Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:59:30 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is buying bitcoins the same as buying stocks in stock market?  (Read 2697 times)
coolakid (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 12:44:40 PM

I'm just curious, are they just the same?
Mauser

Activity: 1834
Merit: 529

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 12:51:35 PM

It is not the same. Bitcoins are a currency like fiat. Stocks give you ownership in a company. You are entitled to dividends as a stock holder. You don't get any income by just holding bitcoins, except for the price increases of course.
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 12:57:49 PM

Buying bitcoin is same as buying gold, because you are investing in something that the price can go higher or lower in the future and you also can spend bitcoin like normal money and it's different from the stock shares.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 12:58:13 PM

if you just look at the buying part, then you can say that it's nearly identical. in both cases you are buying and selling from an order book. however, with stocks you are forced to buy a minimum of 1 stock. you can't choose to buy like 0.1 stock, or 0.75, or 10.65 stock like you can with bitcoin. again, i'm just talking about the buying process.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 01:02:49 PM

The same in what respect? Clearly stocks and Bitcoin are entirely different things. Bitcoin is not a company, but a decentralized currency and value transfer system. The Bitcoin software and network is not owned by anyone. Logically, Bitcoin pays no dividends and you need no bank to obtain ownership.

Bitcoin is both a store of value and a service to move value around. So I don't think that these hybrid nature can be directly compared to other assets, which are only the former. I think the only thing that's similar compared to investing in the stock market (or any other asset) is the risk involved. Bitcoin's value fluctuates. There is no 100% assurance, that Bitcoin will be successful and maintain or increase its purchasing power.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
coolakid (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 01:09:47 PM

It is not the same. Bitcoins are a currency like fiat. Stocks give you ownership in a company. You are entitled to dividends as a stock holder. You don't get any income by just holding bitcoins, except for the price increases of course.

Oh. Okay, I see. Maybe they're just the same in the concept of buying and selling. Thank you for answering!
coolakid (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 01:22:08 PM

The same in what respect? Clearly stocks and Bitcoin are entirely different things. Bitcoin is not a company, but a decentralized currency and value transfer system. The Bitcoin software and network is not owned by anyone. Logically, Bitcoin pays no dividends and you need no bank to obtain ownership.

Bitcoin is both a store of value and a service to move value around. So I don't think that these hybrid nature can be directly compared to other assets, which are only the former. I think the only thing that's similar compared to investing in the stock market (or any other asset) is the risk involved. Bitcoin's value fluctuates. There is no 100% assurance, that Bitcoin will be successful and maintain or increase its purchasing power.

ya.ya.yo!

Yosh! Noted, sir! Maybe their concept of buying and selling and as you've said the risk, made me think they're just the same. Thank you!
sempak

Activity: 1638
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 01:39:16 PM

if you trade bitcoin then it was just all right. with bitcoin we can buy and sell them. as well as the stock market, we benefit from the margin. Different is bitcoin more like we do trade currencies. everyone has his point of view respectively. for me like that.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2016, 02:21:03 PM

they are the same but they also have differences too.
as it was said before bitcoin is a currency also so you can withdraw it and use it as such, exactly like forex market so i guess it is more similar that way.
but the trading part is similar you place orders and buy and sell the same way. and technical analysis works here too.
the difference however is that stocks market is so much bigger and there is a company behind the stock that you buy but there is no company behind bitcoin and it is pure supply and demand.

--looking for signature--
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 05:23:52 PM

Bitcoin can be better defined as assets like gold, silver etc but bitcoin can't be touched just like gold after you buy. Buying stocks and buying bitcoin is quite different but both have price volatility giving chance to earn money trading them, however price volatility is higher in bitcoin so making it more profitable and also risky.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 05:35:50 PM

A majority of the process is the same, but they aren't really the same because there are a lot of differences within the two markets and how actively money is moved. A lot of what makes Bitcoin so attractive to investors is the volatility it has, and how often the are swings up or down as well as pumps, which have the opportunities for investors to make a lot of money. Bitcoin is more unpredictable than the stock market and there are some key differences, but a lot of the knowledge is the same.
fireball4

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 05:44:26 PM

well it is not the same thing as bitcoins usually have different exchanges specially for them only, though it is an investment option a bit like stocks

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
[/table
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 05:50:28 PM

No not really.
With buying stocks you become share owner of a company.
Bitcoin however can be seen as money or commodity, like gold or silver.I like to compare trading Bitcoin and other altcoins with FX trading.
Furthermore Bitcoin is much more volatile but on the other side it has huge potential for massive gains in the future as we are still in the early years although almost being 8 years old.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 06:03:02 PM

In a way holding Bitcoin is like holding a stock on every pro-Bitcoin company out there, since all companies benefit from Bitcoin having an higher price, so if you are not sure on what company to invest in the crypto field, just buy Bitcoin.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1248

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2016, 08:31:08 PM

Bitcoin is different.

The number of Bitcoins doesn't increase your say in spinning the network itself, but you have a voice in the market.  (Market and the network are two totally different things)

Proof of Stake coins are more like buying stocks.  You get a voice in the market and you get a voice in the network because the coins are mined by coins "staking".

That's why I mess with Clamcoin because it's like a Just-Dice stock with a vote.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 10:19:25 PM

The thing i remember when i had shares from some companies is they are volatil, they change daily as bitcoin, and can easy double as loose value, besides that you can only sell on the daily basics, meaning at weekend you cant do nothing. You pay a fee holding stock markets and you get some share of the revenue from the company. At bitcoin its 24/7 possible transaction, and you dont get a share from the revenue, as bitcoin just mooves up and down soo this will be from where your earnings may come.
expert4knowledge

Activity: 826

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 07:49:39 AM

The thing i remember when i had shares from some companies is they are volatil, they change daily as bitcoin, and can easy double as loose value, besides that you can only sell on the daily basics, meaning at weekend you cant do nothing. You pay a fee holding stock markets and you get some share of the revenue from the company. At bitcoin its 24/7 possible transaction, and you dont get a share from the revenue, as bitcoin just mooves up and down soo this will be from where your earnings may come.
Yes, they are similar in some aspects but not exactly the same, some economic and financial indices affect on price of bitcoin but at least not like that bitcoin works. You can buy bitcoin yourself and there are many more unknown variables on bitcoin price compared to stock.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
groll

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 03:40:26 PM

So that is the difference, you are knowledgeable indeed.  In my opinion it is like the same because it is like both investing. It would still bring profit to you in just different form.  But upon reading your post, yes, it is different.  We woould not have income with btc if we just keep it.  It will give us income if it goes well.  Hope that btc price would give us more promising future.
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 04:04:54 PM

In my opinion, yes because you're like buying shares from bitcoin and you will keep it for a long term or either short. And its always up to you if when you gonna sell your shares. So for me it's same like investing in stock market.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 05:45:09 AM

Yes but it’s slightly different. When you buy bitcoins, you invest in a technology having a revolutionary concept. No one can predict the accurate future of bitcoin because it’s something that is happening for the first time. If you are buying stocks then it totally depends on who is issuing stocks, most of the companies are doing traditional business which give a fixed kind of returns. In investment point of view, bitcoin investment is more risky but having good potential of high returns whereas stocks investments are something traditional kind of investments.

By the way, you can invest in both at a time, I think 1Broker has that feature to invest in stocks with bitcoins. Do your own research before investing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: