accomplish one simple goal: ensure that Blockstream technology is available for all to use, royalty-free.

If you use any technology we have patented, you may use it royalty-free, for any purpose, unless your actions violate the conditions we've stated (such as launching patent litigation against us or other users of our technology).

In a nutshell, the patent is simply meant to ensure the open-source nature of any technology that Blockstream employees create. They don't have to be paid any royalties -- that's all they're saying. I don't even know why you'd think what you thought when the article clearly and explicitly states the opposite.

Looking at it from their perspective, the patent is there just so no one can profit from maliciously claiming the work as their own or patenting parts of it in order to monopolize any technology built from it.
GermanGiant

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 10:44:58 AM

Because they run parts of their patented code bits?

https://blockstream.com/2016/07/19/blockstream-defensive-patent-strategy/
No way. Blockstream did not invent mining.
Mark02

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 01:28:14 PM

I don't think Blockstream could ever try and enforce it successfully anyways, there is no worry about this.

Maybe, but according to the article that I read(which is the article being the topic here) https://blockstream.com/2016/07/19/blockstream-defensive-patent-strategy/ . I don't see any words or phrases that says they will collect tax to the miners. And it is not right that miners will have to pay taxes because miners can only produce a tiny amount of profit, as the electricity cost and other expenses to deduct from their daily earnings, I think it will cost some miners to shut down their operation specially the small one's. Maybe the large miners can be, because they can support those expenses as they are earning a decent amount of returns everyday and in addition, they are already paying taxes included in the renting of the site, in the electricity cost and etc...
Wilhelmus

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 04:49:57 PM

Whatever they did in patenting, mining is not a thing coming from them, so nothing can be done by them in that way.
groll

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 04:00:02 AM

I don't think Blockstream could ever try and enforce it successfully anyways, there is no worry about this.

Maybe, but according to the article that I read(which is the article being the topic here) https://blockstream.com/2016/07/19/blockstream-defensive-patent-strategy/ . I don't see any words or phrases that says they will collect tax to the miners. And it is not right that miners will have to pay taxes because miners can only produce a tiny amount of profit, as the electricity cost and other expenses to deduct from their daily earnings, I think it will cost some miners to shut down their operation specially the small one's. Maybe the large miners can be, because they can support those expenses as they are earning a decent amount of returns everyday and in addition, they are already paying taxes included in the renting of the site, in the electricity cost and etc...

In the future or even today big mining farms will be taxed here in my country if ever they will built one here. But I guess even those in other countries are paying corporate taxes. The only miners who does not pay tax are those miners who are doing solo mining, or individuals who is/are not a company and doing mining in secret.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 07:37:39 AM

Whatever they did in patenting, mining is not a thing coming from them, so nothing can be done by them in that way.

You are quite wrong there. They can own a specific code for mining. This doesn't mean they own mining, they only own mining in this specific way.

If you read their statement, they are mainly doing this to prevent others from patenting stuff. Everything will remain free to use under their TOS.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 08:49:11 PM

Patent law recognises "prior art" as an absolute defense.

I wish Trademark law also did so.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
PremiumCodeX

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 02:23:43 PM

Your question comes from the concept of them wanting to run parts of their patented code bits and you assume they could get right to set license fee because of it, right? Well, it does not mean they will own the whole mining so they cannot change the terms of mining on such a scale in the future. Also, it would be against the concept of the free, decentralized BTC network.

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: