Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:27:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralization is a dream  (Read 1013 times)
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2016, 02:14:15 PM

Not larger, better. There are ways to create a PoS cryptocurrency with fair interest and supply, which can match (for example) to mined bitcoins per year. 

Maybe when you own some and just hold it, but how will people get that supply if they don't purchase some? That's pretty scammy (ponzi'ish) to me I would say... and yet at the same time, not even remotely close security wise compared to a PoW algorithm. It sounds good to you on paper when you worry about collecting interest like a bank, but the whole point of cryptocurrencies is to get away from a "banking" like system and to create a decentralized currency that (theoretically) anyone can get by running nodes and mining, while also making it secure and decentralized.

Now in my mind, ASIC resistance is the way to go... but could be wrong.

The thread is not about current pros and cons of PoW and PoS. Of course that you have to purchase some in order to take the interest. What matters here is how this interest will be distributed (i.e. currently PoS is making rich richer) between stakeholders. The whole point of cryptocurrencies is to compete with fiat (i.e. to show it is the better way), which means that they are competing with the banks. As far as I know there is nothing decentralized at the moment and that is why I started this thread. I'm not sure if it will be ever achieved. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 02:40:04 PM

Not larger, better. There are ways to create a PoS cryptocurrency with fair interest and supply, which can match (for example) to mined bitcoins per year. 

but how will people get that supply if they don't purchase some? That's pretty scammy (ponzi'ish) to me I would say...
that apply to pow too... how would you mine without the hardware? and if you can buy the hardware you can buy the coin and stake right? no diference..
but @spartark_t already said this is not the thread subject so i will not continue.
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2016, 04:47:48 PM

Don't buy promises, roadmaps and whitepapers, buy the project's usage!  

Wrong, buying the hype turned out to be the most profitable way out there Wink

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2016, 05:02:13 PM

Don't buy promises, roadmaps and whitepapers, buy the project's usage!  

Wrong, buying the hype turned out to be the most profitable way out there Wink

Sure. You also have a better chance to get rich quicker by enslaving few Eastern european girls and force them into prostitution, than working in a fish plant.

Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 07:02:41 PM

Maybe when you own some and just hold it, but how will people get that supply if they don't purchase some? That's pretty scammy (ponzi'ish) to me I would say... and yet at the same time, not even remotely close security wise compared to a PoW algorithm. It sounds good to you on paper when you worry about collecting interest like a bank, but the whole point of cryptocurrencies is to get away from a "banking" like system and to create a decentralized currency that (theoretically) anyone can get by running nodes and mining, while also making it secure and decentralized.

Now in my mind, ASIC resistance is the way to go... but could be wrong.

The thread is not about current pros and cons of PoW and PoS. Of course that you have to purchase some in order to take the interest. What matters here is how this interest will be distributed (i.e. currently PoS is making rich richer) between stakeholders. The whole point of cryptocurrencies is to compete with fiat (i.e. to show it is the better way), which means that they are competing with the banks. As far as I know there is nothing decentralized at the moment and that is why I started this thread. I'm not sure if it will be ever achieved. 

Without redistribution everything gets centralized roughly along the lines of the Pareto Principle...
80% of sales from 20% of clients, 80% of wealth owned by 20% of population, etc...
Because that's human nature... and you cannot change human nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

For anything to be differently distributed requires heavy-handed, corrupt central abuse...
So by that standard Bitcoin and most Third World governments are extremely corrupt...
While most Western governments and corporations are are moderately corrupt, but getting worse every year.

I've been waiting for a crypto ecosystem to apply periodic REDISTRIBUTION based on meritocracy...
And Steemit talks a lot about transferring wealth to contributors from non-contributors in their Whitepaper...
Plus only Steemit has the metrics and power to do a periodic redistribution among holders...
If they did a carefully weighted, logarithmic redistribution quarterly to ALL contributors (devs, content, users, voters, traders)...

It would be radical and electrifying.

BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 07:05:21 PM

fish plant ... LOLZ ... I live in a region total dependent on the fish plant factor ... how many can you gut/hr?  robots will aid!  contigent on raping the local natural resources, of course.

Yes decentralization is a dream.  No coin is near BTC except ETH and ... well ... that project is garbage.

All other contenders are built on the same BTC model of constructing a POW that can be compromised by Chinese tech driven ASIC hardware.

Everything else is dependent on holding BTC to underwrite their project.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
Gaugh

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 09:05:48 PM

I think Monero has got some inbuilt features that Bitcoin does not have, so that means it's not built on the Bitcoin framework.
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 11:25:01 PM

I think Monero has got some inbuilt features that Bitcoin does not have, so that means it's not built on the Bitcoin framework.

agree. And DNM will probably bring the adoption needed...
but still not even near to decentralization.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: