Bitcoin Forum
November 22, 2017, 04:35:26 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is WAY too confusing for the average person  (Read 2807 times)
dobatron81

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:24:40 AM

Agree, if your parents cannot use it, it's too complicated.

So, since my parents are able to use bitcoin, this means is isn't too complicated, right?

My Mom was trying to throw USD at me today to get a buy in on MtGox.  I still have 0 oh wait .0009 NMC=0 lol.  I guess we both are up the BTC creek lol.

Ps my spamming question is

I just set up my new eBayed Mac Pro and put in a 5770 and have Bitminter running @149ish Mh/s.  My question is should I put the old Radeon 1xxx back in slot 2 even though bitMinter wouldn't recognize it?  I've been trying to run DiabloMiner on osX.7.4 to no avail.  Any thoughts would be swell.   PS I just drank the BFL 30Gh/s juice and don't care tee hee.

wasn't there an old saying about a shave and a haircut? that's like 150USD lol 3-2013

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now A blockchain platform for effective freelancing
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TeeBone

Activity: 457

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:26:32 AM

Besides all the problems pointed out in this thread i think general terminology can be quite confusing...ex: just in this thread ive seen 3 ways of using account/publickeys/address. These all mean the same thing, right ? how about more standardized lingo...
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 10:37:09 AM

Since bitcoin.org was made to suck more, I made my site suck less. Please review the sections on "Bitcoin addresses" and "The Wallet" to see if that clarifies some of the terms.

http://we.lovebitco.in/

hermann1983

Activity: 120

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:56:21 AM

Bitcoin is very dangerous for average person. So many computers are compromised and there is no protection once the coins are transfered. So better for average person stick with fiat and enjoy protection.
bubblesort

Activity: 84

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 11:30:54 AM

Bitcoin is very dangerous for average person. So many computers are compromised and there is no protection once the coins are transfered. So better for average person stick with fiat and enjoy protection.

Really?  Traditional currencies never get stolen?

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 12:26:44 PM

I'm not saying there aren't going to be more user-friendly applications someday, but as of now it's just way too confusing. It's even confusing to me and I've spent all day reading about Bitcoin and have slightly higher computer knowledge than most people.

Please look at these statements of mine, THANK YOU!

I've been literally reading ALL DAY and I can't wrap my stupid head around Multi-Bit and how it works. Can someone PLEASE break down these following questions for me?

1. What the heck is a difference between a wallet and a private key in Multi-bit? Is the wallet essentially an unlocked version of the key? (since everytime I start up Multi-bit the wallet just opens)

2. I heard the private key is a code which essentially can get you access to your bitcoins...your bitcoins are stored in that code, right? How do I find that code in the event that the "Wallet.key" file is corrupted? Then, in the case that that .key file is corrupted, what do I do with that long code to get back access to my coins?

Thank you for taking the time to read, and believe me I really have put effort into understanding.

I think we're having the first "victim" of the new bitcoin.org site which promotes the MultiBit client in first place.

oops, just checked again, it doesn't anymore, alright then

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 1988

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:45:10 PM

- snip -
ive seen 3 ways of using account/publickeys/address. These all mean the same thing, right ?
- snip -

No.

Bitcoin doesn't have "accounts".

Some service providers (such as MtGox or Coinbase) may provide you with an account where (like a bank account) you turn over control of your bitcoin to them and call on them to send it when you desire.  In this case they may provide you with one of their bitcoin addresses that you can use to send bitcoins to the account you have with them.

A bitcoin public key is not the same thing as a bitcoin address.

A bitcoin address is created from a public key through a process that includes 2 hashing algorithms and a 32-bit checksum.

If you know the public key, you can calculate the bitcoin address, but if all you have is the bitcoin address, then it is impossible to calculate the public key.

The checksum that is built into the bitcoin address prevents you from accidentally sending bitcoins to the wrong person if you make a typo while entering it.

- snip -
how about more standardized lingo...

The lingo is rather standardized already.  You ust happen to be unfamiliar with the standardized lingo.

jacobpark

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:08:45 PM

Luckily 50% of the population is smarter than the average person.  Wink

Grin
S M I L Y

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:26:51 PM

I dont know how everything in my car works yet I can drive it and its useful.
I dont know how email servers functions yet I send email often.
I dont know how this forum functions yet I can use it easily.

(actually I do know most of these things as I am a server admin and work on my own cars but you get the point)

- S M I L Y

Noob post #3!

-  S M I L Y  <-  Not a lawyer and this is not legal advice!
Donations always appreciated.  BTC->     1LdGtmRodoVtDTfLrzEYxPQU3DzYtaYMeJ
barfly52

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:34:40 PM

I cannot disagree. However, I do wish I had looked at this forum (and at the very simple "fast start" instructions on bitcoin.com) before I pushed ahead and bought bitcoins for cash on one site and then for SLL on another!

I have spent a lot of time on this this week--just so I could fund an account on SWC and play poker--and I am still in an unknown (to me) waiting period waiting for my first transactions to process. And now SWC is down!!!

I have annoyed operators of at least 3 sites trying to clarify the process--and to get some idea of when my transactions should clear--and about all I have learned as that I have to wait 48 hours for one site, 4 days for another, and who knows how long for the third before 1) my cash purchase will be verified (they did relieve my bank account of the necessary funds, thanks) and 2) my poker account will receive the bitcoins I asked be sent to them (though that bitcoin wallet has been debited for the bicoins I sent, thanks).

Participants in this universe need to take some huge steps towards securing the trust of new users or bitcoins will never thrive. There are just too many reasons for sensible people to say "no"--if they rely on careless fools like me the empire will never go over the top!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.