Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:57:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: dumb question - I can't get an answer from either Apple or Google  (Read 2802 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 12:04:30 AM

The TOS of both Apple's App Store and Google's Play both say that if I collect revenue from an app,  I have to use Google or Apples in App Purchase System.  Which I have zero problem doing,  however I don't want USD,  I want bitcoins.  Apple nor Google accept Bitcoins as payment.

Would I be violating their rules if I took Bitcoins though the app?

I am just wondering.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:09:03 AM

While I do not know anything about it, I am sure that Apple/Google will find a way to make anything like that illegal.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:41:23 AM

I can't speak for the Google Play Store, but I'm an iOS developer and I can guarantee you won't get an app that takes Bitcoins into the app store.  Apple made blockchain.info remove their wallet feature, and they will not let you take payment in any form except through the Apple authorized methods.

So sorry man, you're out of luck when it comes to the iOS app store.
Woodcock36

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:43:35 AM

I can't speak for the Google Play Store, but I'm an iOS developer and I can guarantee you won't get an app that takes Bitcoins into the app store.  Apple made blockchain.info remove their wallet feature, and they will not let you take payment in any form except through the Apple authorized methods.

False. The blockchain.info iphone wallet is still working. I have it on my 5

Tip me for glory!: 1FKppwEjrenyhNXC9AHobgtuCcBTSLdnzY
MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:44:55 AM

I believe you're not allowed to circumvent their payment systems.
However, there's nothing stopping you from putting ads in your app, and several services that give bitcoin for ads exist.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:59:43 AM

Can you app programmers make a Satoshidice bot? So I can play on my cell phone. hahahahahahaa. ... ... ... (with optional martinegale "lose all your money" auto pilot mode)

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:02:02 AM

Can you app programmers make a Satoshidice bot? So I can play on my cell phone. hahahahahahaa. ... ... ... (with optional martinegale "lose all your money" auto pilot mode)
please... no. don't spam the blockchain.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:31:33 AM

The TOS of both Apple's App Store and Google's Play both say that if I collect revenue from an app,  I have to use Google or Apples in App Purchase System.  Which I have zero problem doing,  however I don't want USD,  I want bitcoins.  Apple nor Google accept Bitcoins as payment.

I am just wondering.

Haha - just do it - but don't make the bitcoin stuff visible until the app has been running for say a week on the users phone, that way the verifier that will accept your app, won't stop it at the first roadblock. Then just wait.... till someone finds out and you get booted off from selling any apps. But the collections of bitcoins, they can't take. Haha. And I doubt they will do legal action against you, they'll just boot you off. Let us know how it goes. It most certainly is against their TOS, all things trying to avoid TOS at a site will be punished if discovered.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 02:53:37 AM

Shhhhhh.

No, really it is against the rules.

Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:19:09 AM

Very shortsighted of Apple to cling to a dieing system like this.

I'm curious though the potential of developing apps specifically targeted to the Jailbreak market?

Anyone have experience here?

Is it viable?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 03:20:46 AM

I'm curious though the potential of developing apps specifically targeted to the Jailbreak market?

Is it viable?

The jailbreak market is less then 5% and those people are not all set up for payments like most iTunes accounts are.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:20:58 AM

Is it viable?
your target audience is definitely smaller, but you have all the freedom you want. you can always make a "approved" version for appstore, and a fully functional version for cydia.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:23:31 AM

Apps are not pro-actively reviewed on the Play Store and the Bitcoin Wallet app actually lets you tip the author directly from inside it. The main reason for the rule is consistency - it makes Android feel slicker and more integrated if you don't have to constantly sign up for 20 different payment systems that are all basically the same but different.

The best thing to do is just try it. If somehow your app gets taken down for not using the in-app payments system, and if I'm still working at Google, I'll go to bat for you. I doubt Bitcoin-accepting apps are going to fragment the marketplace any time soon.
cho

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

Boar with me

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:10:18 AM

Wouldn't it be possible to argue (lawyer to lawyer) that sending bitcoins to the app editor cannot be considered as a "payment", since it does not involve "money" ?

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:19:45 PM

Yeah, and I bet your 5 is jailbroken too.  Try it on an unjailbroken phone.  The wallet functionality has been completely gutted.  Thus, my point still stands, that Apple will not allow this in their app store.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:35:03 PM

Wouldn't it be possible to argue (lawyer to lawyer) that sending bitcoins to the app editor cannot be considered as a "payment", since it does not involve "money" ?
Apple or Google TOS aren't the law, they can change them and do what they want

Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:18:51 PM

Apple or Google TOS aren't the law, they can change them and do what they want

In fact, Apple og Google wouldn't even need a TOS - they can do whatever the fuck they want - and nobody can do anything - the only thing you could do would be to challenge them in court - but what little dev would have the time or resources to do that ?
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 10:02:27 PM

Well for an update...  both Google nor Apple replied.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:23:01 PM

Apps are not pro-actively reviewed on the Play Store and the Bitcoin Wallet app actually lets you tip the author directly from inside it. The main reason for the rule is consistency - it makes Android feel slicker and more integrated if you don't have to constantly sign up for 20 different payment systems that are all basically the same but different.

The best thing to do is just try it. If somehow your app gets taken down for not using the in-app payments system, and if I'm still working at Google, I'll go to bat for you. I doubt Bitcoin-accepting apps are going to fragment the marketplace any time soon.

Mike, this is good to hear.  I've been holding back on doing a Bitcoin-accepting app for Android simply because I thought it had little chance to get it on Play.  I may go forward now, with the understanding that it's still a risky undertaking but that there's at least a fighting chance.

4096R/F5EA0017
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:27:42 PM

There's been a wallet app on the Play Store for years and I did check with a lawyer at one point, they weren't worried. That's no guarantee it'll be OK forever mind you, but like I said, if there's a takedown I'll do my best to fight for it internally. Ultimately though I don't make these rules, and all I can do is advocate.

Android is still OK though because even if you can't get in the Play Store, you can still just distribute your app the old fashioned way from your website.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: