Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:00:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restored Wallet.dat No Balance  (Read 2774 times)
BitQuestr (BitCoinWorldMarket) (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:27:54 AM

So I had just transferred all my bitcoin out of MtGox and I wanted to back up my wallet.dat

I mistakenly moved instead of copied the wallet.dat file while the bitcoin client was running. I then made several backups of the file, deleted the old bitcoin software 0.3.21 (mac), reinstalled and overwrote the wallet.dat file with the backup.

It shows all my transactions and everything in the address book but my transactions are all 0/unconfirmed and my balance is still at 0.00

The blocks are all scanned, do I just need to wait a few more hours for the network to confirm the transactions and the balance will be restored or did I do some damage to the file when i moved it while the client was running?

Thanks for any help.

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:37:33 AM

Err. Yeah I think you might have. If you have an older wallet file try that.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
NielDLR

Activity: 95

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 09:45:15 AM

So I had just transferred all my bitcoin out of MtGox and I wanted to back up my wallet.dat

I mistakenly moved instead of copied the wallet.dat file while the bitcoin client was running. I then made several backups of the file, deleted the old bitcoin software 0.3.21 (mac), reinstalled and overwrote the wallet.dat file with the backup.

It shows all my transactions and everything in the address book but my transactions are all 0/unconfirmed and my balance is still at 0.00

The blocks are all scanned, do I just need to wait a few more hours for the network to confirm the transactions and the balance will be restored or did I do some damage to the file when i moved it while the client was running?

Thanks for any help.

I've seen some other forum members suggesting running bitcoin.exe with -rescan. So "bitcoin.exe -rescan" which rescans the blocks. This usually solves the problem. Do at own risk though. Smiley Backup backup backup and then some more backup!

The Cypherfunks - A decentralized band and cryptocurrency. The first cryptocollective.

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:46:56 AM

I don't have an older copy.
I am running a mac so i don't have an exe file
How do i run a -rescan on a mac version?

Any other ideas?

If my transaction data is there shouldn't I still be able to recover it?

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:49:20 AM

Any other ideas?

open  terminal(or the some thing like that)
cd the directory with bitcoin in it.
run bitcoin -rescan.
wait.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:52:43 AM

Any other ideas?

get to 50 posts (will take a while) then you can talk to someone with knowledge.

You don't need todo -rescan. It's been
implemented automatically into the newer clients.
Just wait for the entire blockchain to finish downloading,
if you don't have any (or very little) connections try adding some Fallback Nodes.

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:58:59 AM

So i actually did find a wallet.dat file in my auto backups god bless time machine.

I checked my drop box and the timestamp is before i moved the file but after the the money showed up in my wallet. I am 90% sure i have an uncorrupted wallet.dat that has my transactions as well as was not moved before it got backed up.

I restored the file again just by copying it back in and the same thing is apparent. I have all the transactions and addresses listed.

As I am typing this one of my transactions is coming in confirmed as more blocks are being scanned. Hopefully the next ones will come as well.

Seriously, that seems like such a simple error to almost lose all of my money over. Move a file out of the client and all of my money gone.

I am so lucky my auto backup had the file.

The client really needs an auto backup in it. Bitcoin will not gain any acceptance by the general public if it is so easy to lose all of your bitcoin.

Here is crossing my fingers that my final transaction of all my BTC being deposited gets confirmed.

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:22:14 AM

Just to report in the balance was restored.

4 backups later and a hell of a lot wiser I realize how fragile my wallet is and the need for good backups is apparent.

I am very computer literate but I have to admit the process to do backups and then learn to use trucrypt was quite the undertaking.

I think it should be emphasized even more that the bitcoin client needs to be shutdown completely before backing up. I can see someone not realizing it is still running in their task bar and having problems.

Perhaps in my earlier attempts not al of the blocks had downloaded and I would have received the balance regardless and this is actually not as big of an issue as I thought.

I think the next step is making a how to video on backups for the average joe. One for just securing from loss, and then a second for securing from theft.

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:28:50 AM

Just to report in the balance was restored.

4 backups later and a hell of a lot wiser I realize how fragile my wallet is and the need for good backups is apparent.

I am very computer literate but I have to admit the process to do backups and then learn to use trucrypt was quite the undertaking.

I think it should be emphasized even more that the bitcoin client needs to be shutdown completely before backing up. I can see someone not realizing it is still running in their task bar and having problems.

Perhaps in my earlier attempts not al of the blocks had downloaded and I would have received the balance regardless and this is actually not as big of an issue as I thought.

I think the next step is making a how to video on backups for the average joe. One for just securing from loss, and then a second for securing from theft.

Yeah, I might add auto backup + encryption to BitMiner later on down the track. Bitcoin should probably lock the file, so you can't even read it while the client is open.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: