Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:21:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with Coinbase! Please help. If wrong thread, please advise.  (Read 597 times)
bigasic (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 07:47:28 PM

I have a good friend that had a few bitcoins sent to his email address and he had an account at coinbase, he hasn't been there in a while and either forgot his password or had some other issue. Hes been given the runaround for a year. Hes talked to support and they give him the same run a round, now, this person is technologically challenged. But I need to help him retrieve his coins, he has what I consider mor than just a few, but not a ton. Still worth a lot of money.

What should I do to help him? Obviously my  ip or email won't work, but I'm at a loss on what he should do.

Bottom line is that he can't access his account.

Please help or advise.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2016, 08:03:52 PM

Sounds like a service problem. People here can't help you at all whatsoever. The only people that can are Coinbase, and if they won't help, then nothing can be done.

n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 08:11:13 PM

I have a good friend that had a few bitcoins sent to his email address and he had an account at coinbase, he hasn't been there in a while and either forgot his password or had some other issue. Hes been given the runaround for a year. Hes talked to support and they give him the same run a round, now, this person is technologically challenged. But I need to help him retrieve his coins, he has what I consider mor than just a few, but not a ton. Still worth a lot of money.

What should I do to help him? Obviously my  ip or email won't work, but I'm at a loss on what he should do.

Bottom line is that he can't access his account.

Please help or advise.

Thanks

Does he remember the email address that is associated with the coinbase account? Have you tried to reset the password of the coinbase account or you can't access it because of the 2FA, what have you tried guys until now? We can suggest these things otherwise coinbase support it's final decision.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 09:28:21 PM

They are not his bitcoins.  That is not how Coinbase works.

With Coinbase (and any other "account" providing third-party service), you do not have or control any bitcoins at all.

Instead, the service gives you one of their own bitcoin addresses. You then share that address with people that are sending payment and the payment gets sent to a wallet owned and controlled by that service.  This means that all those bitcoins belong to the service, and are completely under the control of the service.

In exchange for these free bitcoins, the service gives you a promise that they will send an equivalent amount of their own bitcoins wherever you ask them to whenever you ask them to.  The service provides you with an "account statement" where you can keep track of how many of the service's bitcoins the service is willing to allow you to make requests about.

Unfortunately, this means that you must rely on that service upholding their promise.  You also must keep aware of any and all rules that the service may have implemented to restrict your access to their bitcoins.

That being said, as has already been pointed out, there is nobody here that can help you.  You'll have to talk to Coinbase and find out what if anything you or your friend can do to meet their requirements and regain access to those bitcoins.  If they refuse to help, and you or your friend believe that you have a legal right to access those bitcoins, then it will become necessary to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit.
bigasic (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 10:36:38 PM

I figured it would have to be done with coinbase, but he's using a different computer and different ip address, since they were deposited to his email address thats connected to coinbase. I sent him a little btc and found the email as proof, i even found a btc address he used to send a little as well.

My buddy is very computer illiterate, i know its hard to believe that some people are so technologically challenged. I know that coinbase wont talk to me, but i thought I've seen coinbase support come here and answer questions, etc. He just had btc sent to his email address, all he needs is to be able to log into the account and they should be there, ill do my best with support. I hope i can help him..

Thanks for the responses.
pcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 05:19:31 AM

You are in the right thread, in my own opinion trying to reach out to support is the only option, you should not make an attempt to hack into their system because it will affects many but your friend might employ the service of social media by asking lots of people to tweet about his problem quoting his account email, coinbase might be moved by then.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 04:49:49 PM

If password reset is not working wait till coinbase support replies, why don't you just email them using your friends email address and try to recover it yourself if your friend doesn't know how to talk to support and what to ask for. If you are good friend than he may also give you few bitcoin if you able to recover it. Good luck

Do you have bitcoin address of your friend where those old bitcoins are sended? and are they still there, if so than you may be able to recover it.
zend7

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 06:03:45 AM

I figured it would have to be done with coinbase, but he's using a different computer and different ip address, since they were deposited to his email address thats connected to coinbase. I sent him a little btc and found the email as proof, i even found a btc address he used to send a little as well.

My buddy is very computer illiterate, i know its hard to believe that some people are so technologically challenged. I know that coinbase wont talk to me, but i thought I've seen coinbase support come here and answer questions, etc. He just had btc sent to his email address, all he needs is to be able to log into the account and they should be there, ill do my best with support. I hope i can help him..

Thanks for the responses.

The only ones who can help are the Coinbase support guys and gals. Unfortunately we all know the problems when you are relying on a third party services.

Here is a thread why you should not ever use any web online wallet, it explains problems of it very well, you can go for electrum which is a good wallet.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1619176.0
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 08:31:25 AM

The only ones who can help are the Coinbase support guys and gals. Unfortunately we all know the problems when you are relying on a third party services.

Here is a thread why you should not ever use any web online wallet, it explains problems of it very well, you can go for electrum which is a good wallet.
Yes, using online wallets must be equivalent of refusing one of the greatest feature of bitcoin system, 'trustless'. Still, almost all bitcoiners go for online wallets with the reason of 'using bitcoins in PayPal way'. But many exchanges had proved how dangerous this could be.

This thread must be an essential guide for beginners as well for experienced. But, why you are keeping it locked, that is the reason it lacks in spreading awareness.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: