Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:17:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie with few important questions!  (Read 580 times)
orgut (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 07:10:42 AM

Hi
I`m considering using bitcoin but I heard some things that make me think otherwise and I want to know a few things before starting!
I`m getting money on paypal and I`d like to transfer this money to bitcoin in order to transfer it to Neteller:
1. Are there always people who will buy my money from paypal for bitcoins?
2. Are there always people who will buy bitcoins for Neteller?
3. I heard people hack wallets - What is the best way to avoid it and how safe is it?

P.S - All transactions occur in USD currency!

Hope you can answer this for me

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 09:58:08 AM

Paypal has been giving some trouble for some people regarding bitcoin in the past. Be careful with that.

As far as point 3 goes: Hacking is a major problem as everything happens on your computer and can potentially be compromised. Best way to avoid it is to use common sense (don't download suspicious files/emails/etc) to avoid virusses and trojans. Also, run a good virus scanner and firewall. Try to avoid having large amounts on your online machine, so you don't lose a lot if it gets compromised.

Finally, a hardware wallet like trezor will help a lot in securing your coins. It is expensive though, so not for everybody.
ajaxmoor
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 12:31:12 PM

Addressing each question one at a time.
1. Yes, look into the Currency Exchange section or Localbitcoins site to find traders who would trade bitcoin for paypal.
2. Same as 1. Localbitcoins preferred for this.
3. Back up your wallet in the beginning, and then don't connect that wallet to an infected pc. Simply just create a paper wallet on a non-infected pc.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 01:40:24 PM

Hi
I`m considering using bitcoin but I heard some things that make me think otherwise and I want to know a few things before starting!
I`m getting money on paypal and I`d like to transfer this money to bitcoin in order to transfer it to Neteller:
1. Are there always people who will buy my money from paypal for bitcoins?
2. Are there always people who will buy bitcoins for Neteller?
There will usually be many people who are willing to exchange paypal or neteller for Bitcoin. However, in most cases, you need to be trusted because PayPal and Neteller are reversible. Also, you will usually end up paying a high premium due to the risk that the seller takes by exchanging Bitcoin for something reversible.

3. I heard people hack wallets - What is the best way to avoid it and how safe is it?
It is actually hard to hack a wallet. Never use a web wallet; many times those websites have poor security practices and end up being hacked and the Bitcoin stolen, or they run away with your Bitcoin, or the service is just plain bad (e.g. blockchain.info).

If you have a hot wallet (a wallet that is on a computer connected to an internet), make sure that you keep the wallet software up to date, keep your operating system up to date, have an antivirus software, and use different strong passwords for your computer and your wallet. Always encrypt your wallet.

If you have a cold wallet (a wallet on a computer not connected to the internet, recommended), make sure that the computer you have the cold wallet on is clean of any viruses, and that you plan on never connecting that computer to the internet ever again.

Also make periodic backups and keep them in a secure, offline place.

JayLetterman

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 09:14:12 PM

Best way to safeguard your btc as well as all other valuable stuff that's on your computer, is to switch from Windows to Linux. Most malware is written for Windows because of the market share (and because it's the most vulnerable OS), so by not using Windows you greatly minimize the attack surface (even without taking any additional protective measures). Other things to consider doign (especially if on Windows) is to uninstall/disable java and flash.
coinsocieties

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

io.ezystayz.com

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 09:44:28 PM

Whatever you do, do not use PAYPAL to get your bitcoin.  Most people will charge you a fee for taking paypal in exchange for bitcoin.  If you want to do anything get a wallet which will accept an account for you to transfer money from your bank account to buy your bitcoin.  Just my opinion.

████████                                         ▄▄▄▄                                                                       
     ██                                                 ███████      ██          ▄▄▄▄                                         
     ██              ████████   ██     ██   ██       ▀▀     ██       ███████       ██     ██   ████████
     ██████              ▄██▀   ██     ██     ▀██▄      ██████   ██      ██       ██     ██           ▄██▀
     ██                  ▄██▀       ██     ██         ▀██▄      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██       ▄██▀   
     ██              ▄██▀           ██     ██  ▄▄       ██      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██   ▄██▀       
     ████████  ████████    ▀█████   ███████      ██▄█   ███████▄█    ▀█████   ████████
                                         █▄    ▄██       ▀▀▀▀           ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀   █▄    ▄██                  
                                           ▀███▀                                                          ▀███▀