Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:19:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting mining.  (Read 572 times)
demonmaestro (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:39:46 AM

I know this ain't the right section for posting about mining but its the only area that I can post in Undecided  so on that note here's a few questions that I have.

1) I have a few servers laying around I know they don't have a decent GPU due to onboard graphics but is running duel quad core Xeon processers  could they me used for mining?

2) due to GPU mining becoming more difficult is it worth mining at all?

3) kinda apon the last question. Due to this time of age of bitcoin is it worth spending the money and time investing in mining bitcoins?

Kinda also come to think about It this is kinda a good boobies guide for someone who wants to start off.

Sorry for spelling or any other odd mistakes. typing this all from a "smart" phone can be a interesting challenge at times. lol Cool

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
topelius

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

1) I have a few servers laying around I know they don't have a decent GPU due to onboard graphics but is running duel quad core Xeon processers  could they me used for mining?

1) No. Server computers are not good for mining, because lack of hi-end GPU:s

2) GPU mining is still profitable, if you already have high-end graphic cards. But I think that it's not good idea to invest GPU:s just now because of ASIC
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:25:58 AM

Could they? Yes. Should they? Hell, no. Don't even dream about CPU mining if you hope to make a profit.

Not unless you have extremely cheap electricity and/or an ASIC/FPGA.

3) kinda apon the last question. Due to this time of age of bitcoin is it worth spending the money and time investing in mining bitcoins?
Who knows. It is impossible to predict future difficulty or future prices, so what's profitable now might not be profitable in a few months (and vice versa). As with any investment, there are risks involved.

Kinda also come to think about It this is kinda a good boobies guide for someone who wants to start off.
I recommend Penthouse. You can't go wrong with the classics. Grin

...oh, wait, you mean a newbies guide. Try startbitcoin.com.

Sorry for spelling or any other odd mistakes. typing this all from a "smart" phone can be a interesting challenge at times. lol Cool
Indeed.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
demonmaestro (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:44:47 AM

hmm maybe i should prof read befor i hit post...

anyone really familure with the pci-x expansion slots and what cards they all accept?

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
LGV
Copper Member

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

I'm a SIM / eSIM tech guy now BUIDL'ng Solara.io

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 01:15:21 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 03:09:57 PM by LGV

I started mining on a Virtual Machine

Not good performance but mined a few coins

Tongue

LGV
Leon-Gerard Vandenberg, PEng MBA
LG@Solara.i
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 01:31:54 PM

hmm maybe i should prof read befor i hit post...

anyone really familure with the pci-x expansion slots and what cards they all accept?

Not an ATI Radeon HD 5xxx - 7xxx, which is the only GPU that makes sense to mine with.

You could also just buy 2 BTC and have it double in value before a GPU costing 2 BTC would earn you back your investment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: