Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:56:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shouldnt we be funding/supporting a mesh network ?  (Read 1556 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 01:50:39 AM

The trouble these days with the Internet is the ISPs. They are the weakest link in between us and the government.

To create a mesh around the ISPs but can still connect to the Internet is the way to go.

I believe that Bitcoin is the key to funding such a thing.

I would be fine with becoming an Internet repeater that generates Bitcoins on a pay per use type of structure.

And like many who have been looking at the pirate boxes, setting up solar powered repeaters all over town (on top of light poles, tall trees, water tower, etc.) to create a full mesh would bipass the whole need for an ISP.

If people can set up repeaters and get paid like people are getting paid to mine, we could reach the point where the mesh grid is more widely accessed than ISPs.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shamaniotastook

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:53:46 AM

The trouble these days with the Internet is the ISPs. They are the weakest link in between us and the government.

To create a mesh around the ISPs but can still connect to the Internet is the way to go.

I would be fine with becoming an Internet repeater that generates Bitcoins on a pay per use type of structure.

And like many who have been looking at the pirate boxes, setting up solar powered repeaters all over town (on top of light poles, tall trees, water tower, etc.) to create a full mesh would bipass the whole need for an ISP.

If people can set up repeaters and get paid like people are getting paid to mine, we could reach the point where the mesh grid is more widely accessed than ISPs.

now this is starting to make some sense Smiley
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:10:09 AM

it really isn't worth arguing, but just one more question and then i'll leave it alone...how long you think you're power will be on if the 'Internet' fails? again, i should just shut up, but talking about proposing any network to simply act as a 'backup' for the internet just doesn't make sense in my world...but who knows what works in your world...

I was once an electritian in a former life, and I have experience with solar arrays, dc power conversion & ham radio.  So, yeah, I think I can manage it.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:34:59 AM

Here's what you are describing:

Mesh networks can also connect to the wider commercial internet, which KC Freedom Network does right now through a central access point — a commercial data center downtown, which is housed in one of the city’s tallest buildings called Oak Tower, providing ample opportunity to beam the bits around town using a microwave transmitter.

- http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4580244/broadband-gap-google-fiber-isnt-the-only-revolution-in-kansas-city

This has nothing to do with mesh but it is a method that a wifi hotspot can charge in bitcoins:

- http://www.coindesk.com/raspberry-pi-used-to-power-bitcoin-funded-wifi-hotspot/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █