Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL news?  (Read 4104 times)
wormbog (OP)

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:32:52 PM

Has there been any news out of BFL over the last week? I can't seem to find anything. You'd think they would have a development status blog or something.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 01:33:52 PM

Has there been any news out of BFL over the last week? I can't seem to find anything. You'd think they would have a development status blog or something.

https://twitter.com/BFL_News

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:46:21 PM

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/luke-jr/105-chips-finally-here.html  Tongue
Red_Evil

Activity: 1484

Across The Universe

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:49:31 PM

Not an Official Word ?

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:28:37 PM

They are pretty much in a hold pattern til mid-next week supposedly when the test rig debacle will hopefully get sorted out.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:09:03 PM

They are pretty much in a hold pattern til mid-next week supposedly when the test rig debacle will hopefully get sorted out.

All those boxes of fans and only 1 test rig...
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:08:25 PM

All those boxes of fans and only 1 test rig...

If you'r highly optimistic about your skills then you don't make any backup plans because what-could-possibly-go-wrong and cause an unexpected delay  Grin

It has worked really well so far...  Roll Eyes
wormbog (OP)

Activity: 561

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:32:47 PM

Well, at least Josh has stopped posting comically unrealistic schedules.

The question for me is: what will the difficulty be when people actually have BFL rigs in their hands? I'm guessing 10M+

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:34:06 PM

Its always something with these guys

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:38:47 PM

I don't understand why their problems with the "test rig" are blocking the entire project.

Why can't they have the assembly house put a few chips onto boards and test them that way?  Make up a Jalapeno board to test a single chip at a time.

Sure, they want to test all of the chips and bin them before placing them onto boards, but they should still be able to make progress in parallel by just slapping some on boards blindly and testing them that way...no?

They made such a big deal about "investing heavily in high speed production equipment" with their reflow oven purchase.  Time to put that investment to work?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Frankie Delaney

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:47:59 PM

I don't understand why their problems with the "test rig" are blocking the entire project.

Why can't they have the assembly house put a few chips onto boards and test them that way?  Make up a Jalapeno board to test a single chip at a time.

Sure, they want to test all of the chips and bin them before placing them onto boards, but they should still be able to make progress in parallel by just slapping some on boards blindly and testing them that way...no?

They made such a big deal about "investing heavily in high speed production equipment" with their reflow oven purchase.  Time to put that investment to work?

Considering they scrapped 1000 chips to do minor testing, you'd think they could risk scrapping another 80 to put 10 boards together, and get working on a firmware or something because you know that is going to be their next delay. "the boards are all assembled, but the firmware is unstable, ask again in 2 weeks"
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:14:21 PM

Because "the pcbs are completely finished" was another lie.

Buy & Hold
Miner99er

Activity: 310

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:52:44 PM

Well, at least Josh has stopped posting comically unrealistic schedules.

The question for me is: what will the difficulty be when people actually have BFL rigs in their hands? I'm guessing 10M+

Just checked, 10M at this price keeps my GPU farm profitable. I'm good.

Bought From Yochdogx2, Alexmat, SgtSpike, David_Benz, Beaflag VonRathburg, Slaveindebt, Cptmooseinc, Coinhoarder

Donations? SURE! 16foPr8FAjYXKL8ApQAzihnigXm1qNhi8Q

http://pyramining.com/referral/yfab9med7   
http://pyramining.com/referral/ahmc7en6z
http://pyramining.com/referral/pagndq4xc   
http://pyramining.com/referral/79b2gmrzx
http://pyramining.com/referral/e2ghz4asy
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:54:24 PM

http://www.rushpcb.com/index.aspx

Lol they could do that

poon-TANG

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:48:16 PM

"I would probably have to commit seppeku if we were delayed until April."

Does anyone remember this post from Josh on 01-04-2013 ?  I bet he regrets making that statment.
Red_Evil

Activity: 1484

Across The Universe

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:11:15 PM

"I would probably have to commit seppeku if we were delayed until April."

Does anyone remember this post from Josh on 01-04-2013 ?  I bet he regrets making that statment.

Source plz
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:14:55 PM

BFL_Josh 2 days ago.

I have no idea where this ludicrous "ground plane issue" rumor got started, but whoever started it is out of touch with any sense of reality. There is no ground plane issue on the PCBs. The hold up right now is the test rig and debugging it... since that is what we are doing at the moment, there's nothing new to update. Once the test rig issue is resolved, we will resume the process going forward. I am loathe to detail the process at this point, it is just fuel for the trolls who like to pick apart every word type and analyze it for conspiracy theories. I will update when I have an update that's worth posting. Smaller updates I will post in the chat, and thanks to the magic of the grrnbrg they will make it to twitter. At this time, I wholeheartedly endorse grrnbrgs unofficial twitter feed.

Just as an unrelated side note, it would take approximately 24 hours to get new PCB's made if we had to redesign them for some reason. Depending on whatever would need to be done to the PCBs, the actual design work would take two or three days typically, unless it was a complete redesign and there would be basically no reason in the world to do that at this point. I don't know why anyone would think 4 - 6 weeks for a PCB redesign, that's just crazy. We have gone through many, many board redesigns since this process started, I've only pictured two or three of the 6 or 7 revisions we've had throughout the process. Basically, we could have a redesigned board ready to go by the time the chips arrived at the facility, that has never been a sticking point.

I haven't been posting much because I am very busy with other issues related to getting these chips out and making sure everything is ready once they arrive here in KC. I will make time to sit down and go through some of the threads here as soon as I can, but right now I am focusing on all the details for shipping. The daily DDoS doesn't help, but I've mostly gotten that automated at this point, so it's no longer that big of a concern or time suck thankfully.

I stand corrected, with the new 10 layer PCBs it takes 48 hours to make a new board from scratch. But I digress... as I said in the shoutbox, we think we've found the problem with the test rig and the ASIC team has managed to get the chips spinning with some hand modifications to the test rig and some of the engines were even running at 500 MHz. They are going to finish diagnosing and then get new hardware for the test rig, so we should have something demonstrable by early to mid next week. Should be pretty smooth sailing after that.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:20:42 PM

Should be pretty smooth sailing after that.
[/quote]

LOL. Its almost 6 after their promised shipping date; testing is yet to really begin, but as always, Josh can see nothing go wrong.
Well I can.
Bowjob

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:23:58 PM

Here you go guys, took me a while since Josh can't properly spell.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/632-getting-ready-april.html

Cheers.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Evan

Activity: 507

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2013, 02:22:22 AM by Evan

I am jumping ship at this point its getting stupid, I will live off what I have

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
Pages: [1] 2 »  All