Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 04:29:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulk block chain download from trusted source?  (Read 1697 times)
DTD (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:29:37 PM

The crawl of the block chain is a major barrier to entry for new Bitcoin users. At one point I had the entire thing ready to go on another machine, but I ended up changing operating systems on it.

What I can tell you is that I've tried to get new people to use Bitcoin, only to be told that it was too much of a hassle due specifically to the block chain. Now that I'm trying to get started with Bitcoin again I'm finding that that is indeed the case. It would take me over a week to prepare my wallet for use, all while crippling my computer in the process with the heavy load of download/verification that takes place at the speed of smell.

I cannot be assed to go through that much trouble. Bitcoin is an amazing software and I really like it, but if I can't bypass this bottleneck without a degree in computer engineering then I'm going to move on. Is there any way to easily overcome this hurdle?
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:36:26 PM

The crawl of the block chain is a major barrier to entry for new Bitcoin users. At one point I had the entire thing ready to go on another machine, but I ended up changing operating systems on it.

What I can tell you is that I've tried to get new people to use Bitcoin, only to be told that it was too much of a hassle due specifically to the block chain. Now that I'm trying to get started with Bitcoin again I'm finding that that is indeed the case. It would take me over a week to prepare my wallet for use, all while crippling my computer in the process with the heavy load of download/verification that takes place at the speed of smell.

I cannot be assed to go through that much trouble. Bitcoin is an amazing software and I really like it, but if I can't bypass this bottleneck without a degree in computer engineering then I'm going to move on. Is there any way to easily overcome this hurdle?

Not as of yet.  You could use a client that doesn't download the entire blockchain, but that sort of defeats the purpose.  Look at Electrum -- I've never used it, but it could be helpful.

In the future I see methods where you could get the blockchain (up to a certain date) from newsgroups, a torrent, maybe BTC vending machines will copy it to a USB key for you. 

You could use blockchain.info as a wallet until your blockchain downloads, then move your BTC onto your new cold wallet (assuming it's not connected to the internet).

RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:38:51 PM

look at
http://bitcoin.org/en/

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: