Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:28:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 support 2 GPU?  (Read 2427 times)
goldbit (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:07:39 PM

A newbie question.

My Mobo is Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 running a sapphire 6870.

From the manual:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4) Note: The PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot. When PCIEX4 slot is populated with a x4 card, the PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots become unavailable

I am a little confused. Will this motherboard allow me to add one more GPU for mining?

Thanks in advance!
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCPrizes

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:12:08 PM

It looks and sounds as this board has 2 PCI-e slots? From what I've gathered you have 1 card in it now?

You should be able to fit 2 as long as they physically fit!

Confirm that you have 2 identical PCI-e slots and you're good to go.
goldbit (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:23:40 PM

It looks and sounds as this board has 2 PCI-e slots? From what I've gathered you have 1 card in it now?

You should be able to fit 2 as long as they physically fit!

Confirm that you have 2 identical PCI-e slots and you're good to go.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I only have 1 card now.

The part I am confused is that it says 1 PCI-e 16x, and the other PCI-e is 4x.

What is the difference between PCI-e 16x and PCI-e 4x?

Sorry for newbie question
emugoo

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:32:10 PM

you munged up the specs, so i looked it up:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4) (Note 3)
2 x PCI Express x1 slots (The PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot.) (Note 3)
      (All PCI Express slots conform to the PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
3 x PCI slots

(Note 3) The PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot. When PCIEX4 slot is populated with a x4 card, the PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots become unavailable.

It sounds as if you'd be restricted to 4x on the second slot. Also, you should not have anything on the smaller "pci-x 1" slots, because those will not work at all when using slot 1 and 2. unless you added a wifi or tv decoder card to the 1x pci-x slots, then that should not concern you.

No idea how the 4x speed changes the mining behaviour tho. Does mining need a lot of i/o bandwidth? If yes, then you could be restricted by the reduced speed, if not, then go ahead.
goldbit (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:48:50 PM

you munged up the specs, so i looked it up:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4) (Note 3)
2 x PCI Express x1 slots (The PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot.) (Note 3)
      (All PCI Express slots conform to the PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
3 x PCI slots

(Note 3) The PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot. When PCIEX4 slot is populated with a x4 card, the PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2 slots become unavailable.

It sounds as if you'd be restricted to 4x on the second slot. Also, you should not have anything on the smaller "pci-x 1" slots, because those will not work at all when using slot 1 and 2. unless you added a wifi or tv decoder card to the 1x pci-x slots, then that should not concern you.

No idea how the 4x speed changes the mining behaviour tho. Does mining need a lot of i/o bandwidth? If yes, then you could be restricted by the reduced speed, if not, then go ahead.

I plan to run 2 x HD 6870 (add one more) on this machine. I wonder what will be speed of the 2nd card if it is plugged into the PCIEX4 slot.
BiafraRepublic

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 01:52:21 AM

Generally speaking, the perceived speed on the card in the PCIeX16 slot running at x4 would be one-fourth of normal due to the reduced throughput.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: