Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:25:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: remove steemit links  (Read 2201 times)
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 05:36:47 PM

In my recent trolling constructive participation in the ETH/ETC forkage I encountered many posts like these:

Things are really getting interesting - ETC is just as legitimate as ETH - ultimately the market will decide:

Ether Wars - Ethereum Classic Price and Volume reach ATH:
https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@thecryptofiend/ether-wars-ethereum-classic-price-and-volume-reach-ath

and this user has posted quite a few of these links:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=239941;sa=showPosts

Seemingly on topic but linking to largely vapid regurgitation of content from other sources such as reddit. I have a feeling that these links are just fishing for tips on the get-paid-to-post Steem platform, which among other things has traits of an altcoin scam.

Random other Steem link spammers from other parts of Bitcointalk:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=193791;sa=showPosts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=876627;sa=showPosts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=878682;sa=showPosts

Some are openly whoring for upvotes.

This is becoming similar to sig campaign spam except it drives traffic out of Bitcointalk and doesn't benefit anyone here. I suggest to make the links unclickable with the "[Suspicious link removed]" tag like it's being done with some other garbage links. If the content is relevant the posters would still be able to quote the text, link to original source (reddit, news articles), share it on pastebin, start their own threads etc.

Barring that - at least maybe we could get some input from the moderation staff whether this is tolerated or should be reported.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 05:38:03 PM

+1, without having read anything besides the title.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 05:40:40 PM

+1, without having read anything besides the title.

Arghhh, wasted half an hour on that post.

Here is another way to look at steemit links - these are essentially hidden ref links, which AFAIK are not tolerated here.
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 05:44:59 PM

Here is another way to look at steemit links - these are essentially hidden ref links, which AFAIK are not tolerated here.
I report stuff like that with "Indirect ref spam." as Comment.
Didn't report many steem links, but might start with it.
An answer from staff whether or not it's worth reporting them previously would be appreciated though.

I've read the post now Wink

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
BitBanksy

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 09:19:14 PM

Totally agree! These useless links are becoming annoying...
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 10:28:44 PM

I don't have a clue how steemit works. do they get paid if any random person looks at a link or does the reader have to be signed in to steemit as well?

either way it's cheesy and blatant.
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2016, 10:46:09 PM

I don't have a clue how steemit works. do they get paid if any random person looks at a link or does the reader have to be signed in to steemit as well?

My understanding is that the "authors" get paid for "upvotes", so yes, the users have to be signed in and click some button or something. New users get some free upvotes but apparently the idea is that eventually they'll need to pay (once the premine runs out?). The whole business model seems backwards - get paid to spam, and pay to read? That leads to this (I'm not responsible for potential eye damage):

https://steemit.com/ethereum-classic/@rolik/ethereum-classic-wtf

Ethereum Classic WTF

3 hours ago by rolik in ethereum-classic

Hello! My name is Roma and now i want to speak with about Ethereum Classic.

What Ethereum classic Huh When it is not added poloniex I thought that this is a bug but to my surprise there was no limit when it was apparent that at 4:00 he made 12 000 btc volume per day. I started to read what it is and it is ethereum on old blockchain to hardfork. I have only one question WHY?? if erhereum community decided we should all go jump is not necessary to arrange a circus if it decided to steal at least ethereum real name. After adeed poloniex on a day of classic 60K Satoshi Satoshi get up to 500K while 150K was volume btts. Basically this is a bad idea as for me and I for what would be a classic disappeared.

Mining of this clone is generally a separate topic. In normal ethereum my video card issues 12-13 mehahesh without overclocking and this shit just 3-4 Mh/s, I'm in shock as it really is when the same broadcast.

My opinion is that we must abolish the Classic and maintains that hackers dudos their pool http://www.livebitcoinnews.com/ethereum-classic-attack-pool-under-ddos-attacks/.
Now it will be very interesting because the clone still has nine claims against the devas in my ester are dirty rats stealing idea where they were when the eth was not popular ?? one word bitch. Now appeared a warning message in their official topic about ddos if you dont agree with my thoughts please write comments down.

P.S dont forget like my post

Edit: BTW authors can vote for themselves.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 04:45:38 AM

My understanding is that the "authors" get paid for "upvotes", so yes, the users have to be signed in and click some button or something. New users get some free upvotes but apparently the idea is that eventually they'll need to pay (once the premine runs out?). The whole business model seems backwards - get paid to spam, and pay to read? That leads to this (I'm not responsible for potential eye damage):

https://steemit.com/ethereum-classic/@rolik/ethereum-classic-wtf

Ethereum Classic WTF

3 hours ago by rolik in ethereum-classic

Hello! My name is Roma and now i want to speak with about Ethereum Classic.

What Ethereum classic Huh When it is not added poloniex I thought that this is a bug but to my surprise there was no limit when it was apparent that at 4:00 he made 12 000 btc volume per day. I started to read what it is and it is ethereum on old blockchain to hardfork. I have only one question WHY?? if erhereum community decided we should all go jump is not necessary to arrange a circus if it decided to steal at least ethereum real name. After adeed poloniex on a day of classic 60K Satoshi Satoshi get up to 500K while 150K was volume btts. Basically this is a bad idea as for me and I for what would be a classic disappeared.

Mining of this clone is generally a separate topic. In normal ethereum my video card issues 12-13 mehahesh without overclocking and this shit just 3-4 Mh/s, I'm in shock as it really is when the same broadcast.

My opinion is that we must abolish the Classic and maintains that hackers dudos their pool http://www.livebitcoinnews.com/ethereum-classic-attack-pool-under-ddos-attacks/.
Now it will be very interesting because the clone still has nine claims against the devas in my ester are dirty rats stealing idea where they were when the eth was not popular ?? one word bitch. Now appeared a warning message in their official topic about ddos if you dont agree with my thoughts please write comments down.

P.S dont forget like my post

Edit: BTW authors can vote for themselves.

Onlookers who know you as a craptsy mole/shill and/or insider will also vote. Smiley

Are there any other muddafudda/ cresty/ firerabbit shitclones you would like to support ?

electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1051

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 05:12:35 AM

as far as I know yes. users gets paid thru the votes. its a win-win for steem supporters as they get to spam, spread the word and earn at the same time. This may force user to join the mess seeing how they can take advantage of this opportunity.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 08:02:30 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2016, 08:26:52 AM by Lauda

Barring that - at least maybe we could get some input from the moderation staff whether this is tolerated or should be reported.
There's no specific 'decision/rule' regarding that website at the moment (I haven't even noticed it so far), however, I'd say that it falls under advertisement spam (rule 24). I've also notified theymos and a global moderator right now regarding the matter. Personally, I support the removal of these links (when abused, not in general) and would advise that punishments be handed out to the users that have already abused it. I'll update this post with some information if neither provide direct input.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 08:35:59 AM

It seems to me that steem is a classic scamcoin, and steemit is being astroturfed like crazy. However, if a steemit link contains substantial, on-topic content, then the shadyness of steem/steemit doesn't warrant removing the link.

But if people are posting low-content steemit links in low-content posts, or posting steemit links constantly, then this should be reported. (Note that we might give a little extra leeway for steemit posts in the steem/steemit threads.)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 04:49:00 AM

Thanks guys. I'll keep reporting the most blatant ones then.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:44:18 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2016, 11:07:40 AM by smooth

My understanding is that the "authors" get paid for "upvotes", so yes, the users have to be signed in and click some button or something. New users get some free upvotes but apparently the idea is that eventually they'll need to pay (once the premine runs out?).

Nobody ever has to pay, at least not for many years when the business model could change. The upvotes don't "run out" (they do recharge if depleted by overuse over five days, at no cost).

Steemit is a blogging and discussion platform. The there are certainly low quality links to crap, and those should be evaluated on substance (or lack thereof), but most of the links are just links to people's biog posts or discussion, the same as medium, reddit, etc.

andulolika
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:08:08 AM

It seems to me that steem is a classic scamcoin, and steemit is being astroturfed like crazy. However, if a steemit link contains substantial, on-topic content, then the shadyness of steem/steemit doesn't warrant removing the link.

But if people are posting low-content steemit links in low-content posts, or posting steemit links constantly, then this should be reported. (Note that we might give a little extra leeway for steemit posts in the steem/steemit threads.)
You just butthurt, I'm not saying steemit is perfect and we all have our doubts, but atleast you won't censor anybody, seems funny that "scams are not moderated" but if something smells a bit fishy and affects your site directly it is a problem.

🔥 🔥 🔥  Satochip - Secure the future  🔥 🔥 🔥
⭐️ Hardware wallet on a smartcard | Affordable and easy to use | Open source and community driven | BTC, LTC, BCH (SLP tokens), ETH (ERC-20 tokens)... ⭐️
──WebsiteShop  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Github──
fortaleza

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:53:44 AM

It seems to me that steem is a classic scamcoin...

...the shadyness of steem/steemit...

Sir, it seems to me that calling something a scam without supplying any evidence to back your words, is the actual scam.
You are implying dishonest intentions of other people while being quite ignorant.
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 12:32:46 PM

My understanding is that the "authors" get paid for "upvotes", so yes, the users have to be signed in and click some button or something. New users get some free upvotes but apparently the idea is that eventually they'll need to pay (once the premine runs out?).

Nobody ever has to pay, at least not for many years when the business model could change. The upvotes don't "run out" (they do recharge if depleted by overuse over five days, at no cost).

Steemit is a blogging and discussion platform. The there are certainly low quality links to crap, and those should be evaluated on substance (or lack thereof), but most of the links are just links to people's biog posts or discussion, the same as medium, reddit, etc.

So the money is produced out of thin air? This is so much better then, especially with the self-voting: https://steemit.com/money/@ubg/welcome-to-my-money-farm

As for quality - the garbage is what brought my attention to it, I didn't know anything about steem until I started seeing links to their "articles". I don't think I've seen anybody spamming their @medium links like that, or random noobs begging for upvotes on their reddit posts. Must have something to do with the financial incentive.

Sir, it seems to me that calling something a scam without supplying any evidence to back your words, is the actual scam.
You are implying dishonest intentions of other people while being quite ignorant.

Wasn't it promoted as "no premine" but the developers somehow ended up owning most of the coin supply?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 12:35:12 PM

So the money is produced out of thin air?

It's basically mining. (Yes you can "mine" a little by self-voting but it is much less efficient than if others vote for you.)

or random noobs begging for upvotes on their reddit posts. Must have something to do with the financial incentive.

People begging for upvotes is spammish and should be treated as such. That's not at all the same thing as posting a link to an article.

Wasn't it promoted as "no premine" but the developers somehow ended up owning most of the coin supply?

You can go read the thread yourself. They told everyone right up front they were going to mine it very aggressively in order to try to obtain 80% of the initial supply (there is no fixed supply; it inflationary) and then use those coins according to a specific business plan. Literally speaking there was no premine, as anyone else could start mining the same time they did. There was even a relaunch with 24 hours notice or something, giving everyone a second chance to starting mining at the same time they did. (Personally I thought it was scammy for them to promote it as "no premine" under the circumstances of their efforts to obtain most of the supply, but as I said, literally that was and is accurate.)

That's kind of irrelevant to whether people linking to blog posts or discussions should be banned.
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 01:17:52 PM

That's kind of irrelevant to whether people linking to blog posts or discussions should be banned.

Nowhere did I suggest that people should be banned. I suggested to make links unclickable or at least moderate them as any other ref links, given that the author has a direct financial incentive to get people to visit his/her blog and sign up for the website.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 01:49:11 PM

Nowhere did I suggest that people should be banned. I suggested to make links unclickable or at least moderate them as any other ref links, given that the author has a direct financial incentive to get people to visit his/her blog and sign up for the website.

Poor phrasing on my part. I didn't mean to suggest there was a call for banning the people, only the practice of linking.

I don't see a good reason to make links unclickable unless they have a high risk of leading to malware. This doesn't qualify.

Unless it is an actual steemit ref link (?r=referrer) the linker derives no direct financial benefit if someone clicks through and then signs up. If someone clicks through, signs up, goes back to the very same page, and then upvotes the post, well author of the blog post might make a penny (or quite possibly literally zero), since new signups have negligible voting power.

These links are not an attempt to gain a direct financial benefit, or if they are the person doing it is clueless about how the system actually works.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 12:13:58 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2016, 09:18:18 PM by ajareselde

Bumping this to the top +;

It's imperative that steemit links (posts) be removed from the forum if they don't offer any notable content other than the steemit outside link.

Some examples here:

New service- Post anonymous and author keeps 100% SteemDollars.

https://steemit.com/steemitanon/@pjheinz/post-anonymous-and-author-keeps-100-steemdollars

While there are some posts with steemit links that don't just point to steemit articles, there is a bunch of them that only is used for spam, and begging for likes/upvotes.

EDIT:

As you can clearly see, thread contains no valid data, and only serves to leech traffic from forum to steemit, +backlinks
This is bad for the forum, and it would be better to regulate these cases/topic now, rather than later (when it spreads even more throughout, and people start taking it for granted)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: