Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:40:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Wallets That Let You Import Public & Private Keys?  (Read 878 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 02:50:33 AM

I recently received my OPENDIME hardware "bearer bond" wallets.  These are a limited version of a hardware wallet.  That thread is here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1452987.60

I briefly review my experience on Page 3, there are reviews and instructions (and discussion) there at the thread as well as their website.

The OPENDIME is a very simple & cheap way to hold some BTC in relative safety.  But, it requires, as far as I can tell anyway, another wallet that must have the ability to import the Keys.

blockchain.info's wallets do, it took me some time, but I figured out how to do that (import the Keys from my OPENDIME so I could get my funds out, I was experimenting to see if I could do that).

My questions are:

-- Other than blockchain.info's, are there other online wallets that can import Public and Private Keys?

-- I was NOT able to find those functions on my Trezor nor Ledger Nano.  Do either or both have a way to import the Keys?

Many thanks!   Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 07:00:26 AM

I recently received my OPENDIME hardware "bearer bond" wallets.  These are a limited version of a hardware wallet.  That thread is here:

I briefly review my experience on Page 3, there are reviews and instructions (and discussion) there at the thread as well as their website.

The OPENDIME is a very simple & cheap way to hold some BTC in relative safety.  But, it requires, as far as I can tell anyway, another wallet that must have the ability to import the Keys.

blockchain.info's wallets do, it took me some time, but I figured out how to do that (import the Keys from my OPENDIME so I could get my funds out, I was experimenting to see if I could do that).

My questions are:

-- Other than blockchain.info's, are there other online wallets that can import Public and Private Keys?

-- I was NOT able to find those functions on my Trezor nor Ledger Nano.  Do either or both have a way to import the Keys?

Many thanks!   Smiley

There are several bitcoin wallet apps that allow you to import private keys, i.e. Electrum, Mycelium etc..

IMHO a hardware wallet like trezor is for creating your private keys in a safe way without a computer and protecting them against theft, so it would not make sense to import an external private key into such device because it's unknown if the key is already compromised.

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
nvK

Activity: 381
Merit: 259

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 05:06:13 PM

Copay, Breadwallet, Electrum, etc... almost all decent wallets allow you to "sweep" a private key.

It's the bitcoin incentive that makes the "blockchain" technology work, stupid.
nindie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 10:11:36 AM

how much price in opendime
is ready trusted listed website bitcoin.org or not
nvK

Activity: 381
Merit: 259

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2016, 01:09:42 PM

They cost 12.50 and come in 3 packs. It's not listed on bitcoin.org yet.

It's the bitcoin incentive that makes the "blockchain" technology work, stupid.
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 01:27:43 PM

They cost 12.50 and come in 3 packs. It's not listed on bitcoin.org yet.

I see them a bit similar to the physical bitcoins like from casascius but they have the advantage that you can get the private key more easily. With a physical bitcoin, you have to break the hologram and read the private key under it with a magnifying glass and enter it manually. And another advantage of OpenDime is that it can sign a message with the private key, so you have the proof that this device really holds it.

A disadvantage is the missing collector's value of course!  Wink

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
BigChocolate

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 06:53:17 AM

My questions are:

What

Many thanks!   Smiley

There are several bitcoin wallet apps that allow you to import private keys, i.e. Electrum, Mycelium etc..

IMHO a hardware wallet like trezor is for creating your private keys in a safe way without a computer and protecting them against theft, so it would not make sense to import an external private key into such device because it's unknown if the key is already compromised.

What do you mean exactly, by "importing private keys"?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: