Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:45:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shouldn't non productive topics be moved from Bitcoin Discussion to Off-Topic?  (Read 2977 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2016, 08:40:50 PM

But as Lauda said, it has been reported and nothing gets done.
I didn't exactly say "nothing" has been done. My initial sentence was wrongful, as a decent amount of threads were handled by Cyrus during the time in which they were a global moderator (I had forgotten about it). However, generally I'm unsatisfied with the situation regarding the low quality posts that we've seen in 2016.

The beginners and help sub-forum. What a hell hole. Good luck finding useful beginner info there
We have been activelly planing a way to 'combat' the problem since that section is very important. Today we have started executing our plan. You can read about it in this thread. The idea was Mitchell's.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 09:52:30 PM

lol, that'll work.

So no direct action against your farmed accounts.
Everything they write by their very nature is spam. You just want them to hide it a bit better?
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 01:17:38 AM

Well, it's good to see that at least some action has been done to prevent the spam from spreading. I see a few grammatical errors like you referring to yourself in 3rd person but I guess it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A good idea I think would work even better is just a section for beginners that's above the normal beginners+help that's got posts moved into there directly from the normal b+h to actually help beginners. Just my two cents, I'm just overall glad to see action being done against this issue.

This is the part I'm referring to, it bugs me quite a bit when I read it.
The creation of General threads was thought off by Mitchell and Lauda, discussed with Cyrus and approved by theymos.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 05:50:00 AM

You all know what topics I'm talking about. Bitcoin Discussion became the new Gambling section.
It's full of shitposts, with a lot of guys just spamming hard without reading what other people already answered to the thread.

I gave up on cleaning the forum from sig spams, but I want to make Bitcoin Forum great again! this to be a bit of what it were back in the day I joined this forum.
"Hur dur u have an ad sig too". Yeah, good point, but check my post history and you'll see that I barely post, mostly on my localized section that doesn't even pay me a penny.

Can we please keep Bitcoin Discussion to Discussions only? Things that aren't "What you would do with 1 BTC", these posts aren't productive.
I feel that even reddit is a bit cleaner than here because at least it has less shitposts.

Moderation and theymos, please I beg to make this forum useful and not a trash talk for easy money place.

Yes. I go to the gambling discussion thread sometimes and most of the threads there are "Is gambling a sin?", "I lost my wife because of gambling" and many many more of the same useless topics. It is not a prediction thread or a tipster thread or an event thread so why is it considered and left alone in Gambling? It belongs to Off Topic in my opinion.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2016, 10:41:11 AM

So no direct action against your farmed accounts.
Preventing spam is *direct action*. You need to understand the staff ranking system.

This is the part I'm referring to, it bugs me quite a bit when I read it.
The creation of General threads was thought off by Mitchell and Lauda, discussed with Cyrus and approved by theymos.
What's wrong with it? I posted it primarily so that I could edit it myself.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2016, 08:51:05 PM

I see that many topics in beginners section were locked. Good step by moderators. Now it will be good if they do same thing in bitcoin discussion and gsmbling discussion boards.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 10:57:10 PM

Can we please keep Bitcoin Discussion to Discussions only? Things that aren't "What you would do with 1 BTC", these posts aren't productive.
They should, as 99.9% of the posts within those threads are useless garbage. I have already complained about this, and there has been little action from the global moderators and/or admins so far.

Threads that should be either locked/moved/trashed:
Is bitcoin being used for illegal activities - 1401 Posts
Will you accept bitcoin as your salary? - 1711
how bitcoin is popular in your country ? - 634
Have you ever lost Bitcoin? - 1106
If i give you 10 BTC what will you do? - 3609
Getting My First Whole Bitcoin? - 827
Will you happy if go to supermarket paid with bitcoin? - 645
Are you buying bitcoins? Why? - 3936
Doubling Bitcoin? - 1741
Do you use bitcoin as currency or investment? - 1695
{share} how you get your first 1 btc? - 169
I spent all my saving on bitcoin, now i am broke - 479
What value does Bitcoin bring to you? - 228
2016, The Year of Bitcoin? - 2112
Bitcoin can disappear? - 690
How to tell your Girlfirend about BitcoiN?? - 624
Satoshi is a girl? - 429
What is your plan to get rich with Bitcoin? - 4653
What can i do with 3 Bitcoin? - 428
This is a total of 26 900+ posts on the first page (at the time of pulling data), and I've probably missed some threads as well.

Just wait until people that are either directly spamming there, or part of the farming industry to pop up here in an attempt to defend this pile of garbage.

Update: Corrected a statement.

Actually that's nice suggestion, i'll move some of my started threads to off-topics Smiley
Maybe someone could ask them to lock/move their threads.

I noticed my thread on your list and in fairness it could probably do with locking and deleting?
It was supposed to be a way to find useful information, but instead became a scam megathread that was out of control (and I didn't know what to do with it).
Most of the topics theere are probable meant for the same way, maybe threads should be automatically be locked after 10/20 pages have been gone through.

Also, Lauda or anyone on this forum, if you find another thread of mine that appears to be useless in its position or is filled with spam, I'm happy to take a PM and move it to a more appropriate location (or to lock and move it to archive).
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2016, 11:05:57 PM

Actually that's nice suggestion, i'll move some of my started threads to off-topics Smiley
Just lock your own thread.

I see that many topics in beginners section were locked. Good step by moderators.
Yes, we cracked down on that section and hopefully we will be able to keep it that way.

I noticed my thread on your list and in fairness it could probably do with locking and deleting?
Well, if you got *some* useful information out of it, you can always just move and/or lock it.

Also, Lauda or anyone on this forum, if you find another thread of mine that appears to be useless in its position or is filled with spam, I'm happy to take a PM and move it to a more appropriate location (or to lock and move it to archive).
Thank you for being willing to participate in this (I can't say the same for some members).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 11:47:04 PM

I've noticed that if a new topic like this comes up from a newbie it gets neuked almost instantly but the good old crappy 'what would you do if I gave you 10btc' and useless shit is still plastered all over. Let's see what we have on the front page today shall we...

"Who uses bitcoin?" everyone on this forum.. NEXT
"What are you doing with bitcoin" Exactly what I'm doing with fiat... NEXT!
"How bitcoin is popular in your country" I don't know that it is but i'd love to see the explanation.. oh... just shitty English. NEXT!
"Why do you have bitcoin?" - same as what I'm doing with bitcoin. Same as fiat. NEXT
"2017 year of the bitcoin" predictions should be in speculation shouldn't they? NEXT!
"Will you accept Bitcoin as your salary?" Sure. NEXT!
"Any safe way to grow my bitcoins?" ya. Earn more and HODL. NEXT!
"Easiest way to earn bitcoin" shitpost on that thread for BTC NEXT!
"Pros and cons of using new bitcoin addresses for each transaction" the most legitimate thread I've seen yet. It'll be full of shitposts soon enough though.

Well that's as far as I'm going to go. Enough time has been wasted on reporting these threads. Is it only Theymos, Cyrus or Hilariousandco that can do anything about it?

Soon to come are the much anticipated:

"What would you do with FOUR Bitcoins???"
"Have you talked about bitcoins with your pet?"
"Why doesn't your Grandma own Bitcoins?"
"Satoshi is my uncle's friends' dog's brother's cousin"
"Are you selling bitcoins? Why?"
"Is Bitcoin are be good or is it am are it there am is bad?" (voted most likely to be spammed by illiterate sig spammers)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 12:02:59 AM

I've noticed that if a new topic like this comes up from a newbie it gets neuked almost instantly but the good old crappy 'what would you do if I gave you 10btc' and useless shit is still plastered all over. Let's see what we have on the front page today shall we...
Well, not exactly 'nuked', but usually they get marked as insubstantial and trashed/deleted on sight.

"Who uses bitcoin?" everyone on this forum.. NEXT
"What are you doing with bitcoin" Exactly what I'm doing with fiat... NEXT!
-snip-
Yes, these threads can usually be filled with generic answers and as such become worthless after a fair amount of replies. Afterwards they just get filled with rehashed replies.

Is it only Theymos, Cyrus or Hilariousandco that can do anything about it?
As far as that particular section is concerned, yes.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 12:06:36 AM

The biggest improvement that i can imagine would be an effective way to remove a thread from my "new replies" area.  I have done everything to some and they just keep coming.  I removed them from my watch list, made sure that the "unwatch" option is picked and they keep coming back..... Like that "what would you do with 10BTC" one just mentioned and I love the one about "what would you do if BTC hit $200"..... 

really? it has been over $200 for more than a year, why does the thread still get replies and why is it not locked and better yet, why do I keep seeing it!!! Lol, but I digress, it is the forum software and I have suffered from the issue in other forums, including some I have hosted and some I have modded for
majorX

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:29:09 AM

I don't think so. Those topics are discussing Bitcoin, so they have their place here. It has now the same function as the new "Gambling discussion" section.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 08:37:23 AM

I don't think so. Those topics are discussing Bitcoin, so they have their place here. It has now the same function as the new "Gambling discussion" section.
No, they are not discussing Bitcoin dircetly. They are discussing useless general stuff that isn't Bitcoin specific (and/or personal experiences), which could also be answered properly within the first page. Such posts are extremely useless in most cases and just end up wasting your time reading through them. They should be moved into Off-Topic at least, or optimally locked and forbidden.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cpfreeplz
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 01:19:43 PM

No, they are not discussing Bitcoin dircetly. They are discussing useless general stuff that isn't Bitcoin specific (and/or personal experiences), which could also be answered properly within the first page. Such posts are extremely useless in most cases and just end up wasting your time reading through them. They should be moved into Off-Topic at least, or optimally locked and forbidden.

Maybe we should have some spam fighters? Like, fight fire with fire? So whoever created the topic we just have 100 people send them 5-10PMs a day saying "lock your useless thread *link* or the spam to your inbox will continue.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 01:39:55 PM

Maybe we should have some spam fighters? Like, fight fire with fire? So whoever created the topic we just have 100 people send them 5-10PMs a day saying "lock your useless thread *link* or the spam to your inbox will continue.
Fighting spam by producing PM spam is actually a very horrible way of trying to accomplish this. Some of those users also may not want to lock their threads for the obvious reasons (they are either spamming themselves or facilitating spam).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cpfreeplz
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 03:09:45 PM

Fighting spam by producing PM spam is actually a very horrible way of trying to accomplish this. Some of those users also may not want to lock their threads for the obvious reasons (they are either spamming themselves or facilitating spam).

OK umm... public hangings? As one of the 'little people' on this forum I feel like we have absolutely no say/control when it's pretty clear most people that are here for legitimate reasons feel that these threads should be abolished. Why are there so few mods that can do anything??
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 03:36:42 PM

Bad idea. It would be easier for moderators to lock threads, rather than force people to lock them.
In any case, I don't think PMs would bother anybody. Especially if you don't expect serious messages here.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 04:59:42 PM

Bad idea. It would be easier for moderators to lock threads, rather than force people to lock them.
In any case, I don't think PMs would bother anybody. Especially if you don't expect serious messages here.

Well ya but how many times has that been said already? And what has been done about it? So obviously if we keep doing what we've always done we'll always get the same results. Isn't that the definition of insanity?!
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 08:40:59 PM

Correct. The best that an user can do is to send out PMs to the topic creators and ask them nicely to lock them to prevent more spam. Unfortunately, from my own experience this isn't always successful.

So obviously if we keep doing what we've always done we'll always get the same results. Isn't that the definition of insanity?!
No, because what we're mentioning here is not being done or is rarely done.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 10:29:16 PM

I'd quite like the feeling of logging on after a few days and seeing I've got 100 new messages.

Well, if you got *some* useful information out of it, you can always just move and/or lock it.

Thank you for being willing to participate in this (I can't say the same for some members).

There is only a certain amount that moderators can track (and browsing 60/67 pages of useless information is not recommended for them). So it would be great if other users could take a proactive part and think "that threads too full, lets just tell them and see if they do anything" before they clog the moderator's inboxs (moderators won't delete or lock it anyway as it is not techincally against any rules of the forum).

I have so far recieved a few recommendations while I've been here (including this one) and have tried to solve these issues so that everyone can enjoy this forum and find the information they need. I have moved that thread to off topic and if it continues to be spammed I will lock it and move it to archive.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: