Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:47:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QT hangs at the "done loading" screen after upgrade to 0.13.0  (Read 2844 times)
wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 05:21:08 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2017, 01:20:59 PM by wachtwoord

I just upgraded to 0.13.0 from 0.10.2 and when I try to start it it hangs and crashes before the GUI is fully loaded on the "done loading" screen. Is there any way for me to avoid a (slow and long) reindex? Sad

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2016, 05:42:47 PM

Is that all that's in the log? Does it hang and then you kill it, or does it crash by itself?

wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 05:46:45 PM

Is that all that's in the log? Does it hang and then you kill it, or does it crash by itself?

Well there's a lot above it as I never clean it up. There's nothing below.

The window looks like in the screenshot (not responding) in windows if you then clock the window it starts to "look for a solution" and then gives you a window to exit the crashed application.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2016, 06:42:09 PM

There doesn't seem to be an apparent cause for this crash from what I can see. I also doubt that it's a hardware problem as it would likely crash sooner (although still possible).

The window looks like in the screenshot (not responding) in windows if you then clock the window it starts to "look for a solution" and then gives you a window to exit the crashed application.
This is Windows 7 right? Did this happen once or multiple times or does it make you do a reindex after the first crash? You can speed up a reindex by increasing your dbcache, however this error my not be a singular event.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 06:59:55 PM

There doesn't seem to be an apparent cause for this crash from what I can see. I also doubt that it's a hardware problem as it would likely crash sooner (although still possible).

This is Windows 7 right? Did this happen once or multiple times or does it make you do a reindex after the first crash? You can speed up a reindex by increasing your dbcache, however this error my not be a singular event.

I tried it twice and haven't started the re-index yet as I hope people know another way to resolve this. Does it have merit to try it a third time?
wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 08:26:20 PM

I am able to run bitcoind in daemon mode and communicate with it with bitcoin-cl. However after responding to a few "getinfo" requests it stopped responding. Does this info help at all?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2016, 09:22:38 PM

-snip-
Interesting, but still doesn't tell us much.

BTW I run Bitcoin-qt with the following parameters: "F:\[censored]\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=F:\[censored] --checkblocks=10
Does the checkblocks have any influence on the crash?
I don't think it should. You could try once again with that parameter removed.

If I want to re-index I need to append -reindex -dbcache=2048 correct? I have 8 GB of RAM, how high should I put dbcache for the best result?
Yes, that would set the dbcache to ~2GB. I think that's fine on a 8 GB system as long as you don't do anything that requires a lot of RAM during the reindex.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't bump your own thread like this more than once in 24 hours. Use the edit button.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
wachtwoord (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 12:19:32 AM

And at the sixth random restart attempt it worked, loaded and synced. No idea why it worked now and not before. I hope it will be fine after a restart too. Thanks to everyone helping!
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 07:11:49 AM

That's strange. However, I've seen this happen with different programs and it would be really hard to discover what (temporarily) went wrong. Let us know if it happens again, or if you need anything else. Good luck with the new client; I still haven't upgraded.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: