Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:19:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0 Active connections - (out of sync)  (Read 3241 times)
Dangolbery (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:28:38 PM

My bitcoin-qt client wont connect to the network. I thought it might be a virus because MSE stopped working aswell however when i use my second computer the bitcoin client still can't connect to the network.

Tried a heap of virus scanners and nothing is found. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 12:23:42 AM

ghetto way of checking if (outbound) tcp connections are blocked:

1. open up command prompt
2. type in "telnet bitseed.xf2.org 8333" (without quotes)
3. report what happens

alternate hostnames:
Code:
seed.bitcoin.sipa.be
dnsseed.bluematt.me
dnsseed.bitcoin.dashjr.org

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 01:05:29 AM

You say you are using Microsoft Security essentials. There is only one sticky in technical support, and it is No blocks downloaded - MS Security Essentials users please read.

I would go through any and all software firewall/virus scanners on the computer and disable them to isolate the problem. Likely something (installed on both computers) is not letting Bitcoin connections in or out. Alternately, if MSE isn't working, a virus may have disabled it and also broken network connectivity.

Dangolbery (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:38:14 AM

ghetto way of checking if (outbound) tcp connections are blocked:

1. open up command prompt
2. type in "telnet bitseed.xf2.org 8333" (without quotes)
3. report what happens

alternate hostnames:
Code:
seed.bitcoin.sipa.be
dnsseed.bluematt.me
dnsseed.bitcoin.dashjr.org

All of them just idle at Connecting to (hostname)... then after 5 mins it comes up that it couldn't connect on port 8333: Connection failed. So is this my ISP or maybe router doing this?

Note: I've since completely reinstalled windows so as to remove any possible viruses.

You say you are using Microsoft Security essentials. There is only one sticky in technical support, and it is No blocks downloaded - MS Security Essentials users please read.

I would go through any and all software firewall/virus scanners on the computer and disable them to isolate the problem. Likely something (installed on both computers) is not letting Bitcoin connections in or out. Alternately, if MSE isn't working, a virus may have disabled it and also broken network connectivity.

I've done everything they say to do in that thread, no change.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 12:27:52 AM

All of them just idle at Connecting to (hostname)... then after 5 mins it comes up that it couldn't connect on port 8333: Connection failed. So is this my ISP or maybe router doing this?

Note: I've since completely reinstalled windows so as to remove any possible viruses.
if tcp at 8333 isn't blocked, the screen should go empty (connected), and go back to command prompt after a while (with no error messages).

so it's either your router or isp. try eliminating your router by connecting your computer directly to the modem.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Dangolbery (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:13:25 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2013, 08:28:57 AM by Dangolbery

if tcp at 8333 isn't blocked, the screen should go empty (connected), and go back to command prompt after a while (with no error messages).

so it's either your router or isp. try eliminating your router by connecting your computer directly to the modem.

It's a router modem  Grin

But i DMZ'd my local ip and what you described happened, as in i didn't get an error msg with telnet.

This fixed the problem, must be something wrong with my router.

Thanks for your help!
Liam W

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 10:58:54 AM

It's a router modem  Grin

But i DMZ'd my local ip and what you described happened, as in i didn't get an error msg with telnet.

This fixed the problem, must be something wrong with my router.

Thanks for your help!

It was probably blocking the port going to the bitcoinservers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: