Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:49:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon PSU works on 230V?  (Read 897 times)
Tyger (OP)

Activity: 141
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:05:17 PM

Can anyone confirm that the Avalon PSU works on 230 volt too?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kuma

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:18:23 PM

Yep, there are many Avalon users in EU  Smiley. Avalon uses standard computer PSU (most of them are 100V - 240V compatible).
Tyger (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:29:55 PM

plug and play or dipswitch or something?
mik3

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:34:00 PM

Yes, PSUs have a little switch on the back to switch between the voltages.
Tyger (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:35:46 PM

not all of them, thats why im asking.
vvic

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:44:16 PM

modern PSUs do not have that little red switch anymore. It is automatic. Avalon uses standard computer PSU, so yes, it will work in Europe just fine.
eestimees

Activity: 651
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:47:19 PM

i'm in EU, I got proper cable and proper psu.. plug and play.. right now i made a webpage, that plays a coin-drop sound effect each time it mine an euro (calculates mined btc's and current exchangerate), nice Smiley

eestimees
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:08:09 PM

in the US what kinda plug outlet would you need for 220V?
Odi

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:02:42 AM

I was actually researching the same thing recently after seeing 80 PLUS having better efficiency on 230V

An electric dryer / stove socket would likely be NEMA 14 in newer homes, where there are two 120V lines with 180 degree phase difference, creating 240V.  Older homes would use NEMA 10.

I found these adapters which are meant for electric vehicle charging.  Then you could use a rackmount cable to connect to the PSU.

What's been stopping me is that the 2% gain in efficiency is only worth it if you are drawing a lot of power, having to put the machine in a specific room or pay an electrician to wire another socket to the room you want.

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:34:28 AM

I was actually researching the same thing recently after seeing 80 PLUS having better efficiency on 230V

An electric dryer / stove socket would likely be NEMA 14 in newer homes, where there are two 120V lines with 180 degree phase difference, creating 240V.  Older homes would use NEMA 10.

I found these adapters which are meant for electric vehicle charging.  Then you could use a rackmount cable to connect to the PSU.

What's been stopping me is that the 2% gain in efficiency is only worth it if you are drawing a lot of power, having to put the machine in a specific room or pay an electrician to wire another socket to the room you want.
You *could* use a dryer plug (NEMA 10, or NEMA 14) but that'd be complete overkill.
You would be fine with a NEMA 6-15P. (Rated up to 15A at 250V, far more than a single Avalon will pull)

Converting a 120v circuit to 240v yourself is actually pretty easy, you just need to make sure you account for everything on the circuit.  Most residential circuits have a combination of receptacles and lights connected; ideally you find a circuit with no lighting and as few receptacles as possible, cut the power at the load center, replace all the receptacles with 6-15R or 6-20R depending on wire gauge, then replace the circuit breaker with a double pole breaker and connect both conductors to the breaker and you're good to go.  If you want to comply with the National Electrical Code then I believe you need to put a piece of black or red electrical tape on the white (previously) neutral wire to indicate it being a hot.
*disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you electrocute yourself. Wink

I don't think the difference in efficiency between running a PSU at 120 vs 240 really warrants doing this unless you're running a lot of units though. (and in that case you may need to use 240v or run a new circuit to avoid overloading the existing circuit @ 120v)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: