Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:00:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.5BTC Bounty for anyone able to walk me through getting my paper wallet setup  (Read 1599 times)
steelboy (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:19:26 PM

I am getting incredibly frustrated at my lack of technical ability and am willing to pay .5btc for someone to help me for an hour or two.

This is my situation at present.

1. I have an old macbook pro that has the specs: 2GB 1067Mhz DDR3

2. I have just bought an Asus EEE PC Series with Intel 900MHz, 630MHz 0.99 GB RAM running XP with no CD drive

3. I have a 16GB memory stick

I would like to be in this situation

1. Have an offline computer (Asus) that is running Ubuntu and the Armoury.

2. Understand how to set up an Armoury wallet and have funded and removed the funds successfully a couple of times.

3. Understand how to set up a watching wallet with an online computer. (Is this even possible with a mac?)

If anyone wants to undertake this with me PM me and i will be in touch. Ideally i would like to work over the phone as i find it mush easier to follow when actually talking to people.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:27:37 PM

I do not believe there is any mac installations that are easy to do.

"There are no official releases of Armory for Mac/OSX, because of the difficulty of packaging applications for it.  If you are not afraid of the command line (terminal), then you can follow the instructions on the Building Armory from Source page."
https://bitcoinarmory.com/get-armory/

Are you familar with Ubuntu? If the computer will stay offline, why bother? The risk of downloading a virus isn't there, unless it comes in the way of your usb stick. I'd stick with something you are familar with, and at most fresh install the OS with a PAID version if windows, not downloaded torrent.

steelboy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:32:37 PM

I think i have just been recommended Ubuntu but I suppose this is not a must-have.

So will i need to buy a PC for the online computer too?

Thing is I have been a mac user for years and iI can't even find my way around Windows. lol
n0rupp

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:46:05 PM

Create it in the Blockchain wallet? https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-tutorial
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 01:55:10 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2013, 02:16:23 PM by etotheipi

I think i have just been recommended Ubuntu but I suppose this is not a must-have.

So will i need to buy a PC for the online computer too?

Thing is I have been a mac user for years and iI can't even find my way around Windows. lol

There will be mac binaries soon.  We just recently figured out how to package it.  If you want to do it right now, though, you would have to follow Red Emerald's brew formula (which involves opening a terminal and typing a few commands).  Obviously, the package would be better, but it's not ready yet.

You can use any OS online and any OS offline that runs Armory.  The data moving between them is platform-independent.

For the system without an OS, I recommend installing Ubuntu 10.04-32bit and using the offline bundle (which can be found here).  The reason for that is that if you want the offline computer to never touch the internet then you need to have a few dependencies installed in Linux for Armory to work right (that's what the offline bundle has).

If there's no DVD drive, you can make a bootable USB key installer.  You could use your 16 GB key once, wipe it just to get the OS installed, then go back to using it for other things.  Download Ubuntu 10.04-32bit CD image (the "PC (Intel x86)" link at the top).  If making the USB installer in Linux, you can find the "Startup Disk Creator" application (google for it for your particular linux version), if you have access to a windows machine I recommend unetbootin for making the USB.  If mac... I don't recommend doing that in Mac, as I just googled it and it looks like it can be complicated (but here's a link so you can try).

The nice thing about the offline bundle is:  once you have Linux installed and you copy the offline bundle onto that system, you just run the install script and Armory works.  That's it!  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

The bold-ed detail is making me want you to check whether or not you're on a Macbook with an Intel CPU. If you are on a PowerPC based Macbook, the new effort to create an easily installed Armory won't work for you, or at least it would surprise me if it did. Those that are more familiar with Macs than myself may be able to set us straight here (I'm not sure that the python based nature of Armory may sidestep this, plus whether or not a Bitcoin Qt build exists for PowerPC)

Check by clicking the Apple logo in the top left, then clicking "About this Mac". It will tell you either that it's PowerPC based or Intel based.

Vires in numeris
steelboy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:34:42 PM

The bold-ed detail is making me want you to check whether or not you're on a Macbook with an Intel CPU. If you are on a PowerPC based Macbook, the new effort to create an easily installed Armory won't work for you, or at least it would surprise me if it did. Those that are more familiar with Macs than myself may be able to set us straight here (I'm not sure that the python based nature of Armory may sidestep this, plus whether or not a Bitcoin Qt build exists for PowerPC)

Check by clicking the Apple logo in the top left, then clicking "About this Mac". It will tell you either that it's PowerPC based or Intel based.

It's an intel model Smiley
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:21:37 PM

It's an intel model Smiley

you're almost certainly fine then. Apple machines can still be problematic with old versions of OS X and Bitcoin Qt, I believe only 10.6 onwards is confirmed to work with Bitcoin Qt 0.7, check that too. Not sure what the OS backwards-compatibility is like for 0.8, haven't been near a Mac recently to necessitate knowing. If you're on 10.4 or less, I believe that's a definite no-go.

Vires in numeris
steelboy (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:02:47 PM

I am looking to do this Wednesday morning GMT. Maybe start around 9 or 10am.

Anyone up for it?
13Charlie

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:32:59 PM

See this Armory offline wallets page.

Also here's a tutorial that I'm writing for friends/family. Let me know your thoughts.

Hi

I have looked at your tutorial and am stuck at literally the first step. Sad

I will happily pay for somebody to walk me through the process of getting this set up. Actually i think i might make a thread for this. I will link to it when its up

Sorry I took so long to reply. It looks like the best course of action for you is as follows. Anyone else reading this please jump in here and correct me if I am wrong or you have a better idea.

Offline computer - Use the already installed OS (XP) If this computer never sees the internet again, it will work great with Armory on Windows - Installing Ubuntu is not incredibly necessary, especially since you're not sure how to do this. Save yourself the trouble.

Watching only wallet - You can import your Armory wallet backup to a blockchain.info wallet. (Tutorial needed as I can't seem to find it right now) Since Armory for your Mac is not so easy to install, again save yourself the trouble.

No signature necessary
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 09:38:17 PM

The thread title says paper wallet, but it looks like you are actually wanting offline wallets. Are you just referring to the printed backups?

Is your online Mac being used for anything but armory? It is possible to install Ubuntu on a Mac and then dealing with installing Armory would be easier.

steelboy (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:45:06 PM

Yeah my mac is my main computer that I uelse for everything. It's not massively fast and freezes a lot.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 12:34:24 PM

Yeah my mac is my main computer that I uelse for everything. It's not massively fast and freezes a lot.

Red Emerald's suggestion is probably a sensible one then, if a little radical from your perspective. Remember that Apple used to send you OS X updates, they probably stopped that a while back now. This means any security improvements in Apple's OS are passing you by, and the only solution is to replace it, sadly. A stripped down version of Ubuntu (LXDE is not a bad choice) would probably breathe some life into the machine, and get you all the latest security based software updates, too. Or you could get the new version of OS X instead, but it'll cost you, of course

Vires in numeris
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 12:36:46 AM

So...

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: