Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:07:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICANN transfer to the UN effect on Bitcoin?  (Read 697 times)
Masha Sha (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 08:47:52 AM

Hello guys,

Sorry for my noobishness, however should I be afraid of this transfer of reponsability in regards to the Bitcoin networking in a worst case scenario? What will the UN be able to do once they control and rules over ICANN concerning Bitcoin? If there is opportunity of disruption, malicious intent in a worst case scenario. What are my options to mitigate it? I am looking for if necessary a proactive resilient trustless solution in the spirit of Bitcoin; there will be bad actors. I want to win.

/sarc /snowflakeshield /iammorevirtuousthanyou /2692 /pixelsonscreeen /fuckthemusep2p /p2p=love
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2016, 04:51:34 PM

Not sure about what's going on with those two organisations, but Bitcoin is in itself very resilient to disruption.
If you want to help mitigate the problem of centralization, you can always run your own node and mine yourself.
PremiumCodeX

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 09:01:55 PM

I cannot see an opportunity of disruption because of the ICANN transfer. So, I think you have no reason to worry about it nor I can suggest anything else that was not advised before to do  Wink I only wonder what made you think that such a possibility would exist after the transfer.

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.
Masha Sha (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 08:20:09 AM

I cannot see an opportunity of disruption because of the ICANN transfer. So, I think you have no reason to worry about it nor I can suggest anything else that was not advised before to do  Wink I only wonder what made you think that such a possibility would exist after the transfer.

I am not skilled enough to provide you a technical analysis. It's only questions... Could the UN bans certain ip range or ban ports? Simply put can they have an influence or effect on Bitcoin networking? I am speaking on a trustless basis.

/sarc /snowflakeshield /iammorevirtuousthanyou /2692 /pixelsonscreeen /fuckthemusep2p /p2p=love
PremiumCodeX

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 07:19:01 PM

I am not skilled enough to provide you a technical analysis. It's only questions... Could the UN bans certain ip range or ban ports? Simply put can they have an influence or effect on Bitcoin networking? I am speaking on a trustless basis.

Technically, they could cause issues to the participants of the BTC network in a dark future by banning certain IP ranges or ports or using other means, but thanks to the BTC network's decentralized nature I doubt they could cause issues to the network itself. Furthermore, before they could do it, they would need to challenge several legal issues and resolve them until they get to the point when they can execute such a plan. So, no, they cannot and even if I was wrong, you would know about it in time and you would still have time to prepare and re-configure your equipment.

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 07:36:00 PM

if there was a port ban

within minutes everyone will have posted a new port number and instructions on how people can use console commands to change the details. and the end result is that there may not be a block in the next 10 minutes, but soon enough its back to business as usual.

im pretty sure those people running full nodes are active enough to respond quickly to such events and would only require a small alteration to work around the scenario the OP envisions.

the delay in broadcasting a solution would be much the same to the network effect of bitcoin blockchain data, as a pool just not solving a block in a reasonable time... effectively.

i have seen many days where blocks are not solved in the 10 minute average, for normal expcted reasons..  and thats pretty much the same (non) 'devestation' level ICANN could cause..

a few minutes of delay..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: