Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:24:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "wallet.dat corrupt, salvage failed" after update of Bitcoin-QT  (Read 3639 times)
fromheten (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 01:48:17 PM

Updated to Bitcoin-QT 0.8.1beta. When loading the program I get the error "wallet.dat corrupt, salvage failed". Where do you start troubleshooting? I have tried recovering from a backup (`scp me@server:path/to/my/backup/of/wallet.dat ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin`), but still get the error. I've removed everything in ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin except for the wallet.dat (recovered from backup) and reran the client, to no help.

Extremely thankful for any help in troubleshooting this.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:56:04 PM

Try dumping your wallet with pywallet

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 03:02:40 PM

You can attempt recovery with the experimental build linked here by "PullTester" (Windows), it will keep on recovering when previous salvage attempts would fail:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2410

Backup your wallet before and after. Try to recover old backups of your wallet.
FalconFour

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 11:01:11 PM

You can attempt recovery with the experimental build linked here by "PullTester" (Windows), it will keep on recovering when previous salvage attempts would fail:

The link to the binary there is now dead. Still lost trying to recover this wallet... it's just downright insane that Bitcoin doesn't use a standard, human-readable file format for the all-important wallet.dat file. >.<

feed the bird: 187CXEVzakbzcANsyhpAAoF2k6KJsc55P1 (BTC) / LiRzzXnwamFCHoNnWqEkZk9HknRmjNT7nU (LTC)
fromheten (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:17:46 PM

The link to the binary there is now dead. Still lost trying to recover this wallet... it's just downright insane that Bitcoin doesn't use a standard, human-readable file format for the all-important wallet.dat file. >.<

Sure is ridiculous. This was quite a while ago, but I remember
* Backing up my ~/.bitcoin (~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin on OSX)
* opening bitcoin-qt
* quitting it
* copy the wallet.dat from the backup to the new ~/.bitcoin
* Start bitcoin-qt again, let it download the block chain
* Moving my funds to Electrum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: