Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 07:50:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which coin has the best PoS solution?  (Read 1371 times)
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 12:17:37 PM

Its not the first time I am creating such thread, but the tech is changing and surely there are people who knows more about it. Please share your thoughts (and researches).

P.S. I beg you not to turn this thread into a PoW>PoS war and remain on-topic.

robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 1209

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 12:55:55 PM

Its not the first time I am creating such thread, but the tech is changing and surely there are people who knows more about it. Please share your thoughts (and researches).

Nice for opening this kind of topic,this is the new trend nowadays many new altcoin prefer their algo to be pos because all holders can do this simple mining of new coins compare to proof works,even newbies in the crypto currency can participate

█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
████████▄▄█▄▄█▄▄██████████▀██████
█████░░█░░█░░█░░████████████▀████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████████▀██
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
██░░█░░█░░███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀███████████████████████
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████▄▄▄██████████
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██
███████████████████████
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄█████
██████████████▄██████████
████████████████▄████████
████████████████████████
██
██████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀████
██████████████▀▀░░░░████
██████████▀▀░░░▄▀░░▐████
██████▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░░█████
████▄▄░░░▄██▀░░░░░▐█████
████████░█▀░░░░░░░██████
████████▌▐░░▄░░░░▐██████
█████████░▄███▄░░███████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 01:00:29 PM

depends on what is "best solution" to you. right now i have a few coins in pos and the one which surprised me was definitely decred. i dont know if it was the first to introduce this idea of tickets and "lottery" but i liked.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 01:03:57 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2016, 02:28:27 PM by BitcoinNational

TALK is dedicated to finding the answer ... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864994
so far no clear 'best' but many varieties of stake.

here's last months suggestions ... will up date with any good picks suggested in this thread  Wink
current schedule:

suggested POS coins by TALK community
Coin....................Rate of Return................................Developer
BitBean1000 per blockTeamBean
Blackcoin1% per year Rat4
Bottlecaps 200% per year, cap 1000per blockTranz
BTCTalkcoin15% per yearNo Dev at the moment
Bumbar=2 speed=60secBumbaCoin
CBXPoSParticipate (6%-12%) 1hr. min?
CON ?% per year?
Diamond 25% per yearDanbi
HYP750%(theoretical?) actual earn ~68.43%presstab
JBS8%, min 8 hrs, no max age but max r=4 jyap
Kobo 10% per yearTheTribesman
MetalMusic ?% per yearmamamae
Mint 10% per year, 5% in 2017Fuzzbawls
Netcoin20% - 45% per yearNetcoin Foundation
Noblecoin 8% per yearEagleFlies
Nova25% per year +POWBalthazar
Pandacoin 2.5% per yearNo Dev at the moment
PhilosopherStone 50% per yearPalmdetroit / No Dev
Piggy ?% per year?
Pot ?% per year?
Sprouts 10% per 5 DaysNo Dev at the moment
STV 10% per 5 DaysPastafarian
T3k ~20 to 40% per monthNoise23
TOP ?% per yeartopcoindude
Truckcoin200% per year, cap 200 per block Noise23
TurboStake2.74% per 2 days No Dev at the moment
ZEIT 15% per year, 5% in 2017Rent_a_Ray

Nominators

PeterI Nova
Abiky Diamond, Novacoin, and Hyperstake
kiklo whatever kiklo boot straps ;')  
cryptochainer.commost of what steve boot straps
Groggin CBX, FLY, Vcash, Decred, Medic
BN CBX, TALK, PIG, POT, JBS, Medic, STV, Whipped, PAC, SQL
crymzyn TOP

CBX Cryptobullion
fly
vcash <---incredible tech! instant tx, decentralized governance, chainblender, staking android wallet (REALLY!) decred
also staking mediccoin
perhaps worthy of consideration, NTC or NineElevenTruthcoin.
Pure PoS there is PoW, (networkkhashps 324,037,712), but the reward is small, i forget exactly, i think 1 or 5. current money supply: 135,083,774, PoS rate 110%.
 i do remember the ANN, it said that it was "created by/for a small group of european investors", and that is just about all the info i have, as the ANN has been gone for some time, and i havn't seen anything else. tradable on Cryptopia
   and when it comes to trouncing the corporate buzzards, nothing like a dash of 9-11 truth! (except no one wants to listen)
            ...and here's a link to my (very old) paper on the subject:  Cool  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-EIEoh8FDQ0Z2RvbXNyb19nN3M
                (torrent) https://kat.cr/my-country-tis-of-thee-an-open-letter-to-the-citizens-of-the-planet-t94576.html

current suggested POS coins

gradeA
BLK, PPC, NOVA, and RDD seem legit $1Million dollar POS chains but i don't stake them

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 01:05:40 PM

depends on what is "best solution" to you. right now i have a few coins in pos and the one which surprised me was definitely decred. i dont know if it was the first to introduce this idea of tickets and "lottery" but i liked.

Well, PoS has some obvious flaws so I am looking for a coin, which has reduced them. Decred is probably a good example (I am now reading their explanation on PoS), but its too early to tell (since its a bit young) if their tech would work.

EDIT:

BN, thanks for your suggestion, but there are no explanations on why? On the other hand, a lot of these coins are either abandoned or they are just worthless. The tech must be used by a lot of people to prove itself. Thanks though!

iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 04:30:23 PM

CUBE is the best if you can follow rules. There's a big guide to staking

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 04:39:05 PM

Not sure about that since it lacks adoption. So far I like how BlackCoin and VeriCoin are looking.

B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 05:03:37 PM

you could check [DNET] or Darknet it's one of the most promising POS coin. it has masternodes features from dash and is on the new bitcoincore. In fact it just switched to POS. it wasn't easy because first the distribution was made in POW. But right now the talented devs have managed it superbly.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1262920.0

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 05:09:47 PM

Piggy is a pretty good POS coin - 3%. Not seen much dev lately but did have a professional dev team tweak the POS aspects and is traded on Polo. Recently it saw a 10 fold jump and has stayed in this price territory. Hobo is also well known but I don't know if trans is still on board with dev.

I would be interested to see the page on wikipedia being extended and updated, also!

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 05:11:34 PM

Piggy is a pretty good POS coin - 3%. Not seen much dev lately but did have a professional dev team tweak the POS aspects and is traded on Polo. Recently it saw a 10 fold jump and has stayed in this price territory. Hobo is also well known but I don't know if trans is still on board with dev.

I would be interested to see the page on wikipedia being extended and updated, also!

I know greenmo. Wink

MAD945

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 05:16:48 PM

Not sure about that since it lacks adoption. So far I like how BlackCoin and VeriCoin are looking.

I think Vericoin has figure out a solution to POS with PoST, the time factor is brilliant allowing the strongest chain to always be the dominant chain. The variable interest is the most realistic for real world use.

Now with the duality of Verium and Vericoin working together on the same blockchain, a PoW and PoS supporting each other using their strengths and covering their weakness.
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 06:11:28 PM

POS, as suppose to POW,  is a much weaker solution of permissionless blockchain because it takes less effort to strengthener the network. In my opinion, POS coins have almost all the same inheritable "problems" of POW , but they arrive to these problems much faster/quicker. ie: centralized distribution, %51 attacks, pool staking, Power holders. etc.

For now: A POS algo should be ideal for services that are fine with a centralized solutions. Services who needs a slightly better efficient sql database and can afford/care less to have their data immutable. Services that will keep their POS blockchain private. Just like services use something else to communicate inside their infrastructures, that the outsides dont see.  

There is no real POS coin out there for that anyone with their right mind would invest some serious money on their network. We haven't seen a POS coin on top of any market or volume coin list or with actual usability (excluding temporarily pumps)

It is just much more stronger and secure to do any real solutions in POW, and because of that, it might be impossible for POS to survive as a permissionless blockchain solutions like POW is being offered.

Let me explain why i see it this way:

In POW, one can mine it or buy it (2x entries). In pos one has to buy it (1x entry). This along reduces the strength to keep the distribution decentralized by half. and thus increases the ability for it to be gamed in free market by double.

nothing at stake attacks.

Like NXT holder showed us, human greed will overcome. They created stake pools, where they choose a trusted entity/friend and sent their coin to their address so they combined they would have a greater stake weight. if a POS coin gains a marketcap like bitcoin's you yould have expect to see a bunch of stake pools. only they will emerge and much faster as users don't have to actually spend $$ on equipment but can just send the coins(effortless) and can quit the network with no strings attached. While a POW miner has to make sure he gain at least a close enough ROI for their miner stuff.  

The only way a POS coin could ever beat any other algos out there if it can find an a market use that must be high in demand. A market that will always have a constant fluck of new users willing to buy it from the hands of previous early adapters for the sake of usability. Not only has to find this niche of a high demand use, it has to beat it first in the market!

POScoin demand must be much much more stronger to keep the network going. Thus a POS coin must at minimum have a real answer to a real market and not a simple speculative market. aka a POS has to go at least twice the struggle to be successful as the other other POWs or bitcoins 2.0 coins that allow a later adapters to join the market via either mining or an other form of path.

Again, in my opinion, from what we have seen so far, a POS coin so far can only do this if it can beat POW to the ANNON market. ANNon is still not claimed yet and we know there will always be a demand. If a POS blockchain can achive it, then we might actually finally see a POS coin with a serious use.

My eyes(and some money) are on NAV for pos as ANN. we shall see.

kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 11:23:58 PM

@Bitwho,

If you want to have a Spirited Debate on Why PoS will Defeat PoW in the Long run, and dispel those false assumptions , you have on PoS.
Create a Forum in Discussion and PM me,  and that is all I will say here to respect the following request.

Cool
Joint Force

Activity: 804

DAO ↔ DApp

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 01:33:22 AM

I've looked at:
IBM hyperledger
Eris tendermint
Many altcoins

I'm waiting for Ethereum 2.0 PoS before I make a decision on a code base for my attempt at a "living economy"
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1593964

I need PoS and smart contracts.

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 06:03:41 AM

For now: A POS algo should be ideal for services that are fine with a centralized solutions. Services who needs a slightly better efficient sql database and can afford/care less to have their data immutable. Services that will keep their POS blockchain private. Just like services use something else to communicate inside their infrastructures, that the outsides dont see.

How about replacing bank interests (just an example)? Lets assume that you have some term deposit (i.e. holding your coins in your wallet) and you receive some interest. Then lets compare miners in PoW (only) currency with a security company, which is transfering money from your business to the bank. In the first example, you are less secured, because you are holding your funds "under the mattress" (the security is up to you and you have no expenses on it). In the second example, you are more secured, but you have expenses (the "miners" are "securing" the "network" and they are "finding blocks" (i.e. come to your business) every 6/12/24 hours). Of course you can always take your funds to the bank by yourself with relatively small expenses, but in this scenario we are talking about security.

P.S. My example applies to a "stable" currencies. We all know that not "moving" your money (i.e. to invest and such) is a bad decision and with the time they are losing their value.   

In POW, one can mine it or buy it (2x entries). In pos one has to buy it (1x entry). This along reduces the strength to keep the distribution decentralized by half. and thus increases the ability for it to be gamed in free market by double.

I can't accept this as a valid argument. Its like saying that the financiers around the world are more than the average Joe. That won't be a issue if you have wider adoption and better distribution. I think that we can all agree that majority of the people using cryptocurrencies are not familiar with the mining process.   

Again, in my opinion, from what we have seen so far, a POS coin so far can only do this if it can beat POW to the ANNON market. ANNon is still not claimed yet and we know there will always be a demand. If a POS blockchain can achive it, then we might actually finally see a POS coin with a serious use.

I don't think that the annon market is what will make cryptocurrencies successful. We all saw what happened with Monero after the news about AlphaBay. Smiley

I deliberately skipped part of your comment, because I created this thread in order to discuss the "best" (so far) solution to PoS, rather than compare it with PoW.

Cheers,
Spartak 

HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 08:18:40 AM

Doge is the best - transaction times are around some minutes. Doge is also popular in many Web sites, so people know it. PoS solution transaction average time must be not more than 2 minutes.  Grin
Dave5

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 09:44:19 AM

I know that Synereo.com is working on a POS. should be ready 2017.

❒ SWISS ALPS ❒        ▬ MINING & ENERGY ▬      ❒ SWISS ALPS ❒
█████          The Smart Mining Company           █████
Telegram █  Get a piece of COLD 6 220 238 SAM █     Twitter
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 09:50:25 AM

Doge is the best - transaction times are around some minutes. Doge is also popular in many Web sites, so people know it. PoS solution transaction average time must be not more than 2 minutes.  Grin

Doge is a PoW coin , Not Proof of Stake,   
PoS Blockspeed can run must faster than 2 minutes , some run 30 or 20 seconds.

Cool

bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 02:54:45 AM

How about replacing bank interests (just an example)? Lets assume that you have some term deposit (i.e. holding your coins in your wallet) and you receive some interest. Then lets compare miners in PoW (only) currency with a security company, which is transfering money from your business to the bank. In the first example, you are less secured, because you are holding your funds "under the mattress" (the security is up to you and you have no expenses on it). In the second example, you are more secured, but you have expenses (the "miners" are "securing" the "network" and they are "finding blocks" (i.e. come to your business) every 6/12/24 hours). Of course you can always take your funds to the bank by yourself with relatively small expenses, but in this scenario we are talking about security.

P.S. My example applies to a "stable" currencies. We all know that not "moving" your money (i.e. to invest and such) is a bad decision and with the time they are losing their value.  

I can't accept this as a valid argument. Its like saying that the financiers around the world are more than the average Joe. That won't be a issue if you have wider adoption and better distribution. I think that we can all agree that majority of the people using cryptocurrencies are not familiar with the mining process.  

I don't think that the annon market is what will make cryptocurrencies successful. We all saw what happened with Monero after the news about AlphaBay. Smiley

I deliberately skipped part of your comment, because I created this thread in order to discuss the "best" (so far) solution to PoS, rather than compare it with PoW.

Cheers,
Spartak  

in deed. i was not comparing POW and POS. because there is no comparison. a pure POS is not economical stable nor has a security.

if your looking for morphs of Proof of Stakes , than the closer you come to a "better" POS morph you will see that it will be further away from a pure POS. my post was to explain why

My post was also to let you know that if you want to see a pure POS coin successful, than the best path is a mean of use that bitcoin market has not touched yet. Annon is the only real life example of a usability, beyond speculation need of such. We need to hide our transaction. If i send a bitcoin from coinbase to poker site, my accounts gets banned because of regulations. it shouldn't be that way. There is a real marker demand for an annon coin. POS coins can try to crack that and beat everyone at it, and then cross their fingers it sticks and get the first mover's advantage.

So the question is not, which is the better POS tech, but which one is actually answering to a real problem. only those might have a chance to the future of crypto land

kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 03:33:49 AM

in deed. i was not comparing POW and POS. because there is no comparison. a pure POS is not economical stable nor has a security.

if your looking for morphs of Proof of Stakes , than the closer you come to a "better" POS morph you will see that it will be further away from a pure POS. my post was to explain why

My post was also to let you know that if you want to see a pure POS coin successful, than the best path is a mean of use that bitcoin market has not touched yet. Annon is the only real life example of a usability, beyond speculation need of such. We need to hide our transaction. If i send a bitcoin from coinbase to poker site, my accounts gets banned because of regulations. it shouldn't be that way. There is a real marker demand for an annon coin. POS coins can try to crack that and beat everyone at it, and then cross their fingers it sticks and get the first mover's advantage.

So the question is not, which is the better POS tech, but which one is actually answering to a real problem. only those might have a chance to the future of crypto land

@spartak_t ,
sorry I can only take so much.

@Bitwho
Proof of Stake will succeed Proof of Work for the following reasons,
One PoW is a failed design, BTC has proven this , The country of China has over 70% , they pretty much own it now.
They could 51% attack it on a daily basis, and their is no defense in BTC for this. BTC lives by China's Good Graces alone.
The places where ASICS miners are moving are starting to pass laws to charge the miners more for electricity because they are using more, than their electrical grids were designed for.  The permission verses permissionless argument , I totally destroyed, as it is a falsehood.

PoS is more accessible to everyone , no matter where they are than PoW.
With PoS , you actually have an intrinsic value, as the coin can make more of itself and run its network, PoW is a sterile token, that is useless without the asics.
PoS will succeed PoW, for the same reasons LTC will succeed BTC,  it is Faster and more Economical to send coins, & with PoS the fact it takes no more electricity to run than a PC.
Meaning its PoS Network can keep going when an unprofitable PoW coin will die from lack of miners.
Plus with PoS & CoinAge, Even if you buy 51% of the coins, until your coins are old enough, you still can not 51% attack a PoS coin.
Also Whenever you stake, there is a time limit set before your coins can be used again, unlike a PoW where the ASIC retain the same % mining capacity the entire time.
Also if you want to make money with PoS, you have to sell some of your Coins which decreases your future earnings.
With PoW you can sell all of your coins and keep control of the network.  Tongue

PoS = Freedom
PoW= Slavery

Your Choice.

Cool
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: