Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:26:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore1 - New Short Lead Time Preorder  (Read 11604 times)
wBlaza1

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:00:42 PM

This board also has the capability to do Litecoin and some customers are looking at that.

Can you elaborate on that, AFAIK ltc requires some amount of ram to be mined. Cairnsmore1 does not have built in memory or any ddr3 capable slot.

There are a few possibilities and none will be as good as some of our other products with better memory interfaces. There is also a question of how much memory is actually required. I have seen a wide range of numbers from people in this forum so that is something to established.

Possibility1

CM1 contains logic only and works with a host processor that has software and memory. Bandwidth of USB will be a major limit.

Possibility2

1,2, or 3 FPGAs on CM1 are used as memory. We get about 700KB per FPGA when used as memory.

Possibility3

The up/down interface is used to support a custom memory board. There are 18 wires available to make this connection which are never going to compete with a direct DDR3 interface but the add-on board could be a very large memory size. 100GB would be possible but maybe not cheap.

Outside of these possibilites there are further hybrids of these ideas e.g. use one FPGA as a cache with larger memory as add on board.

Bear in mind the original Litecoin point was made in a different tread in the context of people thinking ASIC would kill CM1 Bitcoin mining profitability and this was something else to do with these boards it is never going to be the best solution possible. Almost any FPGA board will have Litecoin capability but not necessarily huge performance.

If you want Litecoin miner we probably already have better boards already in the product range for this purpose although prices may scare you as they never priced/designed for this market. They just happen to be possible better fits to the requirement. So far all of this conjecture. Most people have looked at what software does to do this processing and there may be entirely better ways in a FPGA than just converting a software function into FPGA hardware functions. Such radical thinking actually needs to be done by someone who knows FPGAs very well and probably software pretty well too so it is not going to be a simple or quick task to do this sort of analysis/design quickly. I am not going to promise any timelines but it is one task we are hoping to get some time on. However our design team are very loaded in the 2-3 month span and probably no way that will happen here in the short term.

Hello, can you specify: "If you want Litecoin miner we probably already have better boards already in the product range for this purpose" ? I´m interested in price of this product and possible hashrate if you know it (even i know that your product is not "litecoinminer" like CM is for BTC, I´m just curious about it :-) )
thanks
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:39:01 AM

Short update. We have sent out emails with timing and asking for deposits to those who were on tne list before we put it on hold. Once we have the response to that sorted out we will at opening the preorder again. There was the odd bounce back from full mails boxes so do check them.

We are over-busy this week launching a new product into manufacture and before you ask it isn't for bitcoin. Consequently there is a large stack of emails to catch up on and that will take a few days to catch up on these. So we are not ignoring you it just a question of hours in the day. Having just done 24hr working day I won't be doing too much more today.   
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 11:18:31 PM

Merely FYI, here's the active thread current CM1 owners are using:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78239.2440
yohan (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 09:50:58 AM

We will be trying to catch on the emails this weekend going maybe into Monday/Tuesday so do bear with us. Unseen by all outside of Enterpoint things are happening on the preorder build and we know more every day of how it will pan out on the time lines.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:08:01 AM

Everyone should have had a response now to their preorder enquiry and if you think you have been missing do check your spam box and if nothing is there send us another email.

Preorder is open again for further orders.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:01:57 PM

Everyone that has contacted us should now have been offered a shipping promise. The assembly line is now running and the first orders should start getting dispatched in 1-2 weeks time. To make life more simple for us in May we will probably close the preorder at the end of April and anything ordered after then may have longer lead time.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:14:03 AM

Preorder closes on 30th April for 1 month to reduce our admin load whilst we get on with testing and shipping units.
dodegkr

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:19:29 PM

Yohan,

Given my preorder paperwork says 2/6weeks how is it going, just curious.

Also wondering which existing product you think litecoin would be suited to.

dod
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:38:03 AM

Given my preorder paperwork says 2/6weeks how is it going, just curious.

on the same boat, hope it will be soon.)
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:03:43 AM

I am interested in the pre-order how to get on the lists? thanks

Dan
yohan (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:26:09 PM

Currently we believe we are on schedule for everyone on the list. First units of this batch have now reached our burn-in test and those will start to ship out shortly. Please check your spam boxes regularly until you get the request for final payment.
AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:56:39 AM

What's the turnaround if I order today? Andy

yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:46:18 AM

If you are very quick then we can sneek you onto the preorder. We have not finished on component ordering so whilst that isn't complete we can handle a few more orders. Currently shipping promise is dropping to 5 weeks and may go down a little more but that has limitations in terms that once we reach a certain level of orders our stock of certain componenrts run out and we then have component lead times will force out our promise dates.
AndyRossy

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:33:08 PM

If you are very quick then we can sneek you onto the preorder. We have not finished on component ordering so whilst that isn't complete we can handle a few more orders. Currently shipping promise is dropping to 5 weeks and may go down a little more but that has limitations in terms that once we reach a certain level of orders our stock of certain componenrts run out and we then have component lead times will force out our promise dates.

Yep, sent pm, give me info for where to send the money Smiley

Andy
dodegkr

Activity: 55

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:13:27 PM

most likely want to email the preorder address at enterpoint, its up the thread.

I have empty usb ports hungry for fpga goodness....2/6 weeks is sooo long when your waiting lol
AndyRossy

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:48:00 PM

most likely want to email the preorder address at enterpoint, its up the thread.

I have empty usb ports hungry for fpga goodness....2/6 weeks is sooo long when your waiting lol

Done this Wink
yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:51:38 PM

For those of you outside the UK it is a public holiday here on Monday. Office will be closed and limited email responses as a result.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:55:13 AM

General update. Some early preorders shipped last week and that will step up a little this week. We expect our larger order of FPGAs to arrive with us late next week and that will kick off the main part of this preorder build. That should translate in larger numbers of boards shipping about the last week of May going into the first week of June so do watch out for final payment requests about then.
shawtux

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:28:47 PM

im interested!! it looks better than the lancelot Sad
thegoldbug

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:48:38 PM

Interested, any updates in the last two weeks?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: