Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:19:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barriers to Access for the Average Joe  (Read 494 times)
XarRos (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:59:51 AM

Hi everyone,

I wanted to comment on the difficulty for someone like myself (average joe) to get involved, and become a member of the bitcoin community at this stage.

It is in my very limited understanding, that it is in the interest of the community for as many people as possible to become users. Right?

So why is it so difficult? - Yes the bitcoin website, explains it ok. Download the client, and you're set. But still I think this could be improved. Also other 'important' information like encryption, and other bits are sprinkled throughout this forum, and in other places, making them quite hard to find.

Are there things currently in motion to improve access to people who are not software developers? If so, what?

I guess my question is how do we improve the current packaging? My first thought would be a nicely edited video taking users from the very beginning to a point where they've been set up securely and given an understanding on how to stay secure, would be a good starting point?

There are many many things that could be done to improve accessibility.

Heck the better the community is at this, the less you guys will keep getting bugged with the same questions over and over again.

Thoughts?

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 10:17:52 AM

LOL Tongue While I can agree with what you've had in mind even on this forum I see people posting the same questions who obviously haven't bothered even glancing around at stickies or anything so whether or not getting a list works is in open question realistically. I'm not a programmer, I'm an artist mainly and I have absolutely no idea about encryption or anything of the sort beyond their definitions and what they're used for, what I found was that the basic way you use Bitcoin, sending transactions and buying stuff. Was the easiest thing I had ever done in my life and it was pretty much what converted me from using a bank account.

When it comes to putting a password on your client that's pretty easy too so I don't understand why there would be a huge fuss about it, but what always gets me are the explanations for storing your Bitcoins offline and solo mining instructions/troubleshooting ( which of course the rabble crowd here refuses to tell you about because it isn't profitable despite you not wanting to do it for profit ) are the main ones I can think of with regards to user friendliness.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: