Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:28:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Batch #3 Not selling as fast....  (Read 4218 times)
Zman0101

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 01:59:01 AM

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on some Batch #3, 4-module units ....  However I have yet to receive the Batch 1 order, this is why I hesitate.

I can't decide... can anyone maybe help sway me in favour of pulling the trigger on the order??  Grin

Im hesitant myself. I think it smells a little fishy that they are only taking bitcoins and no refunds. They come off saying yeah we are supporting bitcoin by only taking bitcoin however, there is no refund. Even if they did promote a refund who are we going to complain to if you don't get anything back. Think about it... a currency that is not accepted as a real currency YET... The better business bureau would probably laugh at us and ask wtf is a bitcoin. Plus if you didn't even get anything from batch 1.... I wouldn't invest . 

Another thought to... All the money that they are making from these orders is more capital in their pockets to build more machines for themselves. I wouldn't doubt your Avalon rig has about 2 months of burn in testing on it already. The unit are real for sure but we would all be crazy not to think that these companies such as BFL and Avalon aren't using these for their own potential gains. They will ship a few out here an there to keep people with the mind set that they are shipping which will acquire more orders. Im putting myself in the shoes of these companies...if I had the key to make millions of dollars and be set for life ...why share it ?

hedging? what if bitcoin fails? at least you got money from the ASIC

That's if you get the device is my point . I'm into BFL for 3 g myself. The reality is will i see the money again.. I dunno i like to hope so. An the bitcoin wont fail...its been proven. The only thing that will cause the bitcoin to be less desirable is if the govt puts restrictions on it or tries to outlaw it.
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:16:14 AM

Being completely honest. I was going to buy 10-20 batch 3, even if the price doubled to $3,000. But they asked too much. I'm heavily onsidering plunking down some cash this week on a BFL minirig.

I love avalon and I' happy with my bath 1 purchases that finally arrived today. But, still it was quite frustrating getting them delivered and the dealys for batch 2 and an unknown time for batch 3 make me very hesitant. Combine that with the huge price increase and it's a no go, right now.
Frankie Delaney

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:22:01 AM

Being completely honest. I was going to buy 10-20 batch 3, even if the price doubled to $3,000. But they asked too much. I'm heavily onsidering plunking down some cash this week on a BFL minirig.

I love avalon and I' happy with my bath 1 purchases that finally arrived today. But, still it was quite frustrating getting them delivered and the dealys for batch 2 and an unknown time for batch 3 make me very hesitant. Combine that with the huge price increase and it's a no go, right now.

If paying 5 grand for something is too much, why the hell would you pay 1300 for nothing?
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:29:14 AM

Glad you finally got your Avalon.

I don't really follow your reasoning for a BFL order however. If you think Avalon has behaved poorly then how would you describe BFL's behavior? An order placed last summer for that minirig could have seen you paying 5000BTCs for it with nothing at all to show for it now. Business decisions made on emotion tend to be poor decisions.

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:46:59 AM

If paying 5 grand for something is too much, why the hell would you pay 1300 for nothing?

That's quite a good point.

creativex

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:14:51 PM

Even better when you consider that a minirig is actually $30k and worth nothing until it's delivered which may well be never.

Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:21:21 PM

Even better when you consider that a minirig is actually $30k and worth nothing until it's delivered which may well be never.

the same can be said about anything else? Avalon can deliver, but when? End of april, or may? BFL could be shipping by then and difficulty is way up. By then it makes more sense to go minirig, even if it is twice the power and half the hashrate than buying 10 avalons.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:51:40 PM

Much higher risk now. Before, both Avalon and BFL had working FPGA products, so it is highly possible that they will deliver ASIC, just a matter of time, but now it is about the speed of hashing power increase

BFL claimed that they will deliver 1000 60GH unit /month when their test finished, that will ramp up the difficulty quickly, make batch 3's return more uncertain, in such a case minirig is a better choice

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:54:36 PM

Much higher risk now. Before, both Avalon and BFL had working FPGA products, so it is highly possible that they will deliver ASIC, just a matter of time, but now it is about the speed of hashing power increase

BFL claimed that they will deliver 1000 60GH unit /month when their test finished, that will ramp up the difficulty quickly, make batch 3's return more uncertain, in such a case minirig is a better choice

With a 1 year time-frame even with a very large increase in the difficulty, they will ROI.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Red_Evil

Activity: 1484

Across The Universe

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:55:01 PM

If...

What when not
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:12:02 PM

If...

What when not

Nothing is certain, everything has a risk, everyone have their own risk evaluating formula

gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8440

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 03:18:24 PM

Batch 1 took weeks to sell out— and the same thing happened: people put in orders and didn't pay... then more units were freed up as those orders were manually canceled.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 03:30:54 PM

Batch 1 took weeks to sell out— and the same thing happened: people put in orders and didn't pay... then more units were freed up as those orders were manually canceled.

Yep, it was just Batch #2 that was priced at a sweet spot and that is why it went like hotcakes.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
creativex

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:40:28 PM

the same can be said about anything else? Avalon can deliver, but when? End of april, or may? BFL could be shipping by then and difficulty is way up. By then it makes more sense to go minirig, even if it is twice the power and half the hashrate than buying 10 avalons.

I'd assign a much lower level of risk to an Avalon order than I would a BFL order simply because Avalon has proven they have a finished product to sell and that they're capable of delivering it. While as you well know Avalon has had some issues with delivery of their first batch, they are in China and did have CNY to contend with. That's not to say there weren't some liberties taken with announcements, but it was I'm sure a major disruption for them. They've also pushed back delivery of batch 2, which helps you(at my expense) as you have a batch 1 order in hand and I'm awaiting a batch 2 order.

With CNY in the rearview and Avalon stating they've doubled their production capacity going forward a batch 3 Avalon order was, for me at least, a fairly easy decision even with the pricetag and believe me I have done the math on a BFL minirig pre-order. The math just doesn't work for me until BFL proves they can produce SOMETHING, at least show off a working prototype hashing. This last couple weeks with BFL claiming they have chips, but can't quite seem to get a test rig up and working is just more of the same from these guys. Either they're lying or they're hopelessly incompetent. Either way I cannot justify the risk that their chips are trash(again) and they'll be back to whining about fab delays again soon...assuming of course they survive that long.

matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:07:42 PM

Like many others I'm very tempted to order a batch 3, but it would use up almost all of my BTC... I expect BTC to rise a lot more in the months it will take for the machine to arrive... so is that a reason to order or not?  If it goes up a lot and I keep the BTC they will be worth a lot more, but if it goes up a lot and I've spent the BTC on the miner then the miner will be worth a lot more too! 

I'm leaning away from the purchase because I've never done any mining before and I'm bit nervous about working out how to get it running...
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:09:57 PM

Like many others I'm very tempted to order a batch 3, but it would use up almost all of my BTC... I expect BTC to rise a lot more in the months it will take for the machine to arrive... so is that a reason to order or not?  If it goes up a lot and I keep the BTC they will be worth a lot more, but if it goes up a lot and I've spent the BTC on the miner then the miner will be worth a lot more too! 

I'm leaning away from the purchase because I've never done any mining before and I'm bit nervous about working out how to get it running...

If you are expecting price of BTC to rise, it is prudent to buy. If you are expecting it to fall, so that when the machine starts hashing it cannot recoup enough, do not buy. I have based my decision on this, since I too am expecting BTC value to rise.
m3whiteknight

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:01:52 PM

if you never mine before then it may not wise to buy avalon since it is not user friendly and even Avalon put it in their disclaimer .
matt608

Activity: 882

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:45:53 PM

if you never mine before then it may not wise to buy avalon since it is not user friendly and even Avalon put it in their disclaimer .

Yes thanks I've started a thread about whether I'm too noob to do it.
Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:05:06 PM

Yes thanks I've started a thread about whether I'm too noob to do it.

This post might be a good solution for you, you pay a bit more up front, but can save on customs charges buying yourself.

Being in China units likely to arrive quicker and they are all being pooled so everyone benefits, 10% fee seems reasonable and no hassle.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158295.0

CoinHoarder's offer is similar if he opens it back up again.

zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 08:21:17 PM

man i gathered 6k overnight only to brick walled by daily deposit limit! Coinbase is saying 30 days! bit instant is 2k limit or something! Im so frustrated right now! Sad

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print