Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:34:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL batch 1 & 2 customers: Do you really wanna have a ticking time bomb?  (Read 3230 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:37:02 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 01:29:46 PM by Frizz23

All quotes from BFL_Josh, 29th Mar 2013: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1b8hvt/bfl_josh_updates_on_asic_status_full_transcript/

Performance: "If the cooling becomes an issue, like I said, we'd scale it back and ship multiple units."
-> there goes another one of BFLs promises down the drain: the superb overvlocking ability

Power consumption: "... it's not 1w/GH and we're trying to locate the source of the power drain. It may require a revision of the substrate and/or the PCB."
-> it seems batch #1 and #2 customers get nothing more than a prototype because some major corrections/redesigns might be necessary for the next batches

Guinea pigs: "... I'm thinking no one is going to care at the moment they just want to hash. Which is why we'll be shipping and then improving as we go."
-> Yeah, that's what cowboys do: shoot first - think later

Prototype: It seems BFL finally managed to get something like a prototype up and running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C4bgho5JSI
Originally advertised values for a Single SC: 40 Watt while hashing (at 40GHash/s).
Actual values for this little prototype board (with unknown hashrate): 42 Watt idle (!!), 160 Watt when hashing

Stability: "We are trying to nail it down. We have some boards at 1.76w, some at 2.5 and some at 4 and one at 6 ... What's causing even more consternation is the fact that the wafer we burned for tests runs at far less power than a second wafer we mounted on the BGA package... so it may be a wafer by wafer thing, and since we only have two datapoints, it's hard to nail down the issue. We're rolling the other 4 wafers off the line shortly (they may be done already I think) - and that will at least give us an idea of the power consumption between wafers with 6 data points."
-> unpredictable behaviour of the devices (intermittent errors, the worst that can happen in engineering, because it makes it especially hard to track down the source of error)

Long-term testing: Unknown. The devices might run fine for years - or blow up after a few hours. No one knows ...

Good luck with that, batch #1 and #2 customers! To reach break even in a reasonable time your ASIC devices have to run stable 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Or at least don't blow up due to overheating after 10 minutes ...

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:02:24 PM

Nightly News Headline: "Bitcoin miner burns apartment building down due to over heating chips in a device designed by Butterfly Labs."

Roll Eyes

Is it worth it guys?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:13:15 PM

Haha, you guys are just two fucking losers. No matter what BFL does, there will be a new thread full of shit with you two assholes running your mouths.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:17:30 PM

Haha, you guys are just two fucking losers. No matter what BFL does, there will be a new thread full of shit with you two assholes running your mouths.

And no matter what BFL does to its investors you will be there to lick their balls and help get people on the scam-band wagon.  Cheesy

Edit: Yes I am a loser that was able to make over 2000% gains by using bitcoins to buy litecoins and trade back and forth, while you suckers wait on BFL's every word like they are god. lol so fail...

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:18:44 PM

That's very sad. BFL is such a reputable company serving their customers with a top notch customer service and still some people publicly rant on them  Wink
wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:32:42 PM

Favorite quote from the video:

"It's drawing 160 watts, the power regulator is only rated for 1/3 of that. But don't worry, the next unit will have 2 regulators."

Time to pick up a few fire extinguishers!
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:38:03 PM

Now you have me a little worried.  I actually thought they would be shipping in a week or two.  Can anyone tell me if this has to pass UL certification before shipping?   Since it is made in the USA I would assume it would have to (since even my desk lamp that cost $9.99 at walmart has that sticker).    How long does that cert take?   Surely, it does not just take a day or two?

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:41:07 PM

Now you have me a little worried.  I actually thought they would be shipping in a week or two.  Can anyone tell me if this has to pass UL certification before shipping?   Since it is made in the USA I would assume it would have to (since even my desk lamp that cost $9.99 at walmart has that sticker).    How long does that cert take?   Surely, it does not just take a day or two?

Honestly, with BFL's track record of keeping promises...I would get a refund, buy bitcoins, or order an AVALON.

BFL isn't going to ship anytime soon.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:43:16 PM

Now you have me a little worried.  I actually thought they would be shipping in a week or two.  Can anyone tell me if this has to pass UL certification before shipping?   Since it is made in the USA I would assume it would have to (since even my desk lamp that cost $9.99 at walmart has that sticker).    How long does that cert take?   Surely, it does not just take a day or two?

I just image Josh having to pay the UL office a visit  Cheesy

UL clerk: "Please sir, tell me something about your power supply."
Josh: "It's drawing 160 watts, the power regulator is only rated for 1/3 of that. But don't worry, the next unit will have 2 regulators."
UL clerk: "Um ... next please!!"

ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 02:16:15 PM

+1

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 02:20:00 PM

Now you have me a little worried.  I actually thought they would be shipping in a week or two.  Can anyone tell me if this has to pass UL certification before shipping?   Since it is made in the USA I would assume it would have to (since even my desk lamp that cost $9.99 at walmart has that sticker).    How long does that cert take?   Surely, it does not just take a day or two?

I just image Josh having to pay the UL office a visit  Cheesy

UL clerk: "Please sir, tell me something about your power supply."
Josh: "It's drawing 160 watts, the power regulator is only rated for 1/3 of that. But don't worry, the next unit will have 2 regulators."
UL clerk: "Um ... next please!!"

I most certainly hope this is the case. That way the first preorders aren't the customers screwed the most by power failing units that consume 2-3 times their rated amount of power, while customers who haven't waited as long automatically get upgraded units. If they could do a "trade in 2 rev 1 boards and get a rev 2 board" deal, I'd love to see that.
nagnagnag2

Activity: 142

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:37:26 PM

"It's drawing 160 watts, the power regulator is only rated for 1/3 of that. But don't worry, the next unit will have 2 regulators."

Hmm....

160 / 3 = 53

53 * 2 = 106

Which other regulator is going to provide the missing 54 Watts?
witherworth

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:46:38 PM

Hmm....

160 / 3 = 53

53 * 2 = 106

The one already on there? It was designed for 60 watts, so I'm assuming they can cover at least that much. It's the excess over 60 that they have to work about.
nagnagnag2

Activity: 142

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:02:39 PM

Hmm....

160 / 3 = 53

53 * 2 = 106

The one already on there? It was designed for 60 watts, so I'm assuming they can cover at least that much. It's the excess over 60 that they have to work about.

No.

"the next unit will have 2 regulators."

So where is the missing 54 Watts coming from?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 05:39:52 PM

The UL certification is not required by the federal government, but many municipalities require it, thus it's prudent that BFL supply it to be compliant in those municipalities otherwise be fined.

It's the FCC regulations that must be stringently adhere to, of which Josh adamantly claimed they were awaiting results back in a couple weeks back in September, for the FCC was still testing the units that weren't even built yet. To date, they still don't have a working unit to send out for testing. But, once approved, any changes to the units must be re-approved, whereupon new labels are made and need to be affixed to all units, of which can be handle at the rate of 500 per day by any autistic employee.
Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:50:47 PM

It's the FCC regulations that must be stringently adhere to, of which Josh adamantly claimed they were awaiting results back in a couple weeks back in September, for the FCC was still testing the units that weren't even built yet. To date, they still don't have a working unit to send out for testing.

You aren't hinting that BFL/Josh lied to us, are you?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 05:57:02 PM

It's the FCC regulations that must be stringently adhere to, of which Josh adamantly claimed they were awaiting results back in a couple weeks back in September, for the FCC was still testing the units that weren't even built yet. To date, they still don't have a working unit to send out for testing.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/hinting?s=t
rpgman1

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 06:02:08 PM

It doesn't even matter anymore. Avalon didn't have to go through all the regulations and red tape that BFL does. Heck, even our gov't agencies are very slow to process anything. If anything, BFL has to overcome even more obstacles here in the USA compared to Avalon in China.
Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:08:10 PM

BFL_Josh: "If the cooling becomes an issue, like I said, we'd scale it back and ship multiple units."

60GH/s!!! Has anyone seen this device? Me wanna buy!  Grin

witherworth

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:01:44 AM

He wouldn't! Would be? He couldn't! Could he? >.<#
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: