Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 10:28:25 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR vs Ethereum  (Read 8865 times)
Das (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 03:04:12 PM

I've heard people say that XMR is more secure than ETH; the price chart shows a different story. If Monero (XMR) is better than ETH, how come the price of XMR is lesser than that of ETH?
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 03:07:31 PM

I've heard people say that XMR is more secure than ETH; the price chart shows a different story. If Monero (XMR) is better than ETH, how come the price of XMR is lesser than that of ETH?

Speculation.

The price of none of these coins, even bitcoin, reflects the usefulness of the technology underlying it. These prices are purely born of speculation; it is simply too easy to invest in this sphere. It brings in the riffraff, so to speak.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 04:13:36 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2016, 09:56:27 PM by Febo

As you see there are lots of coins more secure then ETH, since they have written in protocol that anyone can take coins to themselves.  ETH ahd and still have huge marketing from before it started. They gathered tons of BTC for it.

Monero started and only then team formed. There was no BTC collected and most developers work for nothing. There is almost zero marketing. Just google Monero and Goggle Ethereum and see for yourself.

Monero price was never super cheap and never expencive, but stable last 2 years. High emission prevented that raise to much and early adopters prevent that fall much in the first month.  Price is always right. Of Ethereum or of Monero.
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2016, 07:04:15 PM

The tech in a coin/asset/token has nothing to do with the price. That is why Bitcoin is still the King, because no one comes even close to its adoption. Personally I don't like them both (XMR and ETH). Monero because of the endless verbal wars between XMR and Dash supporters and ETH for obvious reasons.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 10:24:54 PM

The tech in a coin/asset/token has nothing to do with the price. That is why Bitcoin is still the King, because no one comes even close to its adoption. Personally I don't like them both (XMR and ETH). Monero because of the endless verbal wars between XMR and Dash supporters and ETH for obvious reasons.

Over the short term I would agree with you; however over the long term tech wins in the end. Bitcoin is a case in point. From late 2009 until late 2013 we saw and an exponential rise in the market capitalization of Bitcoin by a factor of 106. From late 2013 until now we have seen a flat / falling market in Bitcoin. Why because once the 1 MB blocks were filled up in early 2014 the exponential growth in the Bitcoin network was stopped in its tracks. This also stopped exponential rise in the market capitalization of Bitcoin. The underlying reason for all of this was technological; namely the fixed 1 MB blocsize limit in Bitcoin.

Interestingly XMR and ETH/ETC have one thing in common. No fixed 1 MB blocksize limit to stifle the growth of the corresponding networks.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1454

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 01:47:20 AM

Over the short term I would agree with you; however over the long term tech wins in the end. Bitcoin is a case in point. From late 2009 until late 2013 we saw and an exponential rise in the market capitalization of Bitcoin by a factor of 106. From late 2013 until now we have seen a flat / falling market in Bitcoin. Why because once the 1 MB blocks were filled up in early 2014 the exponential growth in the Bitcoin network was stopped in its tracks. This also stopped exponential rise in the market capitalization of Bitcoin. The underlying reason for all of this was technological; namely the fixed 1 MB blocsize limit in Bitcoin.

Interestingly XMR and ETH/ETC have one thing in common. No fixed 1 MB blocksize limit to stifle the growth of the corresponding networks.

I agree that bitcoin is very conservative and the core developers chose a safe approach in implementing a 1 MB blocksize limit. So the effect is slow growth. But my question is if let us say everyone supported XT, what will be the effects of this good and bad? Some say bitcoin will be centralized. And others say that it will still not scale because there will be too many transactions in the network and will be prone to errors in doing transactions.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Loganota

Activity: 1778
Merit: 882

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 02:48:28 AM

Unfortunately what determines the price is not the currency is good or not, but how it is accepted by the community. Marketing is a very important thing in this market.
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2016, 05:27:12 AM

I don't think that the blocksize is the biggest problem for Bitcoin and I'm sure that half of the people using it don't even know about that. Smiley I can somehow agree with the short/long term statement, but the truth is that cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin included) are too young so it is a bit too early to say who/what will win the "race".

Unfortunately what determines the price is not the currency is good or not, but how it is accepted by the community. Marketing is a very important thing in this market.

Of course! Whoever think different is naive. Pepsi, Coca Cola and McDonald's are good examples.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 05:40:40 AM

Mined "Currency"

vs.

ICO scheme coin.

Any questions ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 06:12:06 AM

I think both are not really compareable. I see XMR`s importance growing in a world where BTC tracking algorithms are beeing developed, making BTC more transparent as it already is and laws like in the EU target BTC-users with huge databases identifying and collecting data about users and their transactions.

Yeah they may have been some annyoing XMR-fanboys in the past, but it does not change anything about the XMR technology, its potential and importance for the future of crypto. Its funny how much money is wasted by crypto investors in shiny marketed P&D scamcoins with no development, which won`t change nothing, while XMR is still undervalued. May it be so for a while, I won`t complain till I have collected the XMR amount I would like to own.
Viscore

Activity: 3080
Merit: 648

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 07:50:03 AM

I think the marketing and the community support is also very important. We need good leader for the project as well.

.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
raphma

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 03:55:04 PM

Wow, i'm used to XMR vs Dash, but XMR vs ETH? that's new.  Roll Eyes
jack1111

Activity: 924
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 04:21:38 PM

I think Ethereum is better than XMR , even though both coins have good market caps , but sure ETH is much better , because it managed to fetch more investors , also it has been growing faster , it is not a long time when ETH price was $ 0.9 , then the growing began , and now ETH marcet cap equals more than $ 900 m .
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 05:24:44 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2016, 05:39:21 PM by ArticMine

Of course! Whoever think different is naive. Pepsi, Coca Cola and McDonald's are good examples.

... and Google is a phenomenal counter example.  Advocates of lavish marketing campaigns commonly use Pepsi Cola, Coca Cola and McDonald's as examples and point out to studies where these companies stopped marketing in an area and sales plummeted. The reason marketing is essential in these and similar cases is because the product or service in question is junk. There are many very successful companies that spend very little or even nothing on marketing. The reason they are successful is because their products or services actually meet a legitimate need in the marketplace and people will go out of their way to purchase them.

Google not only does not waste large sums of money on marketing but actually makes billions of USD from marketers both by themselves and in partnership with many businesses both large and small. So who is really naive here? Those who spend on marketing or those who not only do not spend on marketing but actually profit from the marketers?

Edit: Monero vs Ethereum, is in crypto currency, an extreme case on the merits of fundamentals vs marketing. The long term favors fundamentals, the short term favors marketing.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
asdalani

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 05:47:24 PM

I think Ethereum is better than XMR , even though both coins have good market caps , but sure ETH is much better , because it managed to fetch more investors , also it has been growing faster , it is not a long time when ETH price was $ 0.9 , then the growing began , and now ETH marcet cap equals more than $ 900 m .

That is right. I bought the Ethereum when the price was below $$0.8. But I sold most at the price of $1.3.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1364

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 07:45:55 PM

Also, ETH and XMR are very different one from other. While ETH focuses on smart contracts/dapp development, XMR focuses on providing an anonymous way of transacting by the use of ring signatures. Still, ETH could implement anonymity in the near future, thus making it a full fledged decentralized app platform with anonymizing techniques like ring signatures. Will this ever happen to ETH? Only time will tell. Just my opinion Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
bitowl

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 08:44:07 PM

xmr is the most undervalued alt

eth is the most overvalued alt.

pretty simple  Cool
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 09:07:46 PM

Wow, i'm used to XMR vs Dash, but XMR vs ETH? that's new.  Roll Eyes

Yup.. let's compare XMR with a chicken sandwich now.

..hold on lemme go make a new forum-account for the topic though LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1454

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 02:32:28 AM

Also, ETH and XMR are very different one from other. While ETH focuses on smart contracts/dapp development, XMR focuses on providing an anonymous way of transacting by the use of ring signatures. Still, ETH could implement anonymity in the near future, thus making it a full fledged decentralized app platform with anonymizing techniques like ring signatures. Will this ever happen to ETH? Only time will tell. Just my opinion Smiley

In case you did not know. Zcash technology is going to be built on Ethereum. The platform will have anonymous smart contract transactions in the future if it is successful. The people behind zcash will fork Ethereum's parity client with zero knowledge proofs built in it.

.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Zaducis

Activity: 441

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 07:46:22 AM

These two coins have different applications. One is the fuel for smart contract, the other is for anonymous.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: