Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:23:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Polish bank accounts?  (Read 5266 times)
aes1 (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:17:07 AM

Every single bitcoin exchange that supports transfers in the EU seems to do that through a Polish bank - even if there's no apparent connection between the exchange and Poland.

I wonder why. Are the SEPA transaction fees lowest there? Is there less bureaucracy? Why not some other EU country?
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:31:24 AM

Why not some other EU country?

It isn't just the same country, it is the same bank, right?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:40:33 AM

Every single bitcoin exchange that supports transfers in the EU seems to do that through a Polish bank - even if there's no apparent connection between the exchange and Poland.

I wonder why. Are the SEPA transaction fees lowest there? Is there less bureaucracy? Why not some other EU country?

Not true. Bitstamp.net is based in Slovenia, and one of the largest European exchanges to my knowledge.

Certainly Eastern European countries will be favoured as there are few fewer regulations there compared with the FSA of the UK say.
NABiT

Activity: 318
Merit: 259

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:22:44 AM

Slightly OT

It's the Slovenia bit that bothers me, I am a fan of Bitstamp, I use them, very useable site but Slovenian banks are not in the healthiest of condition.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2301214/Slovenian-bailout-inevitable-Second-tiny-EU-state-caught-fallout-Cyprus-banks-crisis.html

bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:50:02 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2013, 11:58:12 PM by bernard75

It is the Bank Zachodni WBK S.A. in Poland belonging to the Santander Group.
As to why it is chosen by the 2 largest Bitcoin exchanges and many more i can only speculate, because its certainly not the fees nor their services. There are many banks in Poland offering much less bureaucracy and better customer support.
It might be the loyalty, since MtGox took over an account there, while prolly being rejected by most banks back in the days.
It might be because its impossible to chargeback from them.
But most probably its a fact known just to friends of DPR. Wink
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:20:59 PM

Which exchanges use that bank?  Just Mt. Gox, or does BITSTAMP use it also?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

NABiT

Activity: 318
Merit: 259

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:46:02 PM

Bitstamp uses Unicredit Banka Slovenija

bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:48:08 PM

beat me to it
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:50:23 PM

Which exchanges use that bank?  Just Mt. Gox, or does BITSTAMP use it also?
Bitcoin-24.com uses it
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 04:45:40 PM

They all use the bank zachodni because german banks close bank accounts if you trade with the wrong bitcoin user. It happened to many and im glad i read about it before risking my account. It would mean a lot of work and trouble.
They do this because they fear connection to money laundering. In order to not have work they close the account. There are enough other users that dont mean a risk or work.
Heres a thread about it. Unfortunately in german: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=98434.0

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:10:55 PM

Bitstamp uses Unicredit Banka Slovenija

If I use Unicredit bank account but from another country, would that still give me low fees on wires?
bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:15:23 PM

They are EU so SEPAs are free.
manicminer

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:34:28 AM

They all use the bank zachodni because german banks close bank accounts if you trade with the wrong bitcoin user.
How can a bank know with which bitcoin user I traded? Where can I read such issues in English? Dealing with reputable exchanges is OK with the banks? Well, what is reputable.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 04:12:46 PM

They all use the bank zachodni because german banks close bank accounts if you trade with the wrong bitcoin user.
How can a bank know with which bitcoin user I traded? Where can I read such issues in English? Dealing with reputable exchanges is OK with the banks? Well, what is reputable.

Im not sure how the banks are handling it but i believe when a private persons bank account has unusal high transactions with many different actions they will be cautious. They will fear money laundering and will close the account because its easier to close the account than checking if its really money laundering. They have enough customers that wont make them such work left.

Then they check the other users that traded with that account and so on. If they make the work to ask back what it was about and they hear "Bitcoin" most banks will close the account. Bank Zachodni is a bank that wont close so fast. Thats why they is used for that.

I wouldnt advise using your normal bank account for transaction with private persons, only with exchanges. At least iam wouldnt want to risk losing the account i use for my daily live.

miernik

Activity: 334

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 04:21:37 PM

Then they check the other users that traded with that account and so on. If they make the work to ask back what it was about and they hear "Bitcoin" most banks will close the account. Bank Zachodni is a bank that wont close so fast. Thats why they is used for that.

I will add something to this: Bank Zachodni actually charges about 1.20 EUR per each incoming SEPA transfer, which means they make a lot of money off people who have lots of incoming transfers, so that may be one of the reasons they are not closing these accounts - as the account makes them enough income to deal with it even if there is a problem.

For banks where incoming transfers are free of charge, such customers don't make them any money, and if they have more work with these accounts, they are actually losing money, so they're more keen to close the accounts.

Bitventurer

Activity: 488

S P 8 D E

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 06:10:58 PM

Is there any service on the forum which "helps" to open a bank in Poland remotely ?

SP8DE - The Game of Chance. Changed.
miernik

Activity: 334

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 06:18:41 PM

Is there any service on the forum which "helps" to open a bank in Poland remotely ?

Yes, its called Ryanair Wink

Seriously, no bank in Poland, and probably most if not all other countries, will open a bank account to a foreigner who didn't come at least once to the bank branch physically.

There are banks which have methods of opening accounts without coming to the branch physically, but these methods work only if you are a local resident, as they require local ID numbers or similar stuff like that, that the bank can verify some way that you actually exist. Foreigners must just come to the bank branch physically, period. In most places of the world, except perhaps some typical offshore heavens where foreigners are the majority of their banks customers.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 08:24:39 PM

Yes, its called Ryanair Wink

Seriously, no bank in Poland, and probably most if not all other countries, will open a bank account to a foreigner who didn't come at least once to the bank branch physically.

There are banks which have methods of opening accounts without coming to the branch physically, but these methods work only if you are a local resident, as they require local ID numbers or similar stuff like that, that the bank can verify some way that you actually exist. Foreigners must just come to the bank branch physically, period. In most places of the world, except perhaps some typical offshore heavens where foreigners are the majority of their banks customers.

I only have read that most users used google translate to understand the forms. I doubt you have to visit them.

Marlex

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:37:36 PM

I have lived in Poland for about 10 years, it's possibly because of the sheer number of different banks, well over 50 last time I checked. With such compitition perhaps they have to offer something others can't/wont. Also Poland's MASSIVELY into tech, up there with the world leaders.
bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:09:48 AM

Although the sheer amount of banks, neither will accept bank account opening for foreigners online.
And concerning the fees: Polish banks or rather the regulators are pretty resistant to EU regulations, but by February they will have to comply and SEPAs will be free according to the regulation from 2009.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: