Bitcoin Forum
December 11, 2016, 04:20:35 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Government vs Bitcoin ?  (Read 5060 times)
farmer_boy

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 09:17:32 PM

We do _not_ have a working self-replicating 3D printer yet. reprap.org is often marketed as one, but you still have to do lots of human labour to replicate one. When the day comes that you can replicate the original in a day without human effort, can use more materials than currently supported, have a lot less variance (this is manufacturing!), that will be the day where you can think about printing cars, etc.

Currently, we have hyped technology that can create plastic items (that cannot even contain all liquids without leaking). It's a great project, but to think it will be "done" in 5-10 years is a mistake. If anything, major advances could come from increases in processing power, but they have to be enormous (kind of like how GPUs have been growing in capability in a limited domain of computations), but I don't see it happening. I used to, but progress has been too slow over the past 5 years in this area.

For example we really should have been able to buy memristor based technology by now.

Test sending bitcoins to this address: 1P2NYce9Gj2eDN1GQNYaxkjm1npvmdqY4F

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tyler

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 09:23:00 PM

We do _not_ have a working self-replicating 3D printer yet. reprap.org is often marketed as one, but you still have to do lots of human labour to replicate one. When the day comes that you can replicate the original in a day without human effort, can use more materials than currently supported, have a lot less variance (this is manufacturing!), that will be the day where you can think about printing cars, etc.

Currently, we have hyped technology that can create plastic items (that cannot even contain all liquids without leaking). It's a great project, but to think it will be "done" in 5-10 years is a mistake. If anything, major advances could come from increases in processing power, but they have to be enormous (kind of like how GPUs have been growing in capability in a limited domain of computations), but I don't see it happening. I used to, but progress has been too slow over the past 5 years in this area.

For example we really should have been able to buy memristor based technology by now.

Portland Oregon is working on a community owned laser project

[ Public Key: http://pdxbrain.com/pubkey.rsa ] [ Donations: 1DGfqRVeoFHyZnTTtCrufNByrcdpgUuQ2K ] [ IRC: tylergillies ] [ Support Project Daemon ]

Agora, Anarchy, Action!
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:10:50 PM

How is one going to buy let's say a car underground? Cars have to be registered, etc. Transactions above certain amounts have to be registered, etc. How is Bitcoin or an alternative system going to get around that? For digital goods one could use Bitcoin, but most  interesting goods are not digital.

Well, if you want a new Mercedes Benz or something like that, then you will need to buy it in the old economy.  However, I could envision a resourceful agorist buying an old clunker with some national currency and restoring it to like new condition and then selling it for Bitcoins.  When you register the car, which would already have a title, you would only have to pay taxes on its old, unrestored value. 

In the future, there will be a greater availability of desktop manufacturing devices and eventually molecular manufacturing machines, so the percentage of the world economy that can be delivered digitally is only going to increase.

So commodity markets will be even bigger in the future. Imagine buying exotic matters so that you could print them with your machine.

Watch out for copyrights! "You wouldn't copy a car would you?" ;-)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:11:46 PM

Was anybody here talking about reprap being finished in few years ?
Reprap is probably decades from "completion" meaning when it will be possible to print something complex with it, without the need of any human intervention...

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:14:52 PM

Reprap is probably decades from "completion" meaning when it will be possible to print something complex with it, without the need of any human intervention...

Rerap made possible makerbot. Makerbot make more makerbot operators, who are hacker type. More hackers mean more effort. More effort mean more inventing and innovation.

Currently, you can basically mass produce on a small scale plastic objects.

tyler

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:52:54 PM

Rerap made possible makerbot. Makerbot make more makerbot operators, who are hacker type. More hackers mean more effort. More effort mean more inventing and innovation.

Currently, you can basically mass produce on a small scale plastic objects.

mass produced small plastic objects. exactly what the world needs more of

[ Public Key: http://pdxbrain.com/pubkey.rsa ] [ Donations: 1DGfqRVeoFHyZnTTtCrufNByrcdpgUuQ2K ] [ IRC: tylergillies ] [ Support Project Daemon ]

Agora, Anarchy, Action!
farmer_boy

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:56:30 PM

I sensed a strong suggestion by some people before me that 3D printing technology is already a miracle technology. Your prediction is closer to what I would predict.

FYI, in various videos they claim literallly "within 5 to 10 years you will all have your own RepRap and you can then just print another one for a friend by pressing a button". That's the marketing I am talking about. That time duration is a unfounded number. As a wise man said "Making predictions is hard, especially about the future".

Test sending bitcoins to this address: 1P2NYce9Gj2eDN1GQNYaxkjm1npvmdqY4F
The Madhatter

Activity: 490

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 12:26:36 AM

Watch out for copyrights! "You wouldn't copy a car would you?" ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.