Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:50:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i get APW3-12-1600 or other PSUs?  (Read 3230 times)
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 07:19:16 PM

If you're looking for another alternative, I offer IBM 2880W PSU's with breakout boards and cables, they are being used to power 2x S9's or S7's without any drama.  Plus, if you ever do develop PSU problems, the boards and cables are re-useable.  Shipping PSU's to you from North America would be very expensive, but if you can find a cheap supply of the IBM 2880's (model AA23920L) in your area, send me a PM and we can work out pricing on boards and cables.  I have supplied many mines and data centres with PSU's that are plug & play (unlike some server PSU's that require modification),  my customers have been very pleased with the product.

Good luck

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flameruk

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2016, 07:35:57 PM

Hi MiningRonnie.

Looks like the Server PSU's are expensive in your part of the world.
I just ordered two more for £19.00 the pair from eBay with free shipping!

If you get stuck I can see if I can source in the UK and ship over to you, just a thought.

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 03:10:40 AM

The APW3 vs other non-bitmain PSU debate is something I've been mulling over. As of right now i've got 4 APW3's working great, all are putting out 12.23~ volts. I've ordered a 2000 watt IBM blade center PSU ($30 refurb) and a breakout board kit with cables from holybitcoin. Costs me $60 less than ordering APW3 from china, I'll report back my findings once everything comes in  Grin
5h4do3

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 01:39:25 PM

Never had issues with bitmain's PSU.... running 408v 3 phase 220v single phase... all connections running stable on all miners... then again we do have power factor correction and stable voltage 24x7x365...
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 04:29:43 AM

I have not had any issue's with APW3's.  They are what Bitmain recommends with S7/S9.   I personally have followed this and not had any issues on the PSU side.  They have kept working for quite a while now on some as I sold S7's and kept the APW3's.    They can power even the batch 1 S9's which had the highest hashrate's.

There will always be market of server PSU's with breakout boards out there.  But until I have a problem I will keep using APW3's as far as S9's at this point.   I am not knocking some of kit's out there as I have not tested them.   So just making clear not knocking them just saying what has worked good for me.

At this point a lot of my ATX psu's I had laying around from previous gen miner's went to mining Ether.   I have had a decent variety of PSU's over the year's.  If you have the 205V+ it is the one I would go for.    If under the 205V then I would look at the EVGA Supernova 1600 you mention, as EVGA does have some great highend PSU's.
MineRonny (OP)

Activity: 32

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 03:49:46 PM

If you're looking for another alternative, I offer IBM 2880W PSU's with breakout boards and cables, they are being used to power 2x S9's or S7's without any drama.  Plus, if you ever do develop PSU problems, the boards and cables are re-useable.  Shipping PSU's to you from North America would be very expensive, but if you can find a cheap supply of the IBM 2880's (model AA23920L) in your area, send me a PM and we can work out pricing on boards and cables.  I have supplied many mines and data centres with PSU's that are plug & play (unlike some server PSU's that require modification),  my customers have been very pleased with the product.

Good luck

Hey Finksy, that looks like a very good alternative. Was actually looking at a 1600W PSU for 300USD, with 5 years local warranty. Hard decision for me. I'm actually leaning towards 5 years local warranty, due to the reason that i'm not sure whether PSUs breakdown easily, and their usual life span after being used. What do you think?

Hi MiningRonnie.

Looks like the Server PSU's are expensive in your part of the world.
I just ordered two more for £19.00 the pair from eBay with free shipping!

If you get stuck I can see if I can source in the UK and ship over to you, just a thought.

Hey buddy, thanks for the great offer! I'll actually consider that. What PSU are you actually talking about for 19pounds a pair?

The APW3 vs other non-bitmain PSU debate is something I've been mulling over. As of right now i've got 4 APW3's working great, all are putting out 12.23~ volts. I've ordered a 2000 watt IBM blade center PSU ($30 refurb) and a breakout board kit with cables from holybitcoin. Costs me $60 less than ordering APW3 from china, I'll report back my findings once everything comes in  Grin

Great! Will be waiting for your findings then. Which PSU to use is actually a big decision for me  Undecided

Never had issues with bitmain's PSU.... running 408v 3 phase 220v single phase... all connections running stable on all miners... then again we do have power factor correction and stable voltage 24x7x365...

Did a google search on power factor correction. Is that something that helps on saving electricity? Do you mind explaining how it works? Thank you!

I have not had any issue's with APW3's.  They are what Bitmain recommends with S7/S9.   I personally have followed this and not had any issues on the PSU side.  They have kept working for quite a while now on some as I sold S7's and kept the APW3's.    They can power even the batch 1 S9's which had the highest hashrate's.

There will always be market of server PSU's with breakout boards out there.  But until I have a problem I will keep using APW3's as far as S9's at this point.   I am not knocking some of kit's out there as I have not tested them.   So just making clear not knocking them just saying what has worked good for me.

At this point a lot of my ATX psu's I had laying around from previous gen miner's went to mining Ether.   I have had a decent variety of PSU's over the year's.  If you have the 205V+ it is the one I would go for.    If under the 205V then I would look at the EVGA Supernova 1600 you mention, as EVGA does have some great highend PSU's.

Thanks for your input. Can i ask how long have you been using those APW3s? The reason why im afraid to use APW3s is because i'm afraid that it would breakdown after the warranty expires.

I actually have 240V over here. I'm actually leaning towards APW3s now after hearing your input. Decisions...
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 05:25:30 PM

I've been using Bitmains PSU's for over 2 years now. Currently have 24 of them running s7's and s9's 24x7x365 with most in 85-90F ambient, zero problems. Frankly, I love them. Pure plug and play with miners.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
MineRonny (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 04:40:26 AM

I've been using Bitmains PSU's for over 2 years now. Currently have 24 of them running s7's and s9's 24x7x365 with most in 85-90F ambient, zero problems. Frankly, I love them. Pure plug and play with miners.

Sounds good. If i were to use other PSUs, isn't it plug and play too? Since there is no configuration for PSUs.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:01:24 AM

I have not had any issue's with APW3's.  They are what Bitmain recommends with S7/S9.   I personally have followed this and not had any issues on the PSU side.  They have kept working for quite a while now on some as I sold S7's and kept the APW3's.    They can power even the batch 1 S9's which had the highest hashrate's.

There will always be market of server PSU's with breakout boards out there.  But until I have a problem I will keep using APW3's as far as S9's at this point.   I am not knocking some of kit's out there as I have not tested them.   So just making clear not knocking them just saying what has worked good for me.

At this point a lot of my ATX psu's I had laying around from previous gen miner's went to mining Ether.   I have had a decent variety of PSU's over the year's.  If you have the 205V+ it is the one I would go for.    If under the 205V then I would look at the EVGA Supernova 1600 you mention, as EVGA does have some great highend PSU's.

Thanks for your input. Can i ask how long have you been using those APW3s? The reason why im afraid to use APW3s is because i'm afraid that it would breakdown after the warranty expires.

Since the launch of S7's, at that time I decided to use APW3's and so far I have not regretted it.   They should last long after warranty if you have the luck I have had.  A LOT of these psu's are out there and there are many user's.    Also I figure Bitmain themself use them in internal mining facilities.... I don't think they would use them if big problems.

So I don't think you will regret decision as long as you have 205V+ and use a proper power cord.  You do provide your own cord for the APW3's as there are so many different options depending on setup/pdu/etc.
MineRonny (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:08:47 AM

I see. If that's the case, i think i should be getting APW3. As for power cord, is there any difference for power cords? I always thought that power cords are all the same.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 12:49:01 PM

Sounds good. If i were to use other PSUs, isn't it plug and play too? Since there is no configuration for PSUs.
I was referring to the various server PSU setups where you need a PSU, breakout board and leads vs ready-to-run.
And yes I also have several of the IBM 2kw's and several HP-DP1200 PSU's using breakout boards. all work fine.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 12:52:41 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2016, 03:35:24 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

I see. If that's the case, i think i should be getting APW3. As for power cord, is there any difference for power cords? I always thought that power cords are all the same.
<facepalm>
The PSU end of the power cord is a standard IEC-13 connector. The wall end.... depends on what country you are in. There are a lot of flavors for the >200v plugs.

Finksy
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 07:41:35 PM

Hey Finksy, that looks like a very good alternative. Was actually looking at a 1600W PSU for 300USD, with 5 years local warranty. Hard decision for me. I'm actually leaning towards 5 years local warranty, due to the reason that i'm not sure whether PSUs breakdown easily, and their usual life span after being used. What do you think?

To be honest, there's good and there's good enough.  In my eyes, mining is still a business, so keeping costs in check is important.  Why pay $300 for a PSU when $120 for Bitmain's (or $85 in the case of my IBM 2880W PSU's) will do the same job adequately and reliably? The more you spend on PSU's, the less you are able to spend on miners, plain and simple. Anyone that tells you otherwise either has constraints limiting their choices (<200V AC input or require SATA/ATX plugs for motherboard), has made a hobby of it and wants to show off their bling, or are delusional. The only other factor to take into consideration is PSU efficiency, and if at your given electricity rate the extra cost for a more efficient PSU is worthwhile in the longrun.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 04:49:33 AM

<facepalm>
The PSU end of the power cord is a standard IEC-13 connector. The wall end.... depends on what country you are in. There are a lot of flavors for the >200v plugs.

The wall end also can depend a lot also worth mentioning a lot will change based on what PDU you use (assuming you use one).  Not all PDU's use the same connector going into them so it's worth looking at when buying a PDU.   I personally have PDUs between miners and wall in all 240 connection's I have.  

It is worth noting you can find some decent to great deals on PDU's on ebay from time to time.  I owe phil for one he told me about once.   But if your ever in market for PDU check ebay a lot as it tends to change on what is best deal.
MineRonny (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 05:00:11 AM

<facepalm>

Ahh.. i think i understand. Apologies for not being a technical guy  Sad

To be honest, there's good and there's good enough.  In my eyes, mining is still a business, so keeping costs in check is important.  Why pay $300 for a PSU when $120 for Bitmain's (or $85 in the case of my IBM 2880W PSU's) will do the same job adequately and reliably? The more you spend on PSU's, the less you are able to spend on miners, plain and simple. Anyone that tells you otherwise either has constraints limiting their choices (<200V AC input or require SATA/ATX plugs for motherboard), has made a hobby of it and wants to show off their bling, or are delusional. The only other factor to take into consideration is PSU efficiency, and if at your given electricity rate the extra cost for a more efficient PSU is worthwhile in the longrun.

True that. I guess i'll be going for bitmain's PSU. Thank you!

<facepalm>

The wall end also can depend a lot also worth mentioning a lot will change based on what PDU you use (assuming you use one).  Not all PDU's use the same connector going into them so it's worth looking at when buying a PDU.   I personally have PDUs between miners and wall in all 240 connection's I have.   

It is worth noting you can find some decent to great deals on PDU's on ebay from time to time.  I owe phil for one he told me about once.   But if your ever in market for PDU check ebay a lot as it tends to change on what is best deal.

Can i ask what benefits does PDU provides? Do we need them?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 05:11:53 AM

<facepalm>

The wall end also can depend a lot also worth mentioning a lot will change based on what PDU you use (assuming you use one).  Not all PDU's use the same connector going into them so it's worth looking at when buying a PDU.   I personally have PDUs between miners and wall in all 240 connection's I have.  

It is worth noting you can find some decent to great deals on PDU's on ebay from time to time.  I owe phil for one he told me about once.   But if your ever in market for PDU check ebay a lot as it tends to change on what is best deal.

Can i ask what benefits does PDU provides? Do we need them?

I will be honest some of your questions are a little scary to me.   Is this something your wiring yourself? Or is wiring already there if so take a picture of plug and we can say more.  

What a PDU does is allow you to run one cable with a lot of amp's to power multiple miner's.  This varies on your voltage and number of amps on which PDU is right for you if any, there are a lot of different options. But basically your PDU plug's into your power outlet and basically split's it where you can power multiple miner's from it (assuming power is there).   *Edit   Better description then mine I think is here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_distribution_unit
Finksy
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 02:50:13 AM

I will be honest some of your questions are a little scary to me.   Is this something your wiring yourself? Or is wiring already there if so take a picture of plug and we can say more.  

What a PDU does is allow you to run one cable with a lot of amp's to power multiple miner's.  This varies on your voltage and number of amps on which PDU is right for you if any, there are a lot of different options. But basically your PDU plug's into your power outlet and basically split's it where you can power multiple miner's from it (assuming power is there).   *Edit   Better description then mine I think is here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_distribution_unit

+1

PDU's essentially act as portable sub-panels by providing circuit protection to individual PSU's/miners, eliminating the amount of electrical circuits you need in total, and giving you flexibility in powering miners.  Also, if you are hiring an electrician (which I strongly suggest you do) you save considerably on labour and likely materials by running fewer, high amperage circuits to your mining area.

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 03:16:08 AM

to chime in quality  used pdus on eBay for 50 usd  are easy to find.

this is a 30 amp version  it should be able to run 4  apw3-12-1600 psus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-amp-8-outlet-PDU-With-Twist-lock-Plug-/251702276381?

so

fuse box with a 30amp 240 volt fuse>>>>>>>> 30 amp 240 volt wall socket that matches the pdu plug>>>>>>pdu>>>4 separate psu's

Hire someone that knows how to do this. This can kill you if you do a bad DIY!!!

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 12:42:08 PM

+1

PDU's matter for those who wish to run more than one or two high powered miners. Once you decide to run more than one or two S7\S9's you really need to think about how to run power to the devices safely and efficiently while also taking into consideration the number of slots open on your electrical panel.

Initially i started off with a NEMA 6-20R Leviton 5824 20 Amp, 250 Volt, duplex receptacle which allowed me to power two S7\S9 off of one circuit. In my electrical sub-panel, i have a total of three (dipole) spaces. If i used a single duplex receptacle per circuit i could only hook up a total of 6 miners (2 per circuit).

However, by using a different receptacle and adding a PDU i was able to connect four miners per circuit giving myself 12 total connections on the same space in the panel. I ended up settling on using a NEMA L6-30P Leviton 2620 30 Amp receptacle since it is a fairly common connection for PDUs. I also went with a Tripp Lite PDUH30HV19, was a little more expensive, but it fit the bill.

...As mentioned previously, none of this really matters unless you're trying to plan for running several of these high powered machines...
MineRonny (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 12:59:29 PM

I do understand that PDUs distributes power. But i suppose that we're good to go, since we installed 1 plug point for each miners. Isn't that so?

Why would we need PDUs, since we can just install one plug point per miner? Is there something im missing out?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: