Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:42:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something Fishy about Steemit and Steem?  (Read 6132 times)
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 10:54:46 AM
Last edit: August 10, 2016, 12:52:57 PM by iamnotback

@iamnotback:

Are you Anonymous or can one find your name if one wants? Same question for Smooth.

I am not anonymous:

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@anonymint/anonymint-from-bitcointalk-introducing-myself

Afaik, @smooth is anonymous, but he should be the one to confirm or deny.

I am also a Dashtard and @smooth and @iamnotback and some other Monero guys with their SJW-like ultraorthodoxy have been getting on my nerves quite a few times here, since more than two years now.

Maybe you missed @anonymint's (some people claim I was TPTB_need_war although this remains officially unconfirmed because iamnotback yet[1]) recent mea culpa and move away from being an altcoin sheriff:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1218399.msg15121763#msg15121763
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1474910.msg14869764#msg14869764
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15234366#msg15234366

@smooth also appears to have taken a turn for the more pragmatic side as well:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15228523#msg15228523
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1513252.msg15226165#msg15226165

[1] This monkey business has something to do with a permanent ban but I don't really understand nonsense.
Macno
Legendary

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 11:26:31 AM

Simply wow and thank you so much Sir! Still reading, but it`s already some of the best stuff I`ve read on this Forum (not talking about the coding stuff, I don`t understand everything anyway, but from an ethical point of view).
You have a new follower on Steemit.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 05:07:59 PM

Jeff Berwick always gave me the classic "internet marketer" vibe, that's all. He has no deeper technical knowledge about anything, he just parrots whatever the smarter engineers are saying.

So true.

Yesterday on the radio he said the Steem white paper is "possibly genius." lolz.

Yeah it seems this guy is a great pumper but that's about it. He sometimes gets things right tho.. he was recommending buying Bitcoin when it was like 10 dollars, so if someone listened to him and bought im sure they have good opinion of this guy.
MWD64 (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 06:34:18 PM

PS: Harcore voluntarist here......

Me also. Pretty sure same is true with smooth and iamnotback....

Hi, just a few thoughts. I was given the link to this thread by a steemit user, because I had told him how mad I was and that I was about to go to the German authorities and the press, if I was presented with solid evidence of a scam or fraudulent behavior...... my line for fraud is pretty fat red and rather easy to step on. You don`t even have to cross it. .......because nothing MWD64 has presented so far contains a single shred of evidence regarding Steemit......

No offense MWD64, I really appreciate what seems to be good intentions, but you`ll have to put up some more facts.

I don't have a lot of "proof" either, just evidence and gut feeling. I'm usually right about that too. Unfortunately, I can't tell what will be a winner (if I could, I'd be rich), but I can usually spot the losers. Have a good track record with that.

But for something more than gut feeling go through the last week of this guy's Twitter and read his page-by-page analysis of the Steem white paper:
https://twitter.com/Tone_LLT

I also like Jeff Berwick and got to know him a little at Anarchapulco. He might not have a flawless character (not that I noticed anything unusual), but I think he`s honest......

I've met him in person too. He's likely fun to have a beer with, HOWEVER. Libertarians let people get away with so much shit.

If Jeff did the shit he appears to do with other people's money, and did it in the outlaw biker world instead of the liberty world, he'd be buried alive in the desert in an oil barrel.

If he did it in the street drug trade he'd get capped in an alley.

I'm not talking about the $200 bucks he owes me (though that wouldn't stand either) but I'm talking large sums. Like people's life savings.

If he behaved like he has to libertarians but did it in actual finance worlds, he'd be either in prison, or no one would ever deal with him again. Yet here is everyone saying "Jeff is on to something new! He's got such a good track record with money! (he doesn't). Let's jump on his new thing again!

I mean, just the fact that he pretends to be a millionaire but when I ask for the few hundred he owes me, he says he's "practiculy broke" and pays me 2/3 of what he owes me. Jesus.

There was simply too much chatter of "centralized power", "scam", "dan`s big ego", "steem dumping", "bitshare buddies bailout", "envy" and bad behavior even among whales" etc etc etc., so it got me worried, because I had actually turned into a "True Believer"......

It's hard to say what Steem is. The makers of it have layered it in so many wrappings of whatever. They say that's part of the mechanism. I say it's to obscure its true nature.

Regardless, I predict than within about 9 months Steem and Steemit will either:
--be bought out by Facebook or Google and nothing people like about it now will remain, and every non-whale will feel cheated.
--be exposed as a Ponzi and the principles will be headed to prison
--will be exposed as a CIA plot to keep anarchists busy chasing digital nickles.

--The least horrible outcome will be this: it turns out to not be a scam, won't be out of business, but will be the shittiest site in the world. Because the pay model encourages click-bait.

Imagine a social network that has a hundred million articles with spam-email titles like Berwick's "I made 15,000 dollars in a day in my underwear!" or whatever.

MWD
(I'm not anon, three smart clicks and you'd have my full name.)

Check out and use The BipCot NoGov license
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 06:49:09 PM

Jeff Berwick always gave me the classic "internet marketer" vibe, that's all. He has no deeper technical knowledge about anything, he just parrots whatever the smarter engineers are saying.

So true.

Yesterday on the radio he said the Steem white paper is "possibly genius." lolz.

Yeah it seems this guy is a great pumper but that's about it. He sometimes gets things right tho.. he was recommending buying Bitcoin when it was like 10 dollars, so if someone listened to him and bought im sure they have good opinion of this guy.

Exactly. And he still can't even really solidly explain what Bitcoin is. And he certainly can't explain what Steem is. Listen to his interview on Free Talk Live from the other day.
https://www.freetalklive.com/podcast/2016-08-08

Check out how when Darryl asks Jeff a tough question it's all "I'm not really sure of the technical details."

In that interview, Jeff also calls the Steemit white paper "possibly genius." lolz.

deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 06:54:55 PM

If Jeff did the shit he appears to do with other people's money, and did it in the outlaw biker world instead of the liberty world, he'd be buried alive in the desert in an oil barrel.

Very true.

In the liberty world, which Bitcoin certainly was in the early days, many have gotten away with worse things than Jeff Berwick did: Mark Karpeles comes to mind. I was so convinced that he'd end up dead in an alley, but even he is still crawling around.
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 06:56:30 PM

Very true.

In the liberty world, which Bitcoin certainly was in the early days, many have gotten away with worse things than Jeff Berwick did: Mark Karpeles comes to mind. I was so convinced that he'd end up dead in an alley, but even he is still crawling around.

Yup.

Mark Karpeles is safe (?) in prison. Berwick throws an annual party in Mexico and invites everyone. lol.

deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 07:02:23 PM

Mark Karpeles might be hard to find these days. Berwick throws an annual party in Mexico and invites everyone. lol.

Ironically Berwick the anarchist might thank his freedom or even his live on the protection by the state.
(Not many people want to risk going to jail for getting justice)

Karpeles for sure, though I don't suppose he is an anarchist.

MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 07:05:11 PM

Mark Karpeles might be hard to find these days. Berwick throws an annual party in Mexico and invites everyone. lol.

Ironically Berwick the anarchist might thank his freedom or even his live on the protection by the state.

Possibly true. Though life can be pretty cheap in what Jeff claims is the Libertarian Paradise of Mexico. And if you appear rich there you only have state protection if you pay extra in the form of bribes.

Berwick has very publicly threatened to send his "private armies of hackers and assassins" after people who piss him off. lol.

Not sure how he'd pay these armies since when I asked him for the 200 bucks he owes me he said he was "almost broke."

deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 07:16:05 PM

I don`t give a fuck about that Chile thing

That is what I meant when I said he gets more fans every day than he loses due to his history.

I normally wouldn't give a fuck if you don't give a fuck about someones track record.

But if you say you are a hardcore voluntaryist, which I consider myself to be as well, I must wonder, how you feel that a voluntary society could work if people refuse to ostracize bad actors, or the very least call them out for their moral obligation to make whole those whom they have hurt with their actions (which he publicly admitted).
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 07:18:19 PM

That is what I meant when I said he gets more fans every day than he loses due to his history.

I normally wouldn't give a fuck if you don't give a fuck about someones track record.

But if you say you are a hardcore voluntaryist, which I consider myself to be as well, I must wonder, how you feel that a voluntary society could work if people refuse to ostracize bad actors, or the very least call them out for their moral obligation to make whole those whom they have hurt with their actions (which he publicly admitted).

This^

+100

MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 07:20:57 PM

Between people thinking Berwick is a financial genius,
and people thinking Molyneux is still an anarchist
and people thinking Cantwell is a decent guy with some interesting ideas on race,
and people thinking a few other people are "great men",
I sometimes think liberty is doomed.

MWD

deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 07:27:44 PM

I think liberty can only work if the majority of people have a moral compass and will act if the NAP is infringed upon. I think it is no secret that this has never in history been the case and is currently at an all-time low around the world.
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 07:33:13 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2016, 07:50:31 PM by MWD64

I think liberty can only work if the majority of people have a moral compass and will act if the NAP is infringed upon. I think it is no secret that this has never in history been the case and is currently at an all-time low around the world.

Liberty is solid. But also attracts sociopaths. Because sociopaths have the same contempt for authority that good-hearted liberty people do. So sociopaths find liberty and go "I'm home! Finally!"

And some good-hearted people are easily fooled by sociopaths, because sociopaths are often interesting and charismatic.

My friend Steve adds: "And a good number of those sociopaths will look upon a community that won't call the cops as an opportunity to scam with  impunity."

MWD

deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 08:40:56 PM

Liberty is solid. But also attracts sociopaths. Because sociopaths have the same contempt for authority that good-hearted liberty people do. So sociopaths find liberty and go "I'm home! Finally!"

And some good-hearted people are easily fooled by sociopaths, because sociopaths are often interesting and charismatic.

My friend Steve adds: "And a good number of those sociopaths will look upon a community that won't call the cops as an opportunity to scam with  impunity."

Yes I agree with that. I believe the majority of people is good-hearted, but they allow their morals to be easily manipulated to go against the NAP. By their peers, by sociopaths, by some ideology, for the greater good, for the children, etc.

Liberty can only work if the majority of people have an incorruptible moral compass and will act upon it to protect the NAP.
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 08:53:20 PM

Liberty can only work if the majority of people have an incorruptible moral compass and will act upon it to protect the NAP.

The NAP, in most voluntaryist's life, is a theory. Something to argue about on Facebook. Or Steem.

Liberty can only work if the majority of people call out scammers on their bullshit to the point that the scammers disappear from liberty and go back to the day jobs they had before they became horribly flawed liberty "heroes."

People who say "I don't care about Galt's Gulch" make this shit not work.

If voluntaryists spent 1/10th the time they spend arguing about the nuances of the NAP and instead spent it verbally bashing people like Jeff and Stefan, the State could end a lot sooner.

MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 08:59:12 PM

Tearing down the shitty "heroes" is required. In the same way that removing termite-riddled wood in a house is required.

No heroes is better than bad heroes.

Heroes are gods. Amazing how many atheists need a liberty hero.

And if someone DOES need a hero, Ben Stone the Bad Quaker has everything required. Have you even heard his podcasts? Have you read his new book?

In punk rock back in the day, heroes were ripped apart. Figuratively.

Hell, Jello Biafra was literally beat up at Gilman Street. Fuckers put him in the hospital.

Macno
Legendary

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 07:15:28 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2016, 07:26:22 AM by Macno

Oh please don`t get me wrong! I so totally agree with you. That`s actually why I love Steemit so much, because it incentivizes just that.  Please don`t forget: coding noob here. Enduser who happens to be in crypto for a while. I just love the pure experience on the site and the psychological and pedagogical dynamics. To me it is my Spaceship Liberty cockpit and THE voluntarist trojan horse we will sneak into every household. I`m so hooked I`d come back again if this crashes and burns, for a new try, if Dan and Ned treat the disaster openly like Gentlemen.

But I disgrees.

The point is, the thread is about Steemit, neither Jeff Berwick, nor that Chile thing. I did a quick check and talked to a few people in Acapulco close to the matter, and I simply could not find enough fishiness to be worried. And it as nothing to do with Steemit.

You know "in dubio pro reo" right?

But please keep diggin, I don`t mind, on the contrary. I would just shift my focus away from Jeff a little. He truly is new to Steemit and has nothing to do with it and if you dont like him ignore him or buy so much SteemPower and hit him with the BanHammer like Bernie Sanders did.
I`m sorry, but I find that so much more entertaining and refreshing than anything else:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@dollarvigilante/steemit-is-a-scam-how-bernie-sanders-screwed-me

Edit:

I give you an example of what I mean, please bear with me and I promise you it will be worth your time:

http://suspiciousdeaths.blogspot.de/2011/11/bob-marley-everything-happens-for.html

So did that german nazi guy kill Bob Marley or not? What do you think?

iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 07:44:05 AM

But if you say you are a hardcore voluntaryist, which I consider myself to be as well, I must wonder, how you feel that a voluntary society could work if people refuse to ostracize bad actors...

If voluntaryists spent 1/10th the time they spend arguing about the nuances of the NAP and instead spent it verbally bashing people like Jeff and Stefan, the State could end a lot sooner.

Volunteerism is for communists. It is just another form of delusional (wolf in idealistskin) meddling political correctness whiny bullshit.

Work hard in a meritocracy and keep your fucking (whiny snotty ass) brown noses out of my asshole.

I am all for working for the good, and making a profit in a meritocracy while doing so. You Marxists in sheepskin are always returning for more megadeath feelgood.
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 12:06:45 PM

Volunteerism is for communists. It is just another form of delusional (wolf in idealistskin) meddling political correctness whiny bullshit.

Work hard in a meritocracy and keep your fucking (whiny snotty ass) brown noses out of my asshole.

I am all for working for the good, and making a profit in a meritocracy while doing so. You Marxists in sheepskin are always returning for more megadeath feelgood.

Volunteerism != Voluntaryism

You are very fond of throwing insults around, but you don't even seem to understand what the adults are talking about.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: