Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:15:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make your own Switched PDU.  (Read 2219 times)
ChineseSavior (OP)

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 01:49:34 PM

Good morning internet family,

I have been doing quite a bit of contemplating. Switched PDU's are hella expensive. Furthermore even if cheap most are only a measly like 20-30amp.

Which brings me to building my own PDU.

What is the deal? I am familiar with 240v wiring. I would imagine I would be fine as long as i incorporate a fuse? I couldn't realistically draw much more then 30amp per unit i build due to hardware and wire limitations (its tricky to wire 200amp main lines into a self made pdu box hard to find hardware etc)

So I have been thinking I could probably build each pdu for about $50. Which brings me to my next question. How to switch the pdu.

An easy method i am thinking is mount a board (wood) next to my electric box. A small cheap servo or actuator in place to flip said breaker (or flip the main)

additionally it would be boss if I could wire in a cell phone trigger for the actuator, as if my network drops i can reset the entire system from a cell phone (or internet i could wire both).

Any advice and pointers would be great. Switched pdus are hella expensive and i dont have gaypal or scambay. Would love to hear everyones input including how to wire a cellphone actuator or networked actuator etc Smiley

happy mining family
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fusion0389

Activity: 324

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 03:11:07 PM

I don't really have much to add aside from the fact that I like the idea. Personally, I'd like to have remote access to switch the breakers on\off in case I get a smoke alarm notification. What you're talking about could accomplish that.
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 05:35:09 PM

Yes exactly. I would like that to. In theory you could bread board the smoke alarm into the breaker switch (actuator) also so if the alarm went off it would auto shutoff until you dial into your cam system and asses the damage. The main problem i see is two things

1) parts list? Seriousy... who the heck knows? Just for the pdu you would need 8guage 240v wire. I beleive a grounding bar for the box (pdu) and I would presume another 2 bars to split the 2 hot 120v leads. how to enclose this is another story / mystery. Truthfully when all is said and done it may just be much easier to buy a basic triplite PDU and figure out something with the actuator.

2) wiring all the parts together. we almost need an expert to draw a wiring diagram for this whole thing. I know how to wire and read diagram but i am not so great with parts list and the actual schematic at my current tech level.

Help friends. We love you.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 06:01:36 PM

Here's my dream list:

#1: Turn on/off outlets is key.
#2: CT on each outlet.
#3: Temperature sensor
#4: Web interface - nothing special, just something to control and get data

I don't think it's a good idea to use a servo or actuator to reset a breaker - if you're throwing a breaker, something pretty bad is happening.  And resetting it remotely could be REALLY bad, since you don't necessarily see what caused the issue.

I use a TrippLite server PDU's, and to be honest they're pretty marginal.
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 07:43:17 PM

Here's my dream list:

I don't think it's a good idea to use a servo or actuator to reset a breaker - if you're throwing a breaker, something pretty bad is happening.  And resetting it remotely could be REALLY bad, since you don't necessarily see what caused the issue.

sorry but what do you mean about "#2: CT on each outlet."

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2016, 07:58:42 PM

I think that even though I could come up with schematics for this, you would have problems with electrical knowledge, acquiring the parts etc.
And depending how much features you want into it, the parts are gonna cost as well.

ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 08:10:32 PM

Here's my dream list:

I don't think it's a good idea to use a servo or actuator to reset a breaker - if you're throwing a breaker, something pretty bad is happening.  And resetting it remotely could be REALLY bad, since you don't necessarily see what caused the issue.

all the tripplite switched units ive seen are costly as can be or a measly 20a whih gets me nowherfe in terms of roi

as for tripping a breaker with a servo you are only tripping the breaker for one of two reasons

1) a unit needs a hard reset. aka trip the breaker and reset all easily just like if you unplugged and replugged in the pdu

2) there is a problem you see remotely and throw the breaker as a saftey precaution
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 08:12:24 PM

Here's my dream list:

all the tripplite switched units ive seen are costly as can be or a measly 20a whih gets me nowherfe in terms of roi

as for tripping a breaker with a servo you are only tripping the breaker for one of two reasons

1) a unit needs a hard reset. aka trip the breaker and reset all easily just like if you unplugged and replugged in the pdu

2) there is a problem you see remotely and throw the breaker as a saftey precaution

what r the schematics for a cheap servo throwing the main? for example. 200amp box. entire load is servers. Trip the main reset all systems. all systems running off cheap non switched pdu wired straight into box. (already have all that dont just need trip mechinism)

i can wire np

seems much simpler to do it that way then build and entire PDU. also a lot cheaper.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 08:18:18 PM

I don't know about your main breakers, but mine would take a very sturdy servo to toggle 'em over. Kicking off isn't too difficult, but kicking back on has a fair bit of pressure on it.

What about using a normally-open relay driven off some networked GPIO? Someone on here was talking a month or two about making his own networked switchable PDU and I think he got laughed off, but that seems to me a lot less jankety than wiring a servo to a cellphone and attaching it to a breakerbox.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 09:45:38 PM

SSD + rpi done deal
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 12:09:14 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2016, 12:30:05 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Search the RasPi/Audrino/BeagleBone sites for a lot of home automation projects that do just this kind of thing. Why reinvent the wheel?

Most of the projects only take the power load so far (typically 15A) but no reason you can't use their outputs to drive heftier contactors. For that matter, all server PSU's have a low power (5vdc) toggle to turn the DC on and off...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 12:28:02 AM

Especially if you use a good breakout board with an external turnon input pin.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:24:33 AM

Ja. Just have the GPIO drive some quad opto-isolators (preferably 16-pin DIP and socket so they can be replaced) and wire their outputs to the DC_ON terminals. That way the only common between the PSU's is their chassis ground so no cross-talk concerns.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:40:52 AM

Or that, yeah. It's a completely different solution to a breakout board with an external turnon input pin. My boards take an active-high signal so that wouldn't work.

MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:50:56 AM

The TrippLite ones I bought was on the secondary market, and older PDU's are generally cheap cheap cheap.  The ones I've got are 30a, which pairs fine with the outlets I'm using.  The problem I've got with the TrippLites is the web interface routinely stops working, and they only put relays on half of the 240 circuit - so if your PDU is 110/120v tolerant, it will still keep running on half a leg - super annoying and really cheesy on their part.

Personally I love (and use) the idea of being able to remotely cycle outlets - but I draw the line at remotely resetting breakers, that just seems like a bad idea.  But if you're using server grade PSU's, you can easily power cycle those (see below).

sorry but what do you mean about "#2: CT on each outlet."

CT = Current Transducer - so you know how many amps each outlet is pulling...

SSD + rpi done deal

You wouldn't need an SSD, just use the MicroSD the RPI uses...

If you're looking for just a cheap/ready made solution, you could use an ethernet relay box, like these:

http://amzn.to/2bCPHku

I used them before, and almost all of the breakout boards have a pin header as well as a power switch, so you just hook up the relay to the power pin header and voila, you have 8 switched breakouts.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:52:52 AM

Or that, yeah. It's a completely different solution to a breakout board with an external turnon input pin. My boards take an active-high signal so that wouldn't work.
Actually, I thinking of/referring to using a badge on the um, call it it 'Hobbyist" CPU board with the optos on it to drive yers or other breakouts. Just use 2 jumpers feeding the LED side to select active hi or low per bank of 4 in the opto chip. edit: or have a software switch for active high low...

Dunna have to solder to the PSU pins like you saw on the HP's you got with the CARE package from me. Wink

edit 2: Ah. Brain fart. You mean your break out is a sink and want a source to drive it. Back to jumpers to select source/sink at the optos, this time perhaps feeding the typical +5vdc always-on aux voltage the psu provides to each one to maintain isolation? Still just makes at worst a 3-wire connection between the breakout and opto board.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:09:13 AM

Surely some of that would work, yeah. I think chigiuretor (or however he spells it, been doing business with him for like two years you'd think I'd remember by now) has been setting 'em up for remote turnon/off for a while. I wonder what he does.

But anyways none of those DC-side solutions would work if there were an issue with the mains feed, in which case you'd want control of an AC disconnect and that gets a bit more complex.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:09:44 AM

Hmm. how much leakage current can your DC_ON input take before it turns on?

Ust 2 wires per PSU and opto output assuming simple NPN:
the AUX 3 or 5v (also have seen 12v) from PSU to opto collector
Emitter from opto to you breakout.
Instant opto ON = Vsource ON  fed to the breakout but depending on the load a breakout presents, possibly not always opto OFF = exactly Vsource OFF.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:19:33 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2016, 03:02:46 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Ya know... All of this just screams to me get a small PLC from Automation direct.com and lose all the falderall. Something such as http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers

It's um, part of the voodoo I do so well...

Cheap (ish). Utterly reliable. hugely expandable with standardized modules. Can integrate other sensors such as fire/smoke/temps, etc. Can be a web-server if remote is desired. Ja is programmed in ladder logics but so what? After all for the most part is is just a mass of switches and coils in software. very linear and obvious programming as in X1 in controls Cwhatever Wink

Thinking cap on. Always dangerous...
If I do it for other than myself -- will provide switched 24vdc to contactor coils for power loads.
DISCLAIMER of liability: What and how YOU wire said contactors to is beyond my control (not liable for idiots and chicken-wire/duct tape types). Consult a licensed electrician.

Also will provide low power sink or source IO in banks of either 16 or 32 channels per module.

Touch screen panel for it? Maybe.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:38:03 AM

As a comp sci, oh man I hate ladder logic. Ladder logic sucks balls for complex tasks. But yeah for reacting to sensors it actually kinda makes sense.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: